Mower Stopped Self Propelling....

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Solved
I so wanted to like this product but only after 5-7 uses the self propelling function is DOA. Now I find that any serious repairs can't be done locally and the mower has been sent to AZ for 4-6 weeks. I can hardly wait for the warranty to expire.....  Had I known that there aren't any local warranty services set up for serious repairs before I purchased the mower I doubt I would have made the purchase. Too bad, such promise. I was hoping to ditch my gas mower forever, but now it seems that I'll need it as much as ever.
Photo of Eco-man

Eco-man

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,840 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
If you are within the 90 day return period at Home Depot, just return it and buy a new one.
Photo of Eco-man

Eco-man

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
No can do.  I'm 1yr. out.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,440 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Oh well I had hoped that due to the 5-7 uses comment you might still be in the 90 day period. You'll just have to wait for the repair.  I had the same issue with mine and you can read about my experiences here:
https://www.summet.com/blog/2017/10/21/ego-21-mower-lm2100sp-self-propel-motor-failure-repair-report...
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

• 1,076 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
You mentioned that the mower ego sent you had a stronger and quieter self propel mechanism. Did it look the same or was it upgraded? I ask because there is a YouTube video showing the new dual battery mower compared to the old mower and they are commenting and showing a new self propulsion drive. I am interested in buying the steel deck but I’m concerned it will have the old/lesser tech.....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd85zB-...
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,440 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The drive unit on the replacement mower looked just like the one it replaced, at least from the bottom.  (I think it was quieter and more powerful than the failed one just before it failed....I think that it probably worked just the same as the original when I first bought it.)
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

• 1,076 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Got it. Thanks.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
My 21SP is currently somewhere in the Home Depot repair system.  I've not received any updates after 2 weeks as to what's going on but I was told before it was sent off, that I should figure repairs would take about a month.   My mower was 3 years old at the time of the SP failure.  Not happy, especially with the long repair times.  EGO needs to figure out how to reduce repair times to a week. They shouldn't rely on Home Depot for service.   It's not like my grass stops growing because the mower is out of service.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,754 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I hope this info from Ego is helpful

Not all Home Depots perform the repair on-site, so it is possible they'll be sending your mower out. However, per our service agreement, the entire process should not take more than 4-6 weeks. If it takes more than four, please give our support team a call (1-855-346-5656).

In the meantime, you can always get real-time updates on your mower's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case. 

Photo of Slaw

Slaw

• 1,096 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
A month is still too long in my opinion. If the turnaround is more than two weeks they should either give out loaners or send out replacements. I know this isn’t a perfect comparison but when my Apple Watch stopped working under warranty I received another one in the mail and mailed in the faulty one. The one Apple sent me came in a tiny box with no straps or charger or anything. Ego could do the same thing. I don’t know how much you can strip down the mowers but as an example if you could remove everything but the deck and motor and then ego sends out a new deck and motor in a cheap non descriptive box and you attach the blade, handles, etc....
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,574 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thomas, an "unofficial" loaner program is to buy another tool at Home Depot and use it until the other tool gets returned or 90 days whichever comes first. HD's return policy is 90 days (1 year if paid with a HD credit card). Some balk at the idea but some have done it.
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

I wouldn’t be above it. You are following their rules so why not? The manager at my Home Depot is particularly lax. I returned the EGO snowblower a month after I bought it with no box and it was obviously used.....
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I called the rental dept where I dropped off the mower.  after a while they came back on the line saying they THINK the mower is en route back to the store and said to call back tomorrow.  if it is indeed fixed and back tomorrow that would be 17 or 18 days.  I'll update this when I lay eyes on my mower again.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Well, HD screwed up royally!    I just got off the phone with the repair department (855-284-3349).,  My unit didn't go to Tracy, it went to Arizona,.  In less than a day there, they couldn't find anything wrong and it has now been in transit for 8 days and I'm told to check in 2 days, to see if its back at my store.   Even IF the SP began magically working again, they also didn't do anything about the grinding noise, as the notes on my order show that they did NOTHING.   I'm so pissed!    This is unacceptable!!  

I was supposed to receive a call when they received it, and the notes also show that I was never called.   It is standard procedure that they call the customer if they find nothing wrong.   They have given me no reason why they failed to follow procedures.
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

So as discussed HD’s return policy is 90 days unless you have the HD credit card. However, if you pay with cash, don’t have a receipt and forget when you purchased something, you may unintentionally return something after the return period has expired.....
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

this is a 3 year old mower.
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Does this forum have an IM function?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,070 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No.
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

That is probably intentional. Haha.
Photo of OH customer

OH customer

• 60 Points
I am also waiting for repair.  SP function failed after a max. of 10 uses.  Took to EGO approved repair site.  They had to order part.  Been 31 days and counting...  not happy as the grass is now very high.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,092 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Call customer service.  Ego has stated they expect repairs to take no longer than 4-6 weeks and want to get involved at 4 weeks to expedite the process anyway they can.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,460 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
First, the mower will still cut grass even if the SP isn't working, so you should still be able to cut your lawn. See if you can get it back from the repair site until the part is in.

And if you've only used the mower 10 times it sounds like you could be within HD's 90-day return/exchange window, if you bought it at HD. If that's the case I would just exchange it for a new unit.