Mower Transmission Noise

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
At the end of last year's cutting season, my 1.5 year old 21" self propelled mower began making noise when it was moving under it's own power. It kind of sounds like two quarters rubbing together, maybe like dull metal rubbing. It did seem slower when it was doing it, but then the sound stopped and it sped up. Now this year, the sound is there again and I was wondering what to do. Do I send it in, find a manual and buy spare replacement parts, etc.?

Just wanting to fix it before it strands me....
Photo of Brian Cooler

Brian Cooler

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of mike Arnold

mike Arnold

• 680 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Does the speed control seem to make any change in it?
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 20,928 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Brian, don't mean to alarm you, but repair service is extremely slow. I have had a Power Head in for repair since Jan . 22 with ETA of Mar. 20; still no word from them. Fortunately, I have another Power Head to use. Too late, but you would have been better off taking it in at the end of season so you may have gotten it back by now. This seems to be the norm based on other's comments on this forum. Some suggests buying another tool on the Home Depot credit card to have a 1year return while it's in for repairs. Good luck.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Ego recommends contacting them before bringing your tool in for repair to confirm your warranty status and make them aware of the repair.  They can also help you trouble shoot the problem.

Not all Home Depots perform the repair on-site, so it is possible they'll be sending your mower/tool out. However, per Ego service agreement, the entire process should not take more than 4-6 weeks. If it takes more than four, please give Ego support team a call (1-855-346-5656).   They will get involved

In the meantime, you can always get real-time updates on your mower's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case. 

William E Hanson

Szwoopp, looks great on paper, but in practice, it's different. I'm not so much frustrated, but disappointed in them. They speak from a script telling you what you want to hear, but the person making the promises isn't the one doing the work. They monitor social media and do respond to complaints, but that hasn't fixed the very apparent problem with their very lacking repair service. My plans are to continue building my collection of EGO tools and currently have almost all of them including multiples of "essential" ones for the known issues with repairs. This isn't an option for the average consumer and probably has kept some away.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Worked well for me when I needed a repair on my snowblower.

William E Hanson

Timing is everything; you were fortunate that time. Based on ongoing comments, their process certainly isn't qualified for "best practice" and could stand a major overhaul for their sake. Customers are finicky and easily go to a competitor over a bad experience. I believe in the platform and willing to put my money there and wish they believed with the same.
Photo of Brian Cooler

Brian Cooler

In response to mike Arnold, the sound seems to cut in and out, not really speed related. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but I needed to cut the grass to determine the answer. It almost seems like a bearing issue.

Are there manuals or parts lists out there that I could use to repair myself?

Brian
Photo of mike Arnold

mike Arnold

• 680 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  Brian, I have to ask why you didn't contact EGO and get the ball rolling last year. If it is out of warranty I'd try to fix it myself but under warranty it's their problem but the speed with which they repair it probably won't  be to your liking. Send it in and go buy a cheap gas powered mower to fill in with.
Photo of Mark Brosey

Mark Brosey

• 60 Points
In my experience, what you are hearing is an alert for transmission failure.  I bought my self propelled in 2017, worked great the 1st year, then halfway in 2nd year the exact same thing happened to me.  Kind of sounds like the 'George Jetson' space mobile landing.  I sent it back via my local Home Depot.  Took about 2 months, they did fix the self propelled transmission noise for free.  Worked ok in 2019, then this year same sound started again, and on same day while mowing, the transmission self propel failed all together.  I'm waiting on a phone call back from them now (reported 2 days ago).  I'm a big fan of EGO, I have their weed trimmer, hedge trimmer, leaf blower, snow blower and lawn mower.  That being said, I believe they have major issues with mowers that were early generations (2017).   
Photo of Brian Cooler

Brian Cooler

ok, thank you for the info!