mower will not start

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

I purchased the 56v mower in July 2014 from Home Depo.  Used every week for less

than one year and now will not start.  I had to purchase a rotary mower because if I don't

cut my grass my community will fine me $100.  I registered my mower and have my

receipt but Ego said I have to drive 30 miles to the closest representative and I am

a senior citizen and don't have a car.  I will never purchase an electric mower again. I need

to find a repair shop that will pick up my mower in Maryland or Virginia.

Photo of Judy Ferraiolo

Judy Ferraiolo

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of John Lavin

John Lavin

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just bought mine 2 weeks ago. I noticed if I don't have the handles fully extended and the green latches firmly locked in place, the mower would not start. Hope this helps.
Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

• 1,872 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Judy Ferraiolo.  I am sorry you are having problems and aren't able to drive to the closest rep.   Mine is working great so far, but I got it a couple of months after you got yours.  Hope I don't have problems soon.  I will add to what John Lavin said in that the latches can jiggle loose from the handles and sometimes it is hard to tell they are not in place, so do check that out.  There are holes in the handle that  prongs on the latch ide go into.  You might look closely for where the hole is and you might need to slightly pull up on the handle to see the holes where the prong needs to fit.  I love my EGO, but seems like they needs to work on that problem of the clamps coming out of proper order.
(Edited)
Photo of Judy Ferraiolo

Judy Ferraiolo

Thanks for your suggestion but handle is not the problem.  What I need is a repair shop that will come to me.
Photo of Denise C

Denise C

• 6,334 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Judy, thank you for your post; and we are very sorry to hear that you are having issues with your mower. We completely understand your situation of not being able to get to get to a service center, so I will be giving you a call directly sometime this morning to assist you further and provide an alternative solution. I look forward to speaking with you.
Photo of Judy Ferraiolo

Judy Ferraiolo

I keep getting the handle is not set correctly.  Please stop.  I have used the mower for almost one year.  I know how to set the handle.
Photo of E.a. Hazelbaker

E.a. Hazelbaker

• 60 Points
Judy,

They are  just trying to help.
Photo of Rex

Rex

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Problem and Solution:
(revised my response after repeated episodes of this problem ....)
Same thing happened to me. The headlight worked, the handles were fully extended, etc.

The EGO is susceptible to a jam involving the starting switch. The safety key moves an activator arm into position between the switch and the bail handle. The activator arm can get jammed atop the switch.

If this is the problem, you'll notice the key no longer springs to its normal position and the bail handle moves freely, no longer encountering the switch. You can take apart the housing to un-jam it, but here's a SIMPLE SOLUTION: Remove the safety key and drill a very small hole in the plastic on the extreme right of the safety key depression ... in that corner to the right of the keyhole. The hole can be small. I used a 1/8 inch bit, but a size or two smaller can still do the trick. Once you're through the plastic, stop drilling.

The switch is an inch below the hole. By inserting a 2 inch nail or small screwdriver, you can push the activator arm off the top of the switch, back to its normal position, eliminating the jam. (You push back, toward the handle, not toward the mower.)

To avoid a repeat of the problem, always press the key fully before pulling on the bail handle. It's a combination of partially pushed key that causes the bail handle to wedge the arm above the switch. The switch is part of the problem, as it flexes downward, allowing the activator arm to get above it.

-RWood
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.