Mower side-discharge attachment KEEPS popping out!

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Side discharge chute won't stay on

Yes, I carefully watched EGO's video about how to properly install the various attachments, and read the manual cover to cover, but it's a design-flaw and my side-discharge-chute falls out CONSTANTLY, making me very frustrated while trying to use this machine for its intended purpose!  I CAREFULLY line everything up, insert the base of this chute into that little crevice, then "firmly" press it into place, but it's still no good.  

Everytime I turn the mower, I tilt it back onto its rear wheels to pivot, and BAM the side discharge-chute pops out again.  Hit a bump?  What-do-ya-know!  Side Discharge Chute is on the ground once again!  My last mowing required re-installing that darn side-discharge-chute 5 times, having to stop and mess with something that is clearly a major design flaw.  

I'm a side-discharging kind of guy - it's my preferred method of mowing, and this thing really irks me.  Every other mower actually discharges their clippings from the SIDE, not out the back, then out the side, like this EGO does.  I can only imagine how it would void my warranty if I cut a hole in its plastic deck, where most other mower's position their side-dischargers . . .  I want to though, but I'd need to fashion some sort of shield or flap at that point, pretty much re-designing the entire thing.  

At first, I REALLY liked how I could get close to things ambidextrously, on either side of the mower, and I'm putting up with the elongated front not allowing me to get close to things from a forward attack, but this is unacceptable and makes me really consider just fully giving up and returning it!

I can't be the only one having this issue, and being extremely annoyed.  Would cutting a hole in its side void my warranty (of course it would), and if so, will you EGO people please devise a solution and send it to me?  Please?  I really want to remain a loyal fan, but this has got me second-guessing my admiration.  

I thought I paid for a "3-in1" mower, but only mulching and bagging is merely 2-in-1!  I was tricked!  I need to side-discharge!!!
Photo of E Power GO Beyond Belief

E Power GO Beyond Belief

• 1,404 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • hornswoggled!

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Check the spring tension on the rear flap of the mower. As far as I know, the spring in that flap is what's supposed to hold the chute in place.
It's sprung as it should be.  Not overly tight, nor loose.  It's got good spring tension and my mower is still new.  I make sure that rear flap sits on those little plastic tabs of the chute, but the slightest bump will still dislodge it.  I want to superglue my chute on at this point, as I use the side-discharge > 95% of the time.  
(Edited)
I just realized I wouldn't be able to fold it up / stand it up if I super-glued that side-discharge thing in there :/  The folding/standing feature is one of my favorite things about this mower.  Darn it.  That side-discharge-thing really bugs me to no end.  I need to remove it when I don't want to, and it removes itself when I don't want it to!
Photo of Suzanne Chavez

Suzanne Chavez

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I get it...you really need to side discharge!... I used mine for awhile with the flap holding it in. Then one time I decided to use the fully blocking one allowing the grass the just fall down...worked like a charm. No fussing over the chute coming out.
I like how you don't need to remove the mulching piece for it to fold up and stand-up.  I guess I need to decide if I'm okay with being told something was 3-in-1, when in real-world-use it's only 2-in-1.  That's what really gets to me, being lied to like that. 

I guess if I can come to grips with being lied to, I could just mow more often so it can mulch happily, but still - the lies . . .   I want a third of my money back, then I'd be happy with it.  Just sayin'.  
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,600 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There's a difference between "being lied to" and a feature not working as well as it should. Get a grip.

Try mulching for a change. It's less messy and it's better for your lawn anyway. You might like it.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Moto, I don't think anyone is lying.  It sounds like your chute may have an issue.  Maybe it's not molded properly or something?  Maybe it's an issue with the mower's rear cover?

Why don't you get in touch with Customer Service and maybe they can send you a new chute to try out.  While it seems there are very few people on this board who use the discharge chute, you are the first I can remember with an issue with the chute falling out... most people's complaints with the chute seem to be related to it clogging and needing to be cleared while mowing.

You are correct, the feature should work properly.
(Edited)
@Ken:  Semantics.  You say tomato, I say blatant lies.  I love mulching, but that's irrelevant.  

@ Blue Angel:  Here are a whole slew of others with their chutes CONSTANTLY falling off for your perusal:  https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/side_discharge_chute_wont_stay_on
(Edited)
That thread I linked to is a year old - so this design-flaw-issue has been known for quite some time.  The answer seems to be, "Just mulch with it," which doesn't address the "3-in-1" aspect that drew me in initially.  Classic bait and switch tactic, if they refuse to remedy this flaw.  Preposterous! I have every right to be upset, but I am well within my return window and that seems to be my only option - other than accept that I fell victim to this bait-and-switch and choose to give-up one of my "in-1's" that I thought I was getting.  The most important "1", I might add.  My most favorite "1".  

Returning this mower will urge me to also return my chainsaw, blower, and trimmer, since I'll now need to invest in another battery system for a mower - I could then buy into someone who offers a bladed edger, among other useful implements.  I'm just saying I'm tempted at this point.  

