mower won't start

• Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • In Progress
I bought my 21” SP mower on 4-14-19 at Home Depot.  This past week (Sept 3) I found that my mower will not engage the blades.  When this first happened I was in the low position on the handle bar.  I started fiddling with the handle bar and moved it to the middle position, it did not work there either, until I lifted up on the handle bar in the middle position. The blades would engage but every time I pushed down on the handle bar to turn around, the blades would stop.  Once turned  around and I lifted the bar, and the blades engaged.  Now this week (before I could contact the Warranty Dept) I went to mow and the blades would not engage with the handle bar in the low or middle positions.  I moved it to the top position and it would not engage until, just like the comment above about the middle position, if I lifted the handle bar it would engage the blades.  However, same issue - every time I pushed down on the handle bar to turn around, the blades would stop.  I would again turn it around and lift the bar, and the blades would engage.  I just went out to check on it again (Sept 9) and now it will not engage the blades in any of the three operating positions, low, middle, high.  HOWEVER, it will engage the mover blades when I move the handle bar ABOVE the high position.  This is no good as you cannot use the mower in that position as the handle bar is not in a locked position. I have documented this issue via a video that I took to demonstrate the issue with my mower. My opinion is, there is a short of sorts or some connection issues between the handle bar the engagement of the mower blades.  My issue is the same as mentioned in the you tube video link from Mike and Da Dude's comment from 2 days ago.
Photo of IAPackFan

IAPackFan

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You should contact Ego customer service to get the mower diagnosed and repaired under warranty if needed.   Call first thing in the morning if you can to minimize any wait time.
They do good work and will take care of you.

They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).
Photo of Kenny Mars

Kenny Mars

• 1,224 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
My take on this issue is a faulty safety relay in the handle bottom mount. Your going to have to return your mower to your Home Depot to send to EGO to have your relay replaced. Mine worked for 2 seasons before we folded it for storage. Then all I got was a yellow flashing light. No motor or blade would engage. Took a bit over 4 weeks to get it back.
Photo of soakssr

soakssr

• 138 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It may be a silly question, but did you check if the upper handle was in the fully extended and locked position?
Photo of IAPackFan

IAPackFan

yes, i did check that as that was mentioned in the manual as a potential issue
Photo of mike

mike

• 336 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the s/o IAPackFan. I've been checking up on here about every other day to see if any other mowers "just stopped working" so I can post that YouTube link I found after I ran across the same problem. Ego made it right with a new mower. Took a bit over 2months but whatever.
Photo of IAPackFan

IAPackFan

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I think the prior submissions about this problem have heightened EGO's awareness on this problem as customer service was right on my issue when I called and since I had registered my warranty and submitted my purchase receipt when I submitted my warranty, they had all they needed to send me a replacement mower.
Photo of IAPackFan

IAPackFan

as a follow up, I called the Warranty Dept just after I posted this and they are shipping me a new mower... to arrive in about a week with a return shipping label to allow my to send my current mower back to EGO.  I appreciate that customer service!  thanks
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Ego cs does a great job !
Photo of Andy Ewing

Andy Ewing

I'll be call EGo CS this afternoon, when I can be at home with access to my mower, with the exact same problem.  Hopefully I experience the same level of service that others have when encountering this problem.  I'm also thinking that once I have my repaired or new mower, whichever, I will no longer fold the handle for storage.  Instead, I'll leave it extended.  Takes up more space, but I'll bet it prevents the problem from happening again.
Photo of A.J. Ritter

A.J. Ritter

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So, we can't fold for storage? Seems like a design flaw if doing so causes problems.
Photo of Matt Curtis

Matt Curtis

• 294 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I don't fold mine and I am also having this issue.  Have to take it to HD tomorrow.  Said it will take 4 - 6 weeks to get back.  My grass will be a foot tall by then!  It's clearly a design flaw.  
Photo of Andy Ewing

Andy Ewing

Update - I spoke to CS this afternoon. Since my mower is less than a year old they are sending replacement and an authorization to return the old one. Great customer service.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Thanks for the update Andy
Photo of A.J. Ritter

A.J. Ritter

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just purchased a new mower...like yesterday...and it has what appears to be the same problem described above. How robust is the build on these machines? I am willing to take it back to The Home Depot for an exchange, but will I just have to do that again in a few months?
Photo of Meggo

Meggo

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same problem - purchased min 8/16/19. Last week, it wouldn't start. Checked the handle extension and lock, all positions for handle, self propel and lights work, but won't start. I contacted EGO and was given a service referral, took it to Home Depot and they sent it in for repair, but as of today it is still in transit. Same time estimate of 4-6 weeks.

I'm a little frustrated about the time it takes for the repair - especially since I've had it only 8 months. 

I will have to rent a mower or pay someone in the meantime because I can't let the grass go 4-6 weeks. At the end of the period I will have spent a $125-200 - that's half the cost of the mower and defeats the purpose of having purchased my own. 

EGO should consider providing loaner mowers during repair process given the frequency of occurrence it seems they have and the long timelines for repair. Shipping a replacement doesn't seem like a solution since it will likely have the same issue and several people have experienced that in these posts.

I'm curious - has anyone who has had theirs repaired experience a repeat of the issue later???

