mulching blade

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

How effective is the cutting blade vs a dedicated mulching blade? Will you offer a "mulching blade" in the future?
Photo of Ed Erris

Ed Erris

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Ed, thanks for your question. The blade installed on the EGO Power+ mower is, in fact, a  mulching blade. It was designed specifically for the EGO mower.  The configuration of the underside of the mower deck was engineered to maximize mulching action with the EGO blade and with the mulching plug installed. At this time, we only offer our current blade.  You don’t need an additional blade for successful mulching.
Photo of Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson

• 644 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I thought that the blade on the Ego mower was a 3-in-1 blade (mulching + side discharge + bagging).   I only mulch my lawn, and I would also be very interested in an optimized mulch-only blade.  

Consumer Reports says that the Ego LM2000 mower is only  "good"  in mulching, and it leaves clumps.  My old Honda gas mower (HRX217) was excellent at mulching.  This is why I am interested in an upgraded mulching blade (perhaps a Gator mulching blade).

Hi Scott, the 3-in-1 function is for the mower (not the blade).  3-in-1 is for mulching, side discharging and bagging.  We hear your concerns about mulching with a dedicated blade and if we rework anything, we will certainly update the community.
Photo of Prashant

Prashant

• 60 Points
How do I put mower in mulching mode? IF I remove bag, does it automatically start spitting out the mulch?

Hi Prashant, you'll want to remove the bag and put in the mulching insert.  More information can be found in your owner's manual on page 16.  Here's an online version of the manual: http://bit.ly/1l2o0vg
Photo of Frank

Frank

• 324 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Most likely the power and rpm needs to be improved/increased for the Ego mower to do the same job a gas mower does.  I mulch all of the time with my Gas mower that was designed strictly for mulching.  Also the blade is strictly a mulching blade, the deck is strictly for mulching and not a combo blade.   In all fairness I have not used the Ego mower yet,  but sounds like it would be a better bagger mower then a mulching mower.  Not saying it wont mulch, but it will not do the job my gas mulching mower does.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Maybe not, but it mulches just fine for me and I don't have to deal with the hassle of a gas mower.
Photo of Frank

Frank

• 324 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
My yard is way to big for a push mower also.  Probably great for small lots or trimming.
Photo of Doug Tennant

Doug Tennant

• 340 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
With a gas mower, it took me a full tank of gas to mulch my yard. With the Ego electric 21 in self propelled I can mulch my yard 3 times on a charge. So it's for any size yard were a 21 in mower would be used.
Photo of Dianna

Dianna

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I had a similar question regarding the mulching blade after purchasing the Ego a few weeks back.  I only mulch when I mow to and notice that the Ego tends to not mulch as well as my old Black and Decker mower.  the Ego definitely leaves clumps.
Photo of Christian

Christian

• 60 Points
I've mowed this morning a wet St-Augustine grass and it did not leave clumps.

Photo of Dianna

Dianna

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I've mowed several time (maybe 5 since I've had it) and my grass is dry, but it still seems to clump more than my previous electric mower.
Photo of Roger

Roger

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have the same problem regarding the mulching; its not mulching enough can something be done about this problem?
Photo of Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson

I would like to put a Gator mulching blade on the Ego mower (from Oregon Corp.).  What is the hole size needed for the Ego mower?  And should the Gator blade  "lifters"  point up or down on the Ego mower?

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/oep/g6.htm

(Edited)

We cannot recommend or support the use of blades from any other manufacturers; they have not been tested on the EGO mower. Please note that the EGO blade that is shipped on your mower is, in fact, a mulching blade that was designed specifically for the EGO mower.  The configuration of the underside of the mower deck was engineered to maximize mulching action with the EGO blade and with the mulching plug installed.

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

I very much wanted to try ANY other blade, as I have to cut my grass every 2-3 days to prevent constant overload shutoffs during mowing.  I prefer to exclusively mulch, but find that the performance is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced when mulching rather than bagging.

