Mower Standard Blade Is Truly unacceptable honestly

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
I just bought a 21” self propelled ego mower. Sadly the blade that came with it originally made me want to just return the mower and the blade is sharp I checked it! Luckily I decided to see if there was a better blade option. Fortunately there is as this standard blade is horrible and unacceptable from Ego. I have ego snow blower and leaf blower and multi use tool with edger and trimmer and 5 batteries. I’m replacing a twin blade Honda mower. Honda’s blade is extremely noticeably way way better then Egos standard blade....I just about left a 1 Star review on Home Depot for the ego mower and was going to return it before I read about the high lift blade! If Ego wants less returns then the standard blade should be the high lift blade! Its truly needed especially in my area in the PNW.

standard blade problems!
Doesn’t lift the grass at all. Any grass blade that is not standing up won’t get cut. My lawn does not look nice and evenly cut at all with the Ego mower! I’d have to go over the lawn 3-4 times with ego and still might not be as good as my Honda.
Ego Wheel paths. Because this standard blade has practically no lift/suction the grass your wheels went over that you mow over on the next path doesn’t really cut the grass in the wheel path you just made since it doesn’t lift grass blades.
Longer grass areas are the worst. A corner of my backyard is well shaded so it grows quickly there. Zero suction so the grass blades won’t be sucked up then cut so not even cut at all and this area is the worst but I notice it everywhere.

Haven’t tried to bag the grass yet only mulched so far but I bet that’s not great either without more suction. I also cut my grass very high in length. Setting 4 on Ego. Standard Blade might be ok at a lower height cut setting but it is best in our area to keep grass longer. It doesn’t take as much water and grows slower at a higher height. Also grass is greener and fills in better as well at taller length of cut in our area.

Truly I consider this unacceptable from Ego. I was so close to returning the product and I can’t be the only one who felt this way. My lawn is very green and lush and fertilized 3-4 times a year! I’d have to cut twice a week to have a Nice-ish cut with the ego mower and standard blade.

I’ve read reviews on the high lift blade at Home Depot and the reviews do address all the problems I’ve said above about the standard blade. Hope they will or this is going back to Home Depot. Trying to go electric battery power only and love all the other tools I’ve purchased so far until this mower. Believe it’s as simple as changing to the high lift blade from what I’m reading.

Please Ego for new mower customers include the high lift blade especially in areas like the PNW who really need it. I just about returned it and if it wasn’t for discovering the high lift blade (should fix the problems) I would have returned the mower.
Photo of Brock sherwood

Brock sherwood

• 610 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • undecided so far

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 13,858 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It should be standard but I think they're trying to maximize battery time (at the cost of lift and a good cut)

Read this - changed my world

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/my-mower-sucks-and-im-happy-about-that
Photo of Brock sherwood

Brock sherwood

Thanks again bloomz! I was actually pretty mad about it. I don’t get the battery life thing if that’s what Ego wants is a longer battery life on these mowers. Cut quality is so important for us lawn care people who want a great looking lawn (also nice to pick up leaves pine needles and leftover bark and bag them sometimes) . Maybes it’s not a good blade for the other types of thinner grass.... Either way we should have received these high lift blades at no extra charge and should have been the blade that came with the mower at least at Home Depot’s in my area. I bet most of the reconditioned ones you find on Homedepot.com are from this exact simple blade problem. Probably makes Ego not make as much money dealing with more returns rather then just having the right blade pre-installed. Mine was going back tomorrow until I looked into the blades. I’d bet 4 out of 5 people who don’t like the cut quality just return the mower like I almost did. I actually told my daughters friends father about ego products I have and I told him I was going to buy the mower. He said he had the mower and he returned the mower as it left long grass strips in his lawn.... perfect example
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 72,206 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Cut quality is fine for me with the standard blade, properly sharpened.

Photo of cbe77

cbe77

• 426 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Ken - What type of grass is that in the pic?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 72,206 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's a Frankenlawn. Some zoysia with a lix of cooler-weather grasses infiltrating, including fescue and rye grasses.

This is the other side of my driveway, which is a more conventional mix of grasses, without the zoysia.

Photo of Brock sherwood

Brock sherwood

My lawn is very green and thick like this and the mower has zero struggles getting through any area of my yard. Seems to have a consistent RPM blade speed as well and hasn’t had tough enough grass to rev up.. Blade feels and looks sharp. Are you mowing twice a week? Is your height set at 2 or 3 instead of 4 (Higher Height would probably have less suction)? Are you bagging or mulching? I haven’t tried to bag yet (No reason to at the moment and I bag rarely as it ends up in land fills) but I could see bagging having a better suction in general which would improve the cut.
Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 1,622 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I too have no problems with the standard blade, but apparently it depends on the grass type and desired length. I believe I use level 3, and I wouldn't call my lawn particularly thick, so that's probably why I'm ok.