Mower's Ignition key

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not Planned
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: How do I get a safety key?

Hi everyone. Hopefully this doesnt happen to anyone, but in case it does I have a solution for it.

My mower's iginition key fell off the string and got run over when parking the car in the garage.

There wasn't much left of it and after searching for a replacement part online, I decided to design my own. Since 3d printing is very much a thing of the present i have uploaded the part on Thingiverse. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:427573 Is free to download and works perfect. 

If you got any questions, please feel free to ask.
Cheers.
Photo of Milo

Milo

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Very smart thinking! I don't think EGO minds this post one bit. This could be a quick fix while you can possibly order an OEM key. Nice job and thanks for sharing.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Milo, we love your enthusiasm and proactive approach.  However, we would like to encourage our community to please use only EGO branded replacement keys.  Those are in-stock and available right now with our customer service department.  Just give us a call at 1-855-346-5656 and we'll take care of you.  We're available 7 days a week to help!  We will post them for sale on our website in the coming weeks as well.  Sorry for the delay on that!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,900 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I ran mine over with the mower one night. I found that my yard has many ignition keys lying around, they are called sticks. They work great, they just have to be small enough, a 5/16 bolt works too. And they dont need printing.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Jacob, that's funny, but true. I just don't see how you can lose the key, it's on a string.
Photo of Terry

Terry

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
To prevent the loss of the key, I'm wondering why users don't loop the key through the string and secure around the bail handle.
(Edited)
Photo of Milo

Milo

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Im glad the posting generated a little controversy.
Just to clear up a few things:

1.Indeed, this was intended to be a temporary fix. 
The printed key works flawlessly and it was uploaded for the ones who are looking a descent solution while waiting for the arrival of the OEM part.

2. Im an Industrial Designer. I wasn't gonna just use a stick.

3. The string was always attached to the the mowers handle. Unfortunately, (and hopefully this is something to consider for future models) the distance of the string coincides with an awkward gap in the mower when folded, leaving the key stuck at times. If you are not careful at unfolding, the key will rip-off of the cord. 
-If there is something i have always praise about the EGO line-up (i bought all the tools), is the excellent design/engineering team you guys have. That being said, having a safety held by a string, didn't quite fly with me.

4. Thank you Jennifer for providing me with the customer service department info. They were very helpful and today i received my new key and a replacement part for my line trimmer as well. Please let me know when part will be available to order online.

Cheers

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Sorry i said use a stick. A car key works just as good. Or you could have something 3d printed for $50.00 and show people that you can do 3d CAD. Good for you. I write programs that work inside of 3d CAD programs, but I'm not an industrial designer, not any more, that was years ago. I got bored with using CAD systems so i decided to automate them. Perhapse a better option would be to call ego support and order a new ignition key as YOU ruined the one that came with your mower.
Photo of Nicholas Montroll

Nicholas Montroll

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
we love the lawnmower, but when we leave the key dangling (on the lanyard) in the mower is folded, when unfolding, the dangling key catches and the mower does not unfold until lanyard breaks.  suggest changing length of lanyard.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Or, you could just move the key out of the way when you unfold the mower. Given that you know this is a problem for you it should be easy enough to avoid.

If the lanyard is shortened the key won't be able to reach the switch; if it's lengthened it'll be even more prone to getting tangled.

I've never had my key catch when I unfold the mower.
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I agree Ken. I always remove the battery, charge it, and then take the battery inside the house until the next use. I leave the key attached to the mower but don't bother to fold the mower as I have room to leave it unfolded.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I leave the key in the mower. As long as the battery is removed after use there's no safety concern.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I mowed over my key last year. I use sticks now. Or 1/4" bolts. This way my wife can't use it.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That seems like a drastic measure, Jacob! In my case, a simple "Honey, it's ok, I'll cut the grass" would work fine! :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

But on a serious note, perhapse an elastic tether would work better? Like what is used on a jet ski.
Can I dab a bit of super-glue on the tip of the key, so it stays retained without the leash/tether?  Then, it would act like a "button" instead of a "key" being more "permanent" - as long as I don't get any glue where things need to move . . .  Would that be a good "fix"?  (sorry for all the quotations, I got carried away.)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I would use something a bit less permanent.  Hot glue can be removed, yet isn't conductive nor should hurt anything.  I personally don't care for so many "safety" features.  After all, it's a lawn mower.  You still have to pull the handle for it to start.  All companies are going safety nuts.  It won't take long for all products to be ridiculously complicated, just to operate (I'm talking about all manufacturers).  It'll be like playing Twister just to start a product.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

It wont work. The key doesnt push directly down on a button. It hits a toggle which would not work. You would have to use something over where you push with your finger on the key to keep it in. Gorrilla brand duct tape might work. But gluing in i can guarantee you, will not work.
It worked PERFECTLY.  I just put a little dab of super-glue on the very tip of the key and it is now captive, so no need for the little tether that kept getting caught around my fingers.  The very TIP of the key is now stuck to where that TIP made contact on the little button inside - not anywhere along the sides, so it still pushes in and out without obstruction.  It DOES push directly down on a button, people have reported using just a plain old stick (it was YOU, in fact, above).  I'm just glad I ignored your "guarantee" laugh out loud.  
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.