Photo of Jamie Hart

Jamie Hart

• 60 Points
I bought my ego in 2016. I have always folded it up and stored it away after every use. Also leave it folded up Thur late fall to early spring. This year I'm experiencing the same handle problem. I fine that if I really exttend it by pulling hard on extending the handle it will. Start again. EGO customer service is garbage . Home Depot is clueless. EGo and Home Depot custermer service wins, their company's win and you lose. So they say 2 out of 3 my bad!
Photo of Martin Reyes

Martin Reyes

• 62 Points
Hi Meggo, Same here the mower was sent to repair out of state (AL). I feel your frustration as EGO won't consider the consumer as we now have to come out of pocket to pay or rent a mower to take care of our lawns.

In my case, I've purchased this mower (8/31/2019) and if I used it 5 times will be a stretch since here in GA we go dormant in OCT and, now I found my self calling EGO every other day trying to get someone to help with my problem with no luck.

I'm really considering that I've made a mistake by purchasing this mower since other brands do not have ALL these issues.

Good Luck!

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 113,418 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
HD repair system leaves a lot to be desired.  Hopefully Ace harware will be doing repairs in the near future.

Not all Home Depots perform the repair on-site, so it is possible they'll be sending your mower to a HD regional repair center. However, per Ego service agreement, the entire process should not take more than 4-6 weeks. If it takes more than four, please give Ego support team a call (1-855-346-5656).   They will get involved

In the meantime, you can always get real-time updates on your mower's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case. 

Often suggested here to use HD "unofficial loaner program"
That is buy another mower from HD and return it within the 90 days allowed by HD.

Photo of sandy

sandy

• 70 Points
We have the exact same problem. We have requested a call back as the hold times are very long. We are very disappointed as well - should have gone with another brand. :( Will update when we hear back from EGO. I'm sure repair times are going to be astronomic with the current Corona Virus situation.

Photo of Matt Curtis

Matt Curtis

• 294 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Bummer. I have all of their tools except the generator and they’ve all been fantastic. Seems like a design flaw with the mower handles. Hope they fix the issue for good.
Photo of Crista Munro

Crista Munro

• 72 Points
Having the same issue, but our mower lasted for two seasons. After reading all of these posts, we might just try to have it fixed locally and pay out of pocket even though we're still under warranty. Seems like it would be cheaper in the long run. This sounds like a major design flaw with this mower and makes me unlikely to recommend it to anyone in the market.

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 82,230 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Crista, not sure how it would be cheaper in the long run. Warranty repair is free. If you buy a second mower and return it within 90 days it's also free. 
Photo of sandy

sandy

• 70 Points
Ours had to be sent out via Home Depot at no cost to us. Estimate 6-8 weeks for repair - might even be longer. We still had our old gas powered mower, so we're good for awhile. This is SO frustrating. EGO did not offer to send us a replacement. Apparently they only do that in the first 90 days of ownership.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 114,834 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If it takes more than four, please give Ego support team a call (1-855-346-5656).   They will get involved

In the meantime, you can always get real-time updates on your mower's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case.

Photo of Hellane F

Hellane F

• 0 Points
It appears that this flaw is ignored by Ego which is Chervon out of china. They will not post corporate contact information, but I have a less than 2 year old machine that suddenly will not start. I assume it is the wires and the relay switches. I am pretty sure it is the handle causing the mower not to work.
Photo of Joe Shodds

Joe Shodds

• 96 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have owned my LM2020SP for less than 2 years and now mine wont start.  
https://bit.ly/2TzONJd
Photo of sandy

sandy

• 70 Points
I'm sure we are going to be without our mower for the whole season this year. It took 2 weeks for our mower to reach the repair location after we took it to Home Depot, then a new handle was ordered, but it's on back order. I understand things are slower than normal right now, but this situation raises serious quality concerns about Ego products. I'm worried about the Snow Blower we bought last October. I hope all Ego products don't have this problem! 
Photo of Joe Shodds

Joe Shodds

Sandy, Do you know where the repair location is at?
Photo of sandy

sandy

• 70 Points
I don't. I'm sure Home Depot could tell you - or wherever you are supposed to take your mower for shipping.
Photo of Joe Shodds

Joe Shodds

I live near their Ego Power Plus Office 1203 E Warrenville Rd, Naperville, IL 60563
I could drive mine and save a few days.
Photo of sandy

sandy

• 70 Points
Seems like a great option to me. We didn't have that option in Nebraska.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Repairs are done thru HD and if needed to be shipped out they are shipped to regional HD repair centers (?Atlanta Phoenix ??)

If you are in a populated area you can call a couple HD near you and maybe find one that is more willing / likely to do the repair in house.

Not all Home Depots perform the repair on-site, so it is possible they'll be sending your mower out to a reginal HD repair center.  However, per Ego service agreement, the entire process should not take more than 4-6 weeks. If it takes more than four, please give Ego support team a call (1-855-346-5656).   They will get involved

A possible "loaner" program is to buy another Ego mower at HD and return it within the allowed 90 days for a refund. 

(Edited)
Photo of Joe Shodds

Joe Shodds

Was on hold for over 3.5 hours just now and the call went through and the man answers the phone 
"Thank you for calling Ego...."  then I get a dial tone.
No call back.
So I called the Geneva Home Depot and the person there says Chad Will take a look at it and can fix some problems and if it has to get shipped it will go to Indianapolis IN.
Next thing I notice is I got a Voice mail from the same guy! asking me to call back gave me a number to call and when I called the recording said they have so many calls they cant 616-2352 anymore and to call back to morrow.
So I called that number and got a rep RIGHT AWAY! 616-235-5300.
She asked a few questions and asked that I bring my mower into a certain shop.  THen same Geneva HD that I was going to bring it into anyway.
(Edited)