Mower stopped working & 6-8 weeks to fix!

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: duplicate

I mowed 1/4 of my yard today then the battery died, which I knew it was going to. I removed it and charged it fully. When I went to turn the mower back on, it went on slowly for 2-3 seconds then stopped. After that, it wouldn't turn back on. I tried everything they said, battery, arms extended, clips tight, etc. Nothing worked. I had to take it to Home Depot and they can't fix it. They said they never work on them and always have to ship them to be repaired. Now, its going to take 6-8 weeks for the repair. This is unacceptable. My $500 mower is only 1.5 years old. I put down winter rye grass seed, which grows quickly this time of year. This is when I need it most.

I read about someone having the same issue as me and they got a new mower. This wasn't even an option for some reason. I'm disappointed in this mower that I once loved.
Photo of Heather Christie

Heather Christie

• 138 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • disappointed and frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Heather, give Ego Customer Service a call and see if there's something else that can be worked out. 6-8 weeks is a long time without a mower...
Photo of bob756

bob756

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I had the same problem. I was told that the mower had to be checked out to see if it can be fixed. If not they would replace it. They quoted me 6-8 weeks but said that Home Depot may take longer. What!??!!! I guess I just let my grass grow for 2 months until they determine if it can be fixed or not. Customer service did offer a solution: borrower a mower from someone. I bought a mower so I wouldn't have to borrow one. 
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I would rather had been slapped than to be told to borrow someone else's mower.

Heather Christie

I called them directly after dropping off my mower at Home Depot. They said that's all they can do and that is a normal turnaround time...6-8 weeks!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I didn't realize you had dropped it off already. Give us an update when you get it back and let us know how it worked out.

Heather Christie

Home Depot hadn't actually put it through the system when I called Ego for the second time. I was at the store and was on the phone with them to see if there was ANYTHING else they could do. They said no and that was the normal turnaround time. I had no other option than to give my mower to Home Depot to send in to be fixed.
Photo of Federico

Federico

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hello Heather, I had a problem with my mower damaging the batteries.  I had my mower for a little over a year and this summer it died on me similar to what you described.  I own two batteries and a string trimmer.  After some trouble shooting and Ego Customer service sending me a couple of new batteries that also ended up failing Ego Customer service stated that my mower was actually damaging the batteries and that it was an issue that had been seen on a handful of older mowers(at the time that I was dealing with this in late June/July).  Newer mowers have some minor changes to them.  You can look at my post("Lawn mower seems to be damaging batteries") to see what I did to troubleshoot and symptoms I had.  My experience with Customer Service was not bad at all.  I had to have two sets of batteries sent to me and ultimately a mower was sent to me.  The process did not take more than a few weeks. 
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Everyone, we'd like to thank you for sharing your feedback in terms of service turnaround times. We want you to know that we are listening and taking your concerns and complaints seriously. Changes take time and we are working to get better solutions in place. As you are all aware, our customer service team is available to help as much as possible. Please reach out to us with your individual concerns as we want to make things better in this difficult situation. Industry standard wait times in peak season are typically 5-8 weeks but we know it's not ideal. We can be reached via email at support@egopowerplus.com.
Photo of Rob Thomsen

Rob Thomsen

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Jennifer, I am having the same frustration. My mower stopped working so I called customer service. After some troubleshooting I was told I needed a new circuit board. I dropped my mower off at Home Depot on Saturday the 16th and was told 2-3 weeks. I called on Wednesday to see how things were progressing and the person at the repair desk pretty much laughed at me when I said I was told 2-3 weeks. He said 5 weeks at the earliest. I am pretty handy and think I could probably replace the circuit board myself.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Rob, thanks for chiming in here.  We still don't have those parts available to end users but we hear you loud and clear.
Photo of Rob Thomsen

Rob Thomsen

Then let me humbly suggest you offer an option to allow other vendors with quicker response times to fix them. I'd pay the vendor, you provide the part. Probably violates your marketing deal with Home Depot, but presumably they're violating it by taking so long to take care of your loyal customers.
Photo of Rob Thomsen

Rob Thomsen

Update: I just got off the phone with Home Depot. I called for an update since over 3 weeks had passed since I dropped the mower off with them. I was told that they had shipped it to Atlanta on the 5th (without notifying me), and that the ship time alone would be an additional 2 weeks. Adding in another 2 weeks for the trip back, I don't expect to see my mower until this mowing season is almost over. Really not happy with their "solution" to warranty repairs. They need to be giving refurbished mowers to Home Depot so we can borrow them while waiting for repairs, rather than bothering our neighbors to whom we were bragging about our awesome mowers just a couple of years ago!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,380 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I would say their shipping estimates may be on the high side, just as a precaution. I shipped a heavy loudspeaker across the country by UPS ground and it only took five days.

Your situation still isn't great, but it might not be as bad as you fear. Keep us updated.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Wait, am I really seeing this? A customer is actually going to have to wait two months for a mower to be fixed? They probably paid $450 plus tax for it and that is what they get? Nice One!

There's no way that is even close to adequate customer service.
(Edited)
Photo of Xinxi Jia

Xinxi Jia

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
That is the only reason I am still using on my Kobalt mower. Simply because the local Lowe's store can make warranty service quick and easy. Ego please make this right!
Photo of William Roy Hupert

William Roy Hupert

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
5 to 8 weeks to fix this? Must be a joke. Maybe you need to get a backup mower?
Photo of Rob

Rob

I would think someone is crazy if they told me that I need a backup mower for a mower I just paid $500 for.  You can go into the store and buy two...Yes TWO pretty good mowers for that price. 

Yes, I agree, it is a joke.  A joke on this customer and any of us who happen to have problems with our mowers.
(Edited)

William Roy Hupert

Totally agree Rob

William Roy Hupert

If it's on the home depot card don't pay the bill, and Ego should send you a new mower
Photo of Rob

Rob

It used to be that they sent customers replacement mowers for much less than this and it wasn't too long ago.  I wonder what's going on at the company now?
Photo of Eric  From

Eric From

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I guess I have not had mine long enough because it mulches well and starts every time and battery makes it through the 2 lawns that I do-approx.40 minutes.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Mine is also working well.  Wait, I lowered it two notches yesterday to prepare for overseeding and it constantly stalled.  I hope it goes away once I put it back up to the highest level. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

lowering the mower two notches will certainly cause stalling issues. Once the grass length has been established, weekly mowing should not exhibit any more problems.

This is not much different than letting the lawn go for several weeks and then overloading the mower on the first cut.
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

I figured as much but it was only that low because I was about to overseed.  It won't go that low again for a while. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

You should be good to go then!

Not that I'm a lawn care expert, far from it in fact, but I have been reading a bit about grass care and overseeing lately. Based on what I've read, if you need to trim your lawn down to a lower than normal height you may be better off trimming it down in two separate steps rather than all at once. This is based on the recommendation of cutting no more than 1/3 of the blade of grass at once, which seems to be a fairly common theme in different articles about determining cutting frequency (ie. cutting more often the faster the grass grows).

So if you normally cut once a week, lowering the mower one step one week and then another step the week after would be less of a shock to your grass than dropping two steps at once, especially after letting the grass grow for a week.

This method would likely be a little easier on the mower also, and may cause less overloading. Food for thought. :-)
Photo of Rob

Rob

You are totally right about that but I was too lazy to cut it twice.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Laziness... happens to the best of us! :-)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.