After spending several hours on the Oregon site, it appears that there are no universal or custom blades currently manufactured that will fit this mower.

Here are the required specs for a universal/aftermarket blade to fit:

• Length:  19 3/8" (max clearance 19 5/8")

• Center hole diameter: 11/16"

• Outside hole diameter:  3/8"

• Outside hole spacing:  1 7/8"

I am tired of removing, sharpening, and coating the blade with silicone before each cutting, but will NOT buy another of the current blade to swap out due to its poor performance.  It would definitely be in Ego's best interest to develop a better dedicated mulching blade.

Photo of Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson

Home Depot is out of stock of the AB2000 blade on-line.  According to Home Depot customer support (Kevin), they will be back in-stock  "the week of July 1".  And the Ego web page for the blade just points to the Home Depot web site.

So having an alternate for the Ego blade is very important.  What is the hole size for the Ego blade so that we can identify an alternative blade?   And in my case, an alternative blade that is optimized for mulching.

Thanks,

Scott

(Edited)

Scott, replacement blades are available over the phone with our customer service department until Home Depot is back in stock.  Please give us a call for any replacements you need.  We do not recommend alternate blades at this time.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Hard to believe the company is so opposed to providing the specs for the OEM blade. That's just poor customer service.

As posted above, here are my measurements of the specs for a universal/aftermarket blade to fit:

Length: 19 3/8" (max clearance 19 5/8")
Center hole diameter: 11/16"
Outside hole diameter: 3/8"
Outside hole spacing: 1 7/8"
Photo of Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson

Thank you Jennifer.

We cannot recommend or support the use of blades from any other manufacturers; they have not been tested on the EGO mower. Please note that the EGO blade that is shipped on your mower is, in fact, a mulching blade that was designed specifically for the EGO mower.  The configuration of the underside of the mower deck was engineered to maximize mulching action with the EGO blade and with the mulching plug installed.

Since Consumer Reports only rates the Ego mower  "good"  in mulching, I was hoping to replace the existing Ego mower blade with something more aggressive.   Does Ego actually manufacture the Ego mower blade or do you just purchase it from a blade manufacturer?

I would like to encourage Ego to try to improve and optimize the mulching capability of the mower.  I only mulch, and Dianna (above) mentioned the same in her post.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi, Scott. The EGO mower blade is manufactured to our specifications by a manufacturer of high-quality blades. We will take your comments and recommendations to our product development team. Thanks for writing.
(Edited)
Photo of David

David

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
What is the worst thing that might happen if another manufacturer's dedicated mulching blade were to be installed, assuming that its specifications matched, within an acceptable degree of tolerance, the EGO blade shipped with the mower?  I agree with others that the mulching performance is just okay but often I have to mow over clumps to make them finer.  It is the weakest element of an otherwise very fine mower.
Photo of Ruedi

Ruedi

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
As David said I would also like to encourage Ego to try to improve and optimize the mulching capability of the mower.  I only mulch, and i  also have to go over clumps to make them finer. It is a poor design for this great mower.
Photo of Treborg

Treborg

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The blade and deck design don't do a great job of continously mulch grass. It seems like the blade packs grass into the deck and keeps it there until the mower stops, then clumps of grass fall out. I have to scrape out the grass stuck in the deck with a piece of wood after each mowing (weekly), which leaves even more grass clumps which I scatter over the lawn with the wood stick. Plus, grass really sticks to the deck material, so either picking another material or coming up with a non-stick coating (paint with a flex additive like on car bumper covers) would help.
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I've noticed when cutting the very thick grass in my backyard that the mower will cut pretty clean intil I hit the end of a row. Once I stop to turn the mower, a huge clump of grass will fall from it. Which I then have to use extra time to cut again.
A bigger complaint I have is that I'm getting more and more individual blades of grass sticking up after I make a pass with the mower.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
wipe clean the underside of your mower and spray it well with silicone lubricant.  You shouldn't have this problem.  Wet grass can be a mess!
Photo of Treborg

Treborg

I tried that a couple of mow cycles. Didn't work with the local grass.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I agree, a silicone spray isn't the universal answer for all grass types and conditions. The Bermuda sod in my backyard was overseeded at some point with something much more coarse that holds so much water that it makes for soggy clippings even in drought conditions. I was having a problem with these clippings especially sticking to the Ego mower deck.

