Mower Won't Start (just purchased)

  • 2
  • Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

Mower worked great for about 10 minutes and now it will not start.  Green light on the battery is on, battery is fully charged, and the head lights work.  When holding the safety key and pulling the bail switch I can hear a faint whine or whistle noise but the motor does not spin up.  any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

Photo of Jim Svare

Jim Svare

  • 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

  • 2
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

  • 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
If you take out the battery, tip the mower over and can spin the blade freely, then clearly something else is wrong.  This is absolutely an issue for Customer Service.  Drop them an email or call them.  Sounds like either an electrical issue, motor braking engaged, or a number of other misc. issues.  We can try to help, but in the end your quickest fix is either take it back for a an exchange (90 days with Home Depot) or call Customer Service.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

  • 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sounds like something is binding the blade, almost like its starting under load. Is there grass clumping under the deck?
Photo of Jim Svare

Jim Svare

  • 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Blade spins freely.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

  • 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you just purchased the mower I'd return it to the store for an exchange.
Photo of Denise C

Denise C

  • 6,334 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jim! We'd really like to troubleshoot with you regarding the trouble you are having with your mower. Could you send us an email to support@egopowerplus.com with a good contact number to call you back at? Or, give us a call at 855-346-5656 anytime today. We are here until 8pm ET. I have created an account for you, logging your mower issues, so if you choose to call just give your first and last name and whoever you speak with will be able to pull up this information and be more than happy to assist you. Please have the serial #s off of your mower, battery, and charger available, and any other EGO product you'd like to register. We look forward to hearing from you!
Photo of Gerald

Gerald

  • 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Mine did the same thing except the blade doesn't spin freely.. happened a few minutes after I accidentally hit a rock hidden in the weeds and now it won't start but for a second and then shuts off right away..a little frustrating but it was cutting beautifully up until that point.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

  • 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Gerald,

The blades are made of a very soft metal.  Did you try a new blade?  A lot of people find that sharpening and making sure the blade is balanced, every other cut, produces superior results.  Hitting a rock can spell doom for any mower, they are all connected by a metal shaft, which when bent, spells doom for a gas or electric motor.  If it is tolerable, just deal with the little bit of vibration and keep the blade balanced and sharp.
Photo of Gerald

Gerald

  • 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
The problem is that there is no vibration because 80% it won't start at all and the other 20% it cuts off after 3 seconds. I am thinking bent shaft...I guess I'll just have to exchange it or something.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

  • 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Gerald,

I may be being brutally honest here.  If it is within the 90 days, I would exchange it.  You aren't sure, so it's not like you are doing anything wrong.  If you tell the people at HD that it just won't spin up, and there is no visual damage to the mower, it should not be a problem.  Good luck!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.