Mower pulses then does not start. Orange light flashes on mower then becomes orange and green alternating flash

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
I have a 21" Ego self-propelled mower. I have used this mower with much success for 1.5 years.  Recently the mower will not start.

When you depress the button and engage the bale, the motor pulses and then an orange light on the back of the mower flashes repeatedly.  After about 10-20 seconds the flashing becomes alternating green and orange.  After 10-20 seconds of that, it stops flashing.

If you lift the mower deck by pushing down on the handle before starting the blade, the mower will start and mow for a while but then stops and repeats the flashing sequence described above.

I have called Ego and waited on hold for an hour with no contact.  I have requested a call back and left a message with no return contact.  I can't contact Ego via email since there is no email address listed on the website.  When I try to open/create a case online it forces you to log in.  When I try to create an account it tells me i already have an account (which I don't).  When I try to reset the password on the "account" I already have it just tells me to verify the email address and the web page locks up.

There seems to be virtually no way to contact them and as a result there appears to be no way to get any satisfaction regarding the faulty performance of this lawn mower that is well within the warranty period.  I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, contacted my local State Attorney General's office, and I am seeking counsel from the Consumer Protection Agency.  I am hoping to initiate a response from Ego to replace my apparently defective mower.

The problem seems to occur with both of my batteries.  Unless both of my batteries are simultaneously becoming defective, I would assume it is the lawn mower at fault.  I have noticed a few conversations mentioning this problem with vague references to a resolution involving a simple adjustment made at Home Depot.  I have not yet seen a detailed description of the adjustment.

I doubt that Ego will post this conversation but in the event that it goes on the forum, I'm asking for your help.  Has anyone had this problem and found a resolution that they can describe?
Photo of Kenneth E Nolfi

Kenneth E Nolfi

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • abandoned

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of David Campbell

David Campbell

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Take it back to the place you bought it from and request that it be repaired.  It should be under warranty.  I had the same issue.  Had no problem talking to Ego.  They were great.   I bought it from Home Depot. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,376 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Not sure when you called but Ego was closed Monday and their system went down Wednesday, so they are a bit backed up this past week.

Give Ego customer service a call.  Call them first thing in the morning if you can to minimize any wait.  They will help you trouble shoot and get a warranty repair if needed.

Photo of Dan Branch

Dan Branch

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Sounds familiar, is the latch for the handle fully engaged? The micro switch will cause the mower to start for a few seconds then stop.
Photo of Kenneth E Nolfi

Kenneth E Nolfi

Thanks David and szwoopp for your replies. I purchased at Home Depot and was directed to contact Ego.

I called Ego once on Tuesday, held for a half hour and requested a call back. I got none.

I meticulously cleaned the bottom of the lawn mower hoping to resolve the problem with no luck. I called Thursday and held for an hour. I left a message and got no response.

I called today and held for 45 minutes. I left another message and got no reply. When I tried to call back later they were closed.

I scoured the internet hoping to find some email address with which I could contact Ego. I tried info@egopowerplus.com and got an autoreply that said the mailbox was unattended. I then tried warranty@egopowerplus.com and got no response (which seems better than the former).

Unless this company is closing their doors, something has gone terribly wrong with their customer support. If you read a bit it appears that my experience is not unique. I will email Home Depot's corporate office tomorrow to ask for help with resolving this almost unbelievable lack of concern on Ego's part.

I will try to call Ego again in the morning as you have suggested. It does seem to be a shame though that you have to time your point of contact to accommodate their apparent lack of proper staffing.
Photo of Kenneth E Nolfi

Kenneth E Nolfi

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did check the handle and it appears to be properly engaged.

I've read that this condition appears when the bottom of the mower needs cleaned. I have cleaned it regularly. The blade moves freely and smoothly. I have removed the blade and it appears that the motor shaft turns smoothly with little effort from a two-finger twist.

Considering that the mower will start when the deck is raised suggests that there is something impeding the free rotation of the blade but that doesn't seem to be the case. It almost seems that the sensor that detects the impeded rotation of the blade has become hyper-sensitive or something to that effect.