Through trial an error, I have found two things to be most helpful: ensuring that there are no rough spots in the plastic deck and using a graphite coating. The graphite coating is thick like a primer spray, but will not even out any really deep scratches. And after spraying it and allowing to dry, the deck will not feel as smooth with a graphite coating as the bare plastic.

I have cut this thick, coarse, wet grass when it was so bad my mower overloaded several times per pass, the blade literally slowing to a complete stop while mulching, and not had a single blade stick to the deck. Even a razor sharp blade and perfectly clean deck can't prevent all mulching issues, but they make the worst conditions bearable and normal conditions a breeze.
Photo of phil

phil

• 60 Points

I have been waiting for EGO to improve their mulching problem for over a year.  They have heard the problem from hundreds of owners but still do nothing.  No decision in itself is a decision.

I like the many benefits of the mower but can no longer live with the mulching capabilities of this mower.  Going back to gas a scraping this EGO.

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I don't know what your talking about mulching problem. I think it does an excelent job mulching. Are you refering to lifting the grass? Its called mow more than once a month.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I sometimes mow 2 times a week and the mower blade still has no lift to it. I have seen it lay grass down and leave the blade fully in tact. I mow a stretch and look back to see several blades still sticking up in the air.

It's like nothing changes here. We complain and get nothing. That's why I don't even bother posting much any longer. Only came in here because this came up in my email.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim Hulings

Jim Hulings

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am rarely snarky, but the comment "mow more than once a month" shows little understanding of the complete situation.  Yes, how much of the grass blade is being cut off is part of the situation here, but it is more complicated than that.  

I live out west and we have to deal with two things that come into play here.  We have watering restrictions which come with the recommendation to let our lawns grow long to reduce water use.  Plus, the lawns are not always lush and healthy because they are on the dry-side.  When this happens, you can have grass that has the tendency to be lying down even before you mow.  This is when I count on the mower to pull the grass blades upwards when they are being cut off.

If EGO wants to market a mower that is as functional as a gas mower, and they talk a lot about "power," then they need to address this.

Once again, does anyone know how to get EGO engineering/marketing to respond to this?

Thanks.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I agree, the Ego blade is a compromise design that does not perform as well as any other (gas) blade I have ever used. I believe this was done to keep the blade light and reduce strain on the engine. As a result, the blade is softer and generates less lift than typical mulching blades.

I believe that a Gator blade or some similar design would not perform as well on the Ego because of how much heavier it is, and could possibly even damage the motor (or fail to spin up when it senses the heavier load to protect itself). Not that it matters since none of the universal 19" blades fit the Ego mower.

A premium blade would need to be made from a lighter and stronger metal alloy to compensate for its larger size and additional wind resistance (since it would move more air in generating additional lift). I am guessing that a suitable material would be much more expensive, and thus the blade would probably be at least double the price of the standard Ego blade. And though many of us want a better blade, I am not sure that enough would buy at that price to cover the design and production costs.

We can only hope that as the customer base grows, eventually there will be enough demand to make the economics of a premium blade work, if not for Ego then for some third party. I will just say again that I have spent $60 replacing these soft Ego blades in two seasons of use. If a stronger premium blade came out for $50, I am in for two the day it is released.
(Edited)

Jim, we are listening and reporting all of these threads to our engineering team.  Please understand that changes and updates take time.  Know that your comments are not going unheard but we have nothing to update you with at this time.
Photo of Lee L

Lee L

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Any Updates? This is my one complaint. The blade just doesn't pull the grass up enough.
Photo of Doug Tennant

