Mower won’t start. LM 2100. Battery fully charged. Flashing yellow light. Unit purchased 5/6/16. Is it time for a new battery?

• Problem
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
Flashing yellow light. Won’t start. Battery full charge.
Photo of beth

beth

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Kenny Mars

Kenny Mars

• 546 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It's not your battery, like me more than likely it's your mower engine, I took mine back to Home Depot to be sent to Atlanta for diagnosis
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 98,758 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Photo of beth

beth

Thanks Kenneth.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Easier to use sense of elimination when you have multiple tools and batteries to use. The above plan is what you should follow; good luck.
Photo of Cathy

Cathy

• 70 Points
Ours has the same problem.  We've checked everything, including using a torque wrench to ensure the bolt was on properly  (we originally thought this was a blade issue).   Has anyone heard anything back from sending their mowers in?  We're headed to HD this weekend for the warranty service - but this seems to be a running theme with no one posting the solution online.  If you've had yours fixed, any explanation of what the issue is?  We bought ours 6/2018 and have probably only used it for 12-15 lawn cuts. 

Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,054 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I like the old saying "If it's a Ford or a Chevy and it won't start, something must be wrong with it."

Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 6,726 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
If you recently changed or sharpened the blade, perhaps the problem is the positioning of the items on the motor blade spindle.   

Look on page 26 and 27 in your manual.   Note the five pieces that go on the motor spindle.  

Sometimes the nut may loosen and the 5 items get out of position when the mower is being used.

Getting all five pieces positioned just right is necessary for the machine to run/start/run smoothly.   

See the large inner flange in figure 25 - do you have it and the round white fan positioned and seated correctly/well? 

The fan blades should be pointed up toward the mower.*   

Place the blade in according to the directions on the blade.

Be sure the blade and washer are on firmly so that the blade won't wobble, but not so tight you can't get the blade off again to sharpen or replace.

Then try to start the machine again.  

Good luck!

*(I once put the fan in upside down and the machine wouldn't start...got a flashing orange light.  I've decided the mower is smarter than me! )   
(Edited)
Photo of beth

beth

Thanks but blade has never been off.
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 6,652 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Try turning over the machine (with the battery out) and try to wobble the blade to check if it could have loosened over time and one or two of the five components have gotten out of alignment.

Just hoping your machine has a simple problem that you can solve rather than an internal electronic problem.
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

It's important to store batteries and mower in a climate protected dry place.   Here's a discussion:
https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/temperature-when-storing-batteries-importance?topic-re...

I store my batteries indoors and the mower in my garage that is dry and finished with painted drywall and has a fairly tight aluminum garage door.  

So far no trouble (except putting in the fan upside down) - bought my LM2101 in October 2015, so this Fall will begin the 4th mowing season!   
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

HOWEVER.....I'm in a fairly protected climate - N FL - so my garage is hot in the summer, but protected from extreme cold in the winter.   I would not put my batteries and charger out there because of the heat.  

I go to extremes to avoid dropping the battery, holding it like a football and treating it like the famous 'nuclear football' never leaving it in the mower at night, waiting until it cools to put it on the charger, etc.   Same with my Ryobi 18v tools and batteries.   I'd have to air condition my garage to be willing to put them out there.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I put mine in the house just to make sure. Try to baby if I can.
Photo of Kenny Mars

Kenny Mars

• 422 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
My battery is always keep in my dining room with my charger
Photo of mike

mike

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Lift the handle while holding the button down like in this video. Mine was doing this. Had to send it off for repairs https://youtu.be/pWYtoDaYCB0