mower shuts off after a few inches of grass

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
i love my EGO mower, i bought the trimmer and blower too. i've mowed probably 10 times this summer (bought the mower may 2015) and the last 2 times i've used it on moderate grass height (probably about a 5 setting) being cut to 3 the mower would flash yellow and die.  i can start right back up but dies again cutting the grass in the same fashion.  i made sure everything was cleared in the blade area and chutes (i tried mulching and bagging and both failed) and i've tried 2 different fully charged batteries.  what can i do to fix the problem?
Photo of Jack Venticinque

Jack Venticinque

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,418 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response

Hello Jack,

Going from a level 5 to 3 means that your grass was trained to grow at the higher level, and is probably thicker at level 3.  Some factors that affect cutting performance

• Dull Blade (Sharpen often, world of difference)

• Wet or Damp grass blades

• Overgrown grass

• Type of grass

I would recommend sharpening the blade to a razor sharp cutting edge, and see how the cutting goes.

Jack Venticinque

dry, even scorched grass, not overgrown or overly thick.  i couldn't tell you the type but i live in central NJ.  i haven't sharpened my blade yet but its not even 4 months old with pretty little use ( i have 2 babies and don't mow as often as I'd like at times)   i normally cut at a 4, i tried going to 3 but it kept dying on me so continued my lawn at a 4 with a few areas that i had to "lift" the blade up a little to keep it from staling.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,418 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
hi Jack, four months is really stretching it for this blade. These blades are thin and made of soft metal, which tends to Dull rather quickly. I can't go more than two cuts without having problems cutting, related to the dull blade. My grass is really thick, with the blades. Try sharpening your blade and see how it goes. Take care.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I agree with SCDC, it sounds like you probably just need a sharper blade.

I recommend buying a new blade and swapping it out for your current blade. That way you can sharpen your full blade at your convenience and have it ready and waiting when you need to sharpen the new blade. It's easier to swap in a blade that's already ready than to remove, sharpen, and reinstall before starting (or resuming) your mowing.
(Edited)

Jack Venticinque

i bought a new blade so like recommended, i can use the new while sharpening the old at my convenience,  ill see if the new blade works and report back
Photo of Chris Evatt

Chris Evatt

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I had the same problem today. Cleaned the whole thing so nothing could block the grass from getting into the bag... didn't work.  Sharpened the blade... didn't work.  Realized that the handle locking clamp wasn't clamped to the arm... clamped it, Problem solved. WE

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.