mower variable speed doesn't work

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
I've tried sending my mower back to have the variable speed repaired. They don't seem to know what I'm taking about. I will either return the mower or fix it myself. Does anyone have any on what is involved? I'm guessing some type of rheostat on the drive trigger. 
Photo of Robert Shean

Robert Shean

• 70 Points

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 108,414 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Have you called Ego CS to have them initiate the repair process and/or work with the repair people to get it repaired correctly.

They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 10,710 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I agree, this seems odd, because this issue has come up a few times before. Ego would definitely know what you are describing. But first, maybe an easy fix, have you tried retracting and re-extending the handles firmly out all the way til you feel the click? From some experiences reported here, It seems the drivetrain interlock connection can jiggle loose if it wasn't engaged all the way and mess with SP performance.
Photo of Paul Allen

Paul Allen

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I had problems controlling the speed when self propelled.  Typically it raced around the yard faster than I could walk.  I called customer services & was advised to take in to Home Depot.  HD shipped the mower to a service center. I was contacted yesterday that parts are not available and, since the mower is within the warranty (5 yrs?), they are shipping me a brand new mower.  I’m not happy I had the problem but I am impressed with the resolution.  
Photo of Bill Palleschi

Bill Palleschi

• 60 Points
I had the same experience last year as Paul Allen.  Before going to Home Depot I tried calling the factory to see if the would send me the parts.  I was advised to take it to Home Depot.  I don't remember how long it was there but I did get the feeling that a repair was beyond Home Depots level of support for EGO units.  EGO sent through Home Depot a new machine to me.  I was also impressed by the outcome. I still think a part replacement would have been easier and less costly.
Photo of cdc3rd

cdc3rd

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
How long did it take from the day you dropped off the mower at Home Depot to receive a replacement?

I just dropped mine off over the weekend and I'm expecting to be without it for three months from what I've seen.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 108,414 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Mine was fixed in house at my local HD.  Great repair guy their that worked with Ego and did the repair.  I got it back in 10 days.

Not all Home Depots perform the repair on-site, so it is possible they'll be sending your mower out. However, per Ego service agreement, the entire process should not take more than 4-6 weeks. If it takes more than four, please give Ego support team a call (1-855-346-5656).   They will get involved

In the meantime, you can always get real-time updates on your mower's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case. 

(Edited)