Mower suddently stops on a fully-charged battery

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

My mower works great -- MOST OF THE TIME. However, about three months after using it for the first time (Jan 2017), it started suddenly stopping while mowing on a fully charged battery. When I pull out the battery and re-insert it, the mower runs fine for the rest of the yard, OR until it suddenly stops again - sometimes 5-6 times during the 20 minutes it takes to mow my small yard. What gives?
Photo of Question

Question

  • 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

  • 1
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

  • 25,910 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

First recommendation is to sharpen the blade, if you haven't done so already.

Which mower, 20" or 21"  SP?  How old is your mower?  What size battery?

Otherwise, can you elaborate on your mowing conditions; ambient temperature, type of grass, how much you're taking off during a single pass, etc.?  What lights are displayed by the mower when it stops (sounds like blinking orange, indicating an overload situation).


Photo of kenhigg

kenhigg

  • 370 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Sounds like electrical connections. You might want to try something like deoxit. Link

Not sure how sharpening the blade would help here - ?

Photo of Question

Question

  • 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I started calling Customer Service a call before I tried this string.  855-EGO-5656 and it rang for more than 30 minutes.  Then I tried the call back option.  Gave it my number and it just kept repeating the say words:  "Leave your number followed by the # sign".  Tied it again today with the same result.  They must have a dead line that is not reaching a human or a working computer.  Bummer.  That's not Customer SERVICE!  And a real disappointment.  You have a better number?


Photo of giggleherz .

giggleherz .

  • 1,802 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Just a guess here but is there any chance the battery is bouncing around a bit?
Is your lawn bumpy like mine? Someone mentioned making sure you lock the battery in tight. Check the contacts in the mower to see if they are still clean and tight.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

  • 59,338 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sharpenng helps if is overloading. But you would have yellow flashing light.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

  • 149,100 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The reason I'm suggesting battery issue is we've seen a few cases where the battery caused the tool to think the battery had an overtemp situation (solid orange light).  Not really able to confirm it, but it seems like a thermistor issue.
Photo of kenhigg

kenhigg

  • 370 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Seems if you disconnect the battery and reconnect it the battery connectors may need some tlc
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

  • 24,344 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Are you pressing the battery in until it fully latches? Also, are you sure the handle is absolutely fully extended and the handle clamps are well engaged?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

  • 46,700 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You said the orange light came on. That's an overload warning, although it doesn't sound like it should be an issue for you unless your grass is unusually thick.

It also could be the handle clamps slipping, triggering the auto safety shutoff, as Oregon Mike suggested. Check to make sure the handle is fully extended, the clamps are latched tight and not slipping as you push the mower.

Which mower do you have?
Photo of TK

TK

  • 3,696 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

I have tried some electrically conductive lube. I apply it them wipe it off leaving a thin layer, and it is a smoother operation.


Photo of kenhigg

kenhigg

  • 370 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It seems if the mower in question had an overload/temp issue you should be able to induce a shut down by lugging the motor down. If you can lug it down and throw an error then chase that rabbit, if not then mark that off this list of possible issues.  And at this point I am unclear which issue is being reported by the leds. There seems to be differing opinions. On the other hand, having electrical connectors exposed to varying humidity conditions for lengthy periods of time in something like a carport or out building is a recipe for issues as the clean, metal to metal surfaces that come together when an electrical circuit is established will form a layer of resistive corrosion on the surface. This condition can be exacerbated when the connectors are left un-connected over long periods of time. This is one purpose for the 'electrical lubes', to isolate the metal surfaces from humidity...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.