Why won't my mower start?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

Got my mower out for first time this season. Ran fine for 15 minutes and then started dying a few seconds after starting and then wouldn't start at all. Have fresh battery, handles fully extended and clips locked. Bail handle clicks when engaged. No power and no headlights. What should I try now?
Photo of Charley

Charley

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 99,218 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response

Give customer service a call at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Charley, try re-extending the handle and making sure it's firmly at the top of its travel before locking the clips in place.  Quite often what happens is the handle will work its way down when you push the mower to start cutting and the safety switch disengages in the handle.

This is most common with the 20" mower.  If your mower is the 20" model and still has the original handle clips that could be the issue, and replacements are available from Customer Service that lock more firmly than the originals.
Photo of Charley

Charley

Would that cause my headlights to not work? Mine won't turn on.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I'm not sure if the safety switch kills the headlights as well or not.

Can you confirm whether you have the 20" or 21" mower?
Photo of Charley

Charley

20"
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Try what I said above, reseating the handle and see if that helps. Another helpful tip is, if the mower shuts off after pushing it forward, reseat the handle and try cutting while pulling backwards. If the mower cuts backwards fine but dies while pushing it forward, that's a sure sign the handle clips are slipping and need replacing.
Photo of charlie hepler

charlie hepler

• 1,338 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Be sure the battery has been pushed down into the holder completely. It sometimes seems that it is all the way down but really isn't.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,738 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Charley, if you tried every tip in the TROUBLESHOOTING section of the manual - which several members have recommended thus far, and it still doesn't work.  Then, I recommend you contact Customer Service (CS) for further support.  Keep us posted on what CS came up with, so others can learn from this experience as well.  Sorry I can not think of anything else to suggest, without "voiding" your warranty.

Photo of charlie hepler

charlie hepler

• 1,338 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
"I'm not sure if the safety switch kills the headlights as well or not."

As a side note to the comment above...I have confirmed that when the battery is completely seated in the holder unless you have a problem with the Lights themselves they will light up even if you have a safety switch not working properly.
Photo of Charley

Charley

I have re-seated the battery and the handles. Still no power.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Sounds like a call to Customer Service is in order. ;-)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.