mower width expansion

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Not Planned
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: duplicate

I mow a large lot and cutting down mowing time would be pretty nice. I spend 7hrs a week mowing. It seems to me that it would be very easy to add side wing mowers to this mower. It would be easy to make this a 40 or 42" mower. This would be side discharge or mulch only. The way i see it being done is to make a double blade system that would connect to the battery compartment on top and add a 10 or 12" blade to each side. They should pivot to follow the lawn contour. The motors for each blade should spin much faster as the blades would be smaller. An outside wheel would be needed. The height adjustment would need an extension handle to clear this attatchment. Each motor could run off of the main battery, but it would be best if they used another battery as power drain will be a lot, or allow a second or third battery to be added and run them parallel to ensure the batteries dont get too hot. It would also be pretty nice because cutting under shrubs would be much easier. Of course weight will be an issue as the mower is not self propelled, but it could be added with this by somehow transfering power to the rear wheels or front wheels. The blades would have to be towards the front of the mower probably because of overlap. This would save me 4 hours a week because the width is much greater and there would be much less overlap. Another added benefit is the mower would have more weight up front, stoping bouncing and keeping the front down.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,908 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Interesting idea Jacob.  We'll pass this along to our design team and see what they make of your idea.  Thanks a lot for taking the time to share with us!
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 1,072 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
as a commercial guy i would also like a larger mower. but something simlar to the toro time master 30.possibly you could use 2 motors smaller blades of course. to keep rmps high in tall turf? also for both mowers a optional blade with high lift would be nice(aware that run times would decrease but worth it since battiers are easly swaped)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
With a larger mower, i believe you might be able to break into the commercial market. And you would be the only push mower that is even close to that big. A quiet. Large mow path lawn mower. Thats what i need.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,328 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jacob, hope you had a nice weekend! The commercial market is brutal, would be a tough one to break into without a lot of effort. I would like to see them shore up their retail line of products and continue to improve upon them. Careful not to stretch thin and venture into a picky market segment.

The wider cutting area would be great! 22" on their next mower would be fantastic. Worthy. Nice idea there.
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 1,968 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I like the idea, but just don't see the commercial market working well until they release a much larger battery pack.
Photo of Matt

Matt

Well i use the toro e cycler on 36 volt sla battiers weights 77lbs and we cut 6 average sized lawns with one mower on one charge with mulching all the lawns. I have contacted ego asking them to do a sponsorship with me so i can show people what the machines can do. My toros are outdated, ego is the way to go. They're great products light, powerful and well thoughtout. Also as a side note there are commercial grade eletric mowers out there. The new wave of landscapers that are more eveniomentaly concious is becoming more noticeable.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hi Matt, you forgot to say the unforgiving price of fuel is forcing people to look at alternative power sources.  I don't think it's dropped below $3.00 a gallon here for the past 6 years.  It's terrible. 

I don't think it's much more environmentally conscious, as the power to charge the batteries probably is coming from something not so environmental.  It is much more economical and convenient.  Also, not having to have loud motors is rather nice, isn't it.

Is there a market?  Sure, is it worth digging into before you've solidified the retail market?   I just don't know.  Electrical equipment isn't really field serviceable, while most gas engines can be fixed on the spot. A commercial line would be expensive and the landscaping professionals I know would be slow to warm up to a new product without a track record. 

EGO is doing it right, building the best quality tools and getting them into consumer hands, building the track record.  Let that sink in a while and as time goes and the EGO brand grows in the minds of people as reliable and enjoyable to work with, then they could break into many markets.

But, who knows.  Your idea may have enough merit and support that EGO jumps on the commercial bandwagon  :)

Photo of Matt

Matt

This is what my research and thoughts are about the commercial electric landscaping my self being one of them. most guys are running solar panel charging for there equipment its a renewable source no emissions there.

I agree if you are charging from wall out let does cause poultion keep in mind there is (wind,water,solar grids helping) not as much but they are there. lets look gas equipment it takes more oil to manufacture, deliver to retail store have customer drive to product then have to dispose of old product just to keep there gas equipment in peak opertational condtion.(eg. air filter, oil filter witch needs to be chaned every other week, oil wich is changed every week, spark plug,fuel filter) just some examples of products need on commercial units.as for my self pull the handle and go.

Also i should mention they should be running on premium gas(or spouse to be since there is a lot more chemicals added now days). the gas need to be mined refined driven to a station picked up buy landscaper then it can be burned in euqipment.

Seems like a lot more pullutants to keep gas mowers in operational condtion. lawn and grarden equipment is one of the top poulluting contribitors (look up statics a simple google serch will show many results) the market has been around for a few years now. On the greens toro makes a lithuim walker(greens mower) jacobsen makes the eclipse serises ranging from walker to greens zero turn tripple gang reel.

In the commercial market small residental guys started using neuton ce 6 series and are doing very well. larger new manutaftures such mean green products have a 20 inch lithuim, 33 walk behind, 56 and 60 zero turn. also a stand on 56. also there is core outdoor power equipment trying to break into the commercial end of things.not to mention hustler with a commercial zero turn as well as cub cadet. as for concerns for break down. electric offer the best reliblity .

I have never had a day where my equipment had failed nor have i spent a dime keeping them tuned, all i do is pull the trigger and go. most commercial guys have back ups for these reasons if you hit a stump and bend a shaft gas or electric would be down either way.
The ego products are more than capable of handling multipul residential lawns on a daily basis. later on if the need is great they can modify and incorperate a hd unit. there is no need to break into the market it is already here. toro,exmark,grasshopper as making advancements in propane as another alternitive fuel source since there is a over whelming demand comming from landscapers wanting to lower there carbon foot print, and yes i do agree with you gas landscapers that do not care or are not asversed in electrical benifits will take a long time to warm up, i see this being no diffrent to a electric car.

Electric may not be then end solution but at least its a step in the right direction and i take my hat off to people that at lest try regardless of the out come, and i would think we are all on the same page on this one simce we are writing in regards to this cool inovation.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I hear ya Matt. I'm 49 and have always liked technology and portability. My father doesn't care of his mower leaves a atom bombed size smoke cloud and sounds like a Indy car. Rofl. I love this trend towards reliable, quiet and light equipment. I'm with you on this one. I enjoyed your post, some very interesting information!

Have a great rest of the summer.
Photo of ron gruhlke

ron gruhlke

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled wide area mower.

i just wanted to ask if there are any plans for a possible wide area mower, in the 30-33 inch area?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.