Doug Tennant

What I did was to get a 2nd blade. Shave it down so it just cuts. Welded a flat spot on the main blade to fit the mower shaft. then stack the 2 blades and bend for separation.
Photo of Doug Tennant

Doug Tennant

you want to make sure that the motor does not run in overdrive. And that the mower blades are very well-balanced you will lose battery but you can move much faster and the mulch is much finer. If you want to extend your battery add a side discharge chute the mulch is still very fine.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Nice job!!!
Photo of Tim Wieland

Tim Wieland

Doug - I know this post is old, but wanted to know if you are still using this dual blade setup you created, and whether you are seeing a noticeable difference in the mulching capability of the mower?  I'm considering doing something similar, thanks for the idea!
Photo of Doug Tennant

Doug Tennant

7-5-17 Still using the same set up. Doing a great job.
Photo of Tim Wieland

Tim Wieland

Thanks so much for your post!  Just to confirm, were you having the issue where the mower was leaving long clippings in the left wheel track and then after using your dual blade setup, you no longer have the issue?  
Photo of Doug Tennant

Doug Tennant

The clumping is much less with the 2 blades most of the time there is nothing. You get some if grass gets to tall. I use the EGO blower and blow it into oblivion. Or raise the mower.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Jim, if you check my post history, you will see that I too have mentioned the lack of lift on the blade and even if you only go as far as the post above your most recent one you will see that I mentioned cutting grass and looking back to see blades of grass both laying down and sticking up behind me.

They took the time to put some little plastic contraption on the mower above the blade which they say is little more than a cosmetic change but refuse to make any changes that actually make a difference...ie a blade with more lift and a way to add more cutting height to the mower. More mowing height will help with those watering restrictions because taller grass needs less water overall. 3.5 inches is too short in mid August for me and my tall fescue.

David,

No offense but everything is already expensive about this mower. $40 for a blade...who cares. It has a $400 battery. I paid $500 for the mower itself. Cost isn't an excuse now for it not living up to its potential.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Rob, the only way "a" battery costs "$400" is if you buy the 7.5Ah at full price and include sales tax. The 4Ah battery is included with the mower and charger for $399 in many regions in the U.S.

The original cost of the mower kit was $499, as you said.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Thanks. Yes, I was referring to the full retail price of it. I know that you can find it for less if you search a little. I use full retail price of items because discounted prices can vary greatly from place to place.

That was to show that Ego isn't actually worried about keeping prices low for the customer.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Even at full retail price it isn't a $400 battery. The 4.0Ah battery that comes with the mower sells for $200 on its own, not $400.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

If you have the standard mower kit, you have a rapid charger and a 4.0ah battery. Those two items retail for a total of $300. The mower is also available with the new 5.0ah battery, or the new 7.5ah battery. It also sounds like the vast majority of us have at least a second battery, either purchased separately or included with one of the other tool kits.

However you quantify the amount you've invested in your own Ego power system, it is definitely the largest cost component of the Ego tools. Maybe $400 isn't very close to the amount you have invested personally, but the power backbone of the Ego line definitely isn't cheap.

I wouldn't necessarily say that any corners have been cut in the quality of the tools, but there is definitely market pressure to keep the total initial cost of entry low enough to be affordable for as many customers as possible without selling at a loss. Every dollar that the price goes up, there are fewer customers that will be interested and ultimately decide to purchase. If those dollars go toward features that you do not perceive to add value, they will only increase the cost without any extra benefit.

So it makes perfect sense to include just enough to make a good all-around mower at an appealing price. If the mower included the best bagger known to man but cost a little more, I would feel like I was paying extra for a feature I would never use. Some people don't mulch, and for most I think the Ego blade is "good enough."

But there is clearly demand for a better blade, yet Ego has a unique mounting pattern that prevents use of any other blade than their single "good enough" offering. Hopefully we will eventually see some alternative come to market to satisfy our demand, either from Ego directly or some approved third party.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Ken,

Maybe you'd like to let your fingers take a scroll over to homedepot.com and look at the $379.00 price tag they have attached to the 7.5ah battery. Add tax to that and tell me what the total comes out to.