I loved this mower and probably referred 4-5 friends that bought one as well. Too bad for us
Photo of Kenneth E Nolfi

Kenneth E Nolfi

My model number is LM2100SP and the manufacture date is June 2016. I bought the mower in May 2018. I suppose it was nearly two years old stock when I got it. Kind of unsettling
Photo of Kurt Meyer

Kurt Meyer

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Downward pressure on the handle is also present with your test.  There have been issues with the microswitch actuator in the handle latch (not necessarily the switch itself but the bits that push on it).  You could test that by not extending the handle and trying to start the mower and seeing if you see the same behavior, or by propping up the front of the mower with a block or something and trying to start...although any satisfaction from these exercises would be more for curiosity than anything useful :).  

The main thing is to keep trying to reach EGO customer support. They must be having some continuing technical issues because in my experience they've always been pretty easy to reach.

Good luck and stay with it.
Photo of Kenneth E Nolfi

Kenneth E Nolfi

Thanks for your reply Kurt and thanks for the interesting input.

On my unit, when the handle safety switch is deployed the blade does not spin at all. In my current case the blade starts very briefly (half to quarter second) then stops. For that reason I have dismissed the handle switch (for now). I suppose the brief start of the mower could be effecting the handle switch. It's worth another look for sure
Photo of Kurt Meyer

Kurt Meyer

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yah, that sounds pretty much like what my mower was doing.  I called EGO and described the symptoms and the person said that problems like that usually are in the electronics and not readily fixed.  In my case that meant I was out of luck because my warranty had just expired.  I was so mad I bought a Toro and sold my EGO battery.  In your case, when you do finally get through they'll either tell you to take it to HD service (mercy on your soul if that happens) or they'll send you a new mower, which would be better although it reminds me of the old joke, to paraphrase, "if this one's no good we'll send you another one just like it.."  Sorry...but anyway, whatever happens, persistently demand satisfaction if your mower's operation is less than perfect while it's still under warranty, because when the warranty expires you will be on your own.

Photo of Tim Allen

Tim Allen

• 64 Points
I bought the LM2100SP self propelled June 2019. I removed the blade and sharpened as per the video procedure on their website. I reinstalled the bade after ensuring that the blade is balanced. Now the blade will not engage. The yellow light (they call it orange) fIashes quickly. DID Not remove a "lockout block" on the handle that they reference. Since I could find no way to do that. I called tech support and left a message for call back 20 minutes ago.  I sent an online problem description as well - though I am not at all certain that it was received by EZGO tech support.  Any clues from this community would be appreciatedl.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,986 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
See manual page 25 - 28 for instructions.
-If the fan or any other parts came off when removing the blade - make sure you reinstalled them in the proper order and direction
-make sure the this side facing grass is visible so that the blade is installed in the proper direction
-make sure you didn't over tighten the bolt - torque setting of 36-43 ft lb

I do not know what you are referring to when you talk about a lock out block.  Perhaps the video was using a different model ?

https://egopowerplus.com/media/productattach/1/5/15-0910_ego_lm2100sp_lm2100_56v_lithium-ion_cordles...

Photo of michelle walker

michelle walker

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Kenneth,
Sounds like my issue. It starts for a second, then flashes orange, then flashes green, then powers off. I called EGO (after a few minutes on hold they give you the option to put in your number and call you back) they sent me a new battery (took 8 days to get to me), but got the new battery today and same problem. So, they told me I have to take my mower to Home Depot for a technician to look at it. Costs $20 and HD takes about 1-2 weeks to try to diagnose. If HD can't figure it out (which I'm told is about 90% of the time) they send it out to be repaired. Whatever the issue, HD told me it may or may not be covered under warranty (not sure what that means since it is under 3 years old and in good condition). If it's covered, I get the $20 back. If not, it goes towards the repairs. I tried troubleshooting from every option I have read on here and nothing worked. I didn't want to take anything apart since that will void the warranty. EGO was pretty good on sending me a new battery, but the several weeks part will be a pain. 
(Edited)