I'd like to hear a promising response from the EGO team, that they'd like to keep my business and admit their fault, and take steps to fix this real issue.  I only just bought this mower this week, so I'll patiently await some good news.  

Sure, I'll call them tomorrow, but I really don't see anything changing by them sending me another chute, that'll be exactly the same.  
(Edited)
Photo of Suzanne Chavez

Suzanne Chavez

Dear sir, quit your whining and call customer service. If they are blatant liars and cheats then you may resume whining.
(Edited)
Dear Madam, kindly back away from your computer, and stop taking my comments personally.  It's just not healthy or wise.  I will comment as I see fit.  
Photo of Suzanne Chavez

Suzanne Chavez

Dear sir, ha! And you do the same! Have a lovely day!
10-4, Madam :)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,100 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I agree that the side discharge is a joke. It needs to be addressed i agree, but it doesn't benefit the mower at all to have the side discharge as an option. Run time wont increase much and you get clogs. It needs to be completely redesigned or removed and called a 2 in 1. From the design, it looks like it may have been a last minute addition to make it a 3 in 1 which i don't thing was a good idea because no one probably uses it.

But if this is the reason you want to bring all of your tools back then thats kind of silly in my opinion. The Ego platform is far superior to their competitors, again my opinion.
You're right.  I just tried mulching again (albeit with short grass - since I've been mowing way too much with this thing, it's just fun!), and it works well.  I will keep it, because of its superb batteries and how much I love my trimmer and blower (the chainsaw is on its way).  I do love the handle design and the ease of folding . . .  Once I stopped focusing on this side-discharge issue, my admiration returned.

I don't have to remove the attachment to fold it / stand it up when I keep the mulching piece in, making everything more convenient.  I'll just consider it my 2-in-1 mulcher/bagger and discard this subpar side-discharge-chute.  
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,068 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Moto Krome, We’re glad to learn that you may have become an EGO mulching convert, and that you like the rest of your EGO lineup and the EGO battery power. That said, we’re sorry that the side chute was not working for you. We’re available 7 days a week to troubleshoot or answer any questions you have.  At this time, we have not made a redesign to our side discharge but are taking all suggestions/complaints seriously.  Change takes time and we appreciate you and all others taking the time to share their experiences with us.
Thanks for your response, Jennifer VandeWater, but let me tell you something:  I just sharpened my blade and OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!  What a HUGE difference that made in its mulching prowess!  Whoa.  I mean, like, WHOA!  It SLICED through them tall, tough weeds in the corners of my yard like a laser through cornbread.  Seriously.  Made all the difference in the WORLD.

Not sure why my blade wasn't laser sharp from the factory, possibly to retain its "edge" longer, or to protect consumers from cutting up their phalanges, but it was ground kind of blunt.  I took that sucker to my belt grinder and darn-near got it hair-popping sharp (okay, not quite, but did a world of improvement for it), and the motor just HUMMED. 

I could tell it didn't need to work anywhere near as hard as it did to SLICE my yard up to shreds.  

Hey, everybody:  SHARPEN YOUR BLADE!!!!  It makes this thing a MONSTER!  I can deal with not side-shootin', now that it's cuttin' like butter.  Before, not so much, but now?  Oh yeah!  Thing is crazy sexy sharp and more efficient.  I didn't think this  could happen, but it did.  The sharpness feels like it gave the motor triple horsepowers.  No lie.  Quadruple the torque, no joke.  Seriously.  Dang.  Real Talk.  
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,794 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

We've been preaching that for over a year.  A lot of us that have been around a while sharpen after each run.  The blade is light weight and dulls very quickly.  Over wet grass even quicker!   The factory blade is very dull.  I sharpen mine to be like a razor blade (sharpness).

We all wonder about the sharpness from the factory.  It doesn't do the mower justice!

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,202 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Guessing it has something to do with the softness of the metal used. I have hit pieces of mulch that left serious dings in the blade, and a little rock knocked a 1/4" out of my newest blade.

Sharpening twice per week (alternating blades, one sharpening each) also means that I am going through 1-2 blades per season. I would really love a premium blade from Ego, but if they don't ever make one I'll buy the first aftermarket blade that fits.
Sweetness.  I get my knives razor sharp, and figure I'll work up to that level on my blade(s).  For this first sharpening, I just followed the original chisel grind, then gave it a quick pass at 0o on the other side to knock off any burr.  I used a worn 800 grit belt, but polished it up rather shiny . . . Since I use a slightly loose belt, it does give it a slightly convex edge for strength.  I imagine it'll only get sharper from this point on, as I regularly maintain it.  I plan to at least be able to cut paper smoothly with it, but it is a rather obtuse angle (for durability), compared to my pocket knives.  I strop my pocket knives with fine diamond paste on a leather hone, but doubt I'll take my mower blade to that extreme, unless pushed.  
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Same experience with me David.  Any "clump" of material will ding the blade, or at least kill off the sharpness.
@David Cline, I wonder if we should be heat-treating these blades ourselves?  That might be just the ticket toward enhancing their utility and durability.  Maybe get some custom blades made by a renowned knifemaker or something.  