Not that everyone is buying that battery but someone had the nerve to think that people would buy a battery that is more than the price of mower alone is astounding.

It just proves my point that Ego wasn't taking the cost to the customer in to account when they were making the blade for the mower. That was the only point I was making, nothing more.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Rob, my fingers don't need to walk anywhere; I'm aware of the MSRP of the 7.5Ah battery. When you wrote "it has a $400 battery" I took you to mean the mower has a $400 battery. I now take you to mean Ego has a $400 battery.

I don't see how Ego offering different configurations of its battery packs requires "nerve" on anyone's part. All it requires is adding some more cells and a larger case to an existing battery design, not a complete reengineering and retooling, like a redesigned blade might. It's a specialty item, for sure, that most customers won't need. But it didn't cost Ego much in the way of R&D or manufacturing to offer it for those who do want it.

I don't know what the considerations were for the current blade design, and I don't know whether it's possible to improve the blade significantly and have it still and work on the current mower. I'm guess we'll know if Ego decides to offer a new blade by next mowing season. (Doesn't make much sense to release one this late in the year.)
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

By nerve, I meant audacity. No need for an accessory to cost more than the main unit it's used in.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

No need not to offer an accessory to those who might have use for it.

Hi everyone, we understand our blade’s mulching performance can always improve and we are constantly working to improve our design.  We will keep you updated here should there be a re-design or any changes available.
(Edited)
Photo of Zimonja

Zimonja

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I'm experienced with lithium power and brushless motors, but am new to the technology as applied to electric mowers.. my Ego SP Mower is on its way.  I've always mulched my leaves, so the mulching claim of this mower is of paramount importance.  Personally, I don't care what a true mulching blade would cost.. make it out of titanium alloy and charge a $100 for it if need be - but make it..!!  I will gladly pay the higher price for an aggressive mulching blade that effectively delivers gator blade like performance.

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Zimonja,

I have a large back yard and deal with very heavy waves of leaves.  My ground is completely covered about 4 times over every fall.  I've used the ego with decent success just mulching the leaves.  It dulls the blade very quickly, so sharpening is critical.  It does work.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I will add that several people on this forum, upon receiving their new 21" Ego mowers, unboxed, charged the battery, installed the grass bag and headed out to mow their lawns and were very impressed with the mower's cut quality.

They were more impressed upon checking the bag, only to find it empty... they didn't realize the mulching plug insert is installed from the factory and in fact they were mulching when they thought they were bagging. The grass clippings were shredded to the point of being invisible to the person mowing the lawn.

Perhaps a thick layer of wet leaves will prove more of a challenge, but so far the feedback on mulching performance has been very positive.
Photo of Zimonja

Zimonja

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Sounds promising, I have 3 waves of leaves and traditionally have three fall mulchings.  I just placed an order for a second blade, and will rotate between the two should this prove necessary.   Thanks.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

There you go, and if you want really good results, year round.  Sharpen your blade after every cut.  It's extremely easy to remove, lets you clean and inspect the bottom of the deck while you are at it.  Only takes about 1 minute with a flappy sanding disk to get a razor like edge.  I honestly have fantastic cutting results with this mower and I thank a good part of that to a razor sharp blade.  

One thing some people think you have to do is over tighten the blade.  I snug the bolt, that is all.  I figure if a hit something like a stump, maybe the blade will just spin instead of bending the shaft.  It also makes for a quick removal.

A dull blade will really put a damper on your battery life (cutting time).
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

And as discussed before, having a second blade is a very convenient way of being able to do your sharpening whenever it's convenient for you, and is a fairly small investment for the convenience it offers.

