Mulching.

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Not EGO

Why won't this mulch like my 2 Toro 21" Reclycler 2 super pro . Bad blade design?
Bad deck design? Love mower, but doesn't mulch good at all.
Photo of Bob Harris

Bob Harris

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 62,940 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Are you under the impression that if you ask the same rhetorical question three times a genie will appear and answer you?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,132 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I dont think we appreciate your reply here. Please refrain from cussing or you will be removed. I can't do it, but Jennifer can.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,254 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Bob, put yourself in Ken's shoes before blowing your stack. This is, just like he said, the third time I've seen a notification for you asking the exact same question.
Photo of Oleg Obukhov

Oleg Obukhov

• 1,288 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Mine is mulching just fine. Don't let your grass grow way too long and you'll have no issues. If you're cutting more than recommended 1/4 of the grass' length - you'll get bad mulching results on any other mower. Even my ex-mower (dual-blade Honda) was not performing great when mulching long grass).
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,254 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Oleg, great looking lawn you have there!

Completely unrelated to the thread topic since I have the 20" mower, but I have started mowing much higher as well at my highest setting of 3.5". For those following along who cut much shorter, cutting longer has its benefits but I've also started cutting twice a week or so. It seems my grass grows faster when cut longer, and to keep to the "1/3 of the blade or less" rule it needs more frequent mowing.

It's also looking much better when cut longer, as the small holes left behind from weeds etc. seem to cover up better and are less visible. I did have to start fertilizing to get the grass strong enough to cut this long, YMMV. Mine is a northern lawn, mainly Kentucky Blue as far as I know.

Sorry to bore those who know this stuff already! :-)
Photo of Jackson Landrum

Jackson Landrum

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Oleg you are getting a like from me because this is the best yard I have ever seen and people always compliment me on my yard.  Kudos!!
Photo of Oleg Obukhov

Oleg Obukhov

Thanks, man :)
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,094 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Still love the look of your lawn...;what type of grass is it? I live in the Pacific Northwest and we have primarily Perennial Rye and Kentucky Bluegrass. It grows pretty well and so with a weekly cutting schedule we might be cutting 1" of grass which doesn't mulch successfully. If cutting only 1/2" then it isn't very noticeable. As I mentioned previously; under the same conditions the 20" mulched beautifully into micro clippings...I really miss that.
Photo of Oleg Obukhov

Oleg Obukhov

Kentucky Bluegrass with a lot of watering (my wife almost kicked me out after we had received our last water bill ;) ), fertilizer, overseeding, aeration and so on :D
Photo of Jackson Landrum

Jackson Landrum

Bob is a prime example for my creating the “Just My Thoughts” thread.  People who have never used electric mowers can only compare to what they have used in the past and it becomes an unfair and apple/orange comparison to electric mowers.    

There does appear to be a concern with the mulching on the 21” SP and it could be that the addition of the self propeller may have some kinks that need to be worked out.  It is one reason that I usually allow a year to pass when major changes are made to any tool, appliance and especially vehicles.  But in reading some of the post I can't help but think this is a need for a Lawn Care 101 refresher. 

First of all I still use a gas powered mower with 165cc and 6.5 hp.  I am here because I am considering the EGO mower, but I am probably one of the leading skeptics on the forum when it comes to electric lawn equipment.  My yard is 99% Bermuda.  Once I start the cutting season, I must cut my yard at least within seven days.  I no longer scalp which I have been told is bad, but I do start my mower on a lower height to clean up debris and leaves from the winter.  I increase the height as the season goes along to where my mower is maxed out by the peak of grass growing season.  The grass grows faster in the peak season and with no ability to raise my mower higher, I have to start cutting more frequent to prevent cutting more than 1/3 at a time.  So I go from cutting once a week to 4-5 days or twice a week.   

If I am really busy my grass has gone beyond the required cutting time which results in trails when I mulch.  On other occasions I have lowered my deck back down to keep Johnson grass low which results in trails when I mulch.  This may/not be a problem of the mower because you get the same results with gas powered mowers.  They do what they are supposed to do.  Instead these may be cutting habits.

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 63,928 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Seriously. Just buy it to try it out. Or i guess keep talking about, we'll, I don't know what. This is a forum for help. I don't know what you are looking for. If your trying to convince yourself not to buy it, then don't. I'm not being rude by the way.
Photo of Jackson Landrum

Jackson Landrum

Uh no, my impulses are not that poor.  It would be silly to buy a mower that can't be used for another month or 2 depending on the weather.  Why would I buy it to sit in my garage for 60 days and lose that time to determine if I want to take it back?  But if it offends you of my being here, I will be happy to move on. 
(Edited)
Photo of Ken Gladen

Ken Gladen

• 60 Points
I have had my EGO SP for 3-4 mowings now. I have noticed that it leaves a windrow along the right side of the deck. I just switched from a Toro recycler that we had for several years. I never had this problem with the toro so these are my thoughts: the blade design is not such that it has a lot of updraft to keep grass suspended to mulch. Yes, cutting more frequently would help. A similar issue with the side discharge in that grass starts building up in the chute. I believe that a side discharge would be better but I understand the challenges with a plastic deck.
I have not tried bagging yet but I would love to get a blade that has a higher lift - even at the cost to battery life.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,234 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There is a high lift blade available for Ego's 21" mowers. It has been out of stock for a while on Amazon but a few lucky people got one.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.