I've got an additional blade coming in the mail, to rotate them the way you described.  I might just try to do a ghetto heat-treat on one, for fun, but probably not, maybe though.  
The way my blade fit on there - it's just a hole . . . makes me wonder if maybe I can get a higher quality blade retrofitted on there.  It is an inch shorter than the run-of-the-mill 21" size, and it might void the warranty as well.  Hearing these anecdotes makes me want to seek out some high-carbon 1095 with a good heat-treat on it.  Or S30V stainless, but that's probably not necessary.  Hrmph.  Here's to hoping they'll improve the blades' quality in the future.  Fingers crossed.  
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I tried heat treating one and it made no difference.  They were designed to be light, thus "soft".  Better mileage out of your battery.  I've been hunting for a generic 19" that would fit, I tried a 20", but it was too big!
How are ya'll sharpening your blades??  I just watched a video for RBG mower blade sharpening system, and it just cooks them soft - what a joke!  I'd bet a professional mower blade sharpener would use such a thing, which would ruin the temper, then the blades would require sharpening MUCH more often (ensuring the pro-sharpener has repeat busine$$), making it a soft, worthless thing.  

Any blade worth its salt has a tempered edge, so I can't imagine EGO's blades would be any different (I sure hope not), and I wonder if some of you have softened your blades through sharpening and overheating them?  (just curious, not pointing any fingers here)

I went very slowly, and the steel was HARD for this initial sharpening.  If you're using coarse grits, I'd think about dipping 'em in water between passes.  I used a very fine grit, and went very slowly, never heating the steel hardly at all.  

I'm new, and have only sharpened it once, and haven't checked it since (but only mowed the edges of my small yard - a few weeds thus far), so maybe they are as soft and fragile as you say, but I WANT to doubt it.  I want to have more faith in these blades than that.  

I should probably find the sharpening thread and post these ramblings there, but I'll keep my eye on 'em and report my findings.  Just wanted to say that I'll be very careful not to overheat them, the way I just watched a PROFESSIONAL "sharpen" some mower blades on the youtube.  I'm shaking my head at that guy and his expensive rig.  
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I sharpen mine with a circular grinder.  I put a sandpaper flapping wheel on it.  The blade never gets hot, just sharp.  So it isn't softening it, just creating a razor sharp edge.  If I get a nick in the blade, I'll move over to the grinding wheel and apply very light pressure till I work it out, then go back to the flapper for the sharpening.  I've done this technique for 10 years, and it gives  superior results.

I've read some people like those hand sharpeners you can buy on Amazon, which you can sharpen the blade without removing it.  They work fine, the metal is so darned soft on these blades that I could probably sharpen it with dirt.  (Sorry EGO, but I really would like a more robust blade to go on my mower).

Almost forgot.  I always check the balance of the blade by putting the bolt in it and holding it out, if one side tilts down from weight, I just grind some of the back side (not the cutting edge) from the side of the blade that has gotten too heavy.

(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,202 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I've always used a fine handheld file or coarse whetstone for general sharpening. If I get a ding or chip then I even it out and sharpen the recessed area with a rotary tool.

I picked up the general sharpening tool and tried it the last few times. I had already made the angle narrower, but the tool was even narrower still. If you don't match the blade angle with a different tool first then it will only shave the back edge of the blade initially, and would take forever to shave down to the tip. Even after doing that, it takes quite a few passes to sharpen after just 1-2 uses. And it will catch on the smallest of imperfections if not already smoothed over with a different tool.

No matter what, I always take the blade off, clean the underside of the deck, check and sharpen the blade, spray a graphite repellant on both sides of the blade, and then once everything is dry I spray a little silicone lubricant over the deck and blade. About once per month I have been respraying the underside of the deck with the same graphite coating.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,100 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I also use a right angle grinder with a 200 grit flaper wheel. I get it as sharp as i posibly can. I have also been preaching that for over a year. I sharpen 2 times per 1.75 acres that i mow.
Photo of Suzanne Chavez

Suzanne Chavez

Love that you all sharpen your blades yourselves, that is all a mystery to me, I am wondering where to take mine to be sharpened.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Suzanne,

If you are comfortable at all holding the blade, something like this might be enough to keep your blade sharp.  Reviews are mostly favorable. 

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-50119-Mower-Blade-Sharpener/dp/B008KYV7I2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14...

In all honesty, some of go a bit "above and beyond".  So as long as it is decently sharp, it doesn't have to be a razor, you'll be fine.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I'm also a flap wheel sharpener. MUCH easier and safer than using a traditional hard grinding disc, and does a fantastic job.

Mine are 80 grit though... you lightweights are all using finishing paper! ;-)
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.