Since most store the mower upright, swapping the blade before use is an extremely easy routine to get into. I don't swap it every time, maybe every 3-4 times, but I also have a relatively small yard to cut.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

No need to rub it in Blue.  :/  I would love to have a small, level yard.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Just make sure you get the right blade. I haven't seen a spot for the 21" blade in any of the stores near me, but I just saw online that all of my local Home Depot locations now say they have at least 3-5 in stock.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Small and level are two different things... no big slopes, for sure, but it's overdue for some attention from a water filled roller!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Blue got a mower, trimmer, chain saw, snow blower, blower, hedge trimmer and 4 7.5AH batteries for this.

LOL!  Sounds about right for Blue!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Hahaha, laugh it up... but you gotta admit that's some pretty nice looking grass, no?

And my gardener looks kinda cute too! :-)
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,340 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I got very good results mulching leaves and fairly long grass with the standard blade the other day.  As I always say results vary base on user expectations.  I am sure some will say they can still see the leaf bits and thus it did not mulch well.  But they are chopped into small enough pieces and within a few days have mostly disappeared.  So, I consider that a good mulching performance as the leaves have been turned into fertilizer which is the point of mulching. And a HUGE bonus - no raking - no bagging - no stickers (have to pay $2 a bag to have the trash man take the bagged leaves away where we live).

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 70,290 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This is what I basically see when mulching with my 21" push model with standard blade. I tend to walk somewhat slowly and the mower does a great job, with the mulch insert in place, mulching our fall leaves. After I do that, I'll take out the insert, slap on the bag and run over everything just to vacuum up any larger bits that didn't get real broken down. Those will usually end up in my compost pile. Works great for me.
(Edited)
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,508 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The release of the High Lift blade sure made this post moot.
Pretty much everything in this thread has been changed by the addition of the HL blade.
If you don't have one, best get one.  They are available on Amazon right now.
https://www.amazon.com/EGO-Power-AB2101-LM2100SP-LM2102SP/dp/B01N39KRRM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

$22 to turn this mower into what you want it to be, IMNSHO
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,908 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
So you are saying the HL blade gives you good mulching results ?  Because that is not the intended purpose of the HL blade and also not my experience.  I got a HL blade based on others posts about how it mulched well.  It did not mulch well on my lawn.
So, I stick with it depends on the grass type, thickness, height, mowing frequency, and operator.  Some have reported better results with the standard, others with the HL.
The HL does what is is named for very well and that is create lift which is great for bagging.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,508 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
it's adequate and it does a good enough job for mulching I don't even use it for bagging at all.
Maybe there's something better out there but it made them more into the mower I wanted.
I would never want to not use it again it was that much better for me.
(Edited)
Photo of FooDooYou

FooDooYou

I replaced my 21" standard Ego blade with the Maxpower 20" universal mulching blade. One of the washer adapters needed to be sanded just a little to make in interior opening slightly larger to fit properly. The Maxpower was only about 1/4" shorter than the Ego blade. The blade was only about 0.3 - 0.04lbs heavier than the standard blade. RPMs of the motor are the same with both blades, but the Maxpower does create about 6-7 decibels more noise, due to the increased airflow. Only complaint is the blade did not come sharp, but that didn't take long to fix. I would never use anything other than a dedicated mulching blade for mulching. 

https://www.amazon.com/Maxpower-331980S-20-Inch-Universal-Mulching/dp/B003VPAEJI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&...
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,754 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Just an FYI - only Ego blades are approved for use with the mower.  Use of any other blade will void your warranty.
Photo of FooDooYou

FooDooYou

It's better to have a mower that works, than to have to return it because it doesn't work right. Once they fix the mulching issue, I'll go back to the stock blade. I just wanted to share options for others having issues with stock blades.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Agreed foodooyou
Photo of John Donaldson

John Donaldson

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

I've had my mower for two months and like it except for the mulching ( my wife is very picky ) so basically have to mow the grass twice. Btw this is a new house with a new Bermuda lawn not very thick at all and it leaves clumps everywhere.

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Yeah, I'm having build up and will have to start bagging.  I've never been happy with the blade performance.  Love the mower, hate the blade.
Photo of Pete Stock

Pete Stock

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Agreed - blade does not stay sharp for very long.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.