Mower Not cutting well.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Solved
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Power Plus 21" self propelled mower uneven cutting

Mower not cutting well. I bought the self propelled model and it leaves streaks of uncut grass everywhere. I have tried sharpening the blade mulching bagging nothing works. Still have streaks. I really want this mower to work for me. But I am having majors issues. I do plenty of overlap on passes and am cutting my tall fescue grass at 4. About every 5 days.
Photo of Rob Gregory

Rob Gregory

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jeff L

Jeff L

• 2,884 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Is that 4 inches or at notch 4?  I find that above a notch setting of 3 result is a poor cut on fine fescue.  I am waiting for the new blade that will pick up the fine grasses for a better cut.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 65,350 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Are you always cutting in the same direction, for example north and south? Regardless of what kind of mower I've owned I've always changed directions at each subsequent mow. Always seemed to make for a more even mow each time. So, north/south one time and then the next time east/west. 
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,184 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
This has been an ongoing well documented problem with this 21" model. The only thing that seems to help is to reduce the amount of the blade of grass being cut off. Since it doesn't mulch well the less you cut the less it will show. There's no better solution. Alternatively, you might want to bag the clippings​ when having to cut more than an inch of the grass blade.
The original 20" mower mulches beautifully. l dont know about the new 20" steel deck version. Need to see some reviews..
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,184 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Rob, I miss understood your problem...(I thought you were referring to rows of cut grass left on the left side of the mower path) rows of uncut grass is usually caused because the wheels or other means have tamped down the grass before cutting and it isn't springing back up. This happens more if the grass is damp or too long or both. We will have to hold our breath to see if the high lift blade can help resolve this type of issue.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

I don't really know how much of each blade of grass I'm cutting off, but I use the #2 setting on my 21" mower and all the grass gets cut very evenly. I don't use the mulching feature so maybe that's part of the problem, but just for straight up mowing, I get nice even mows every time.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Mike, do you bag your clippings or use the side discharge?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

I bag them.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Tried editing my comment, but it's not taking. Anyway, I should also say I have the push version, not the self propelled and I do walk at a fairly leisurely pace when mowing so maybe that makes a difference.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,512 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You cannot edit your comment once some one replies, or hits the like button for it.
Photo of padro

padro

• 70 Points
What would solve this problem is a double blade of the type used by Honda. That will ensure the grass blades are thrown around move and cut twice. Is there such a blade available for the 21 inch. Other than this the mower is great.
Photo of Terry Hauser

Terry Hauser

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I bought a 21" mulching blade for Toro/Craftsman/etc., that is flat rather than lower on the outer perimeter. Trimmed 1/4" off each end using high speed cutoff wheel, mounted on motor shaft with appropriate shims to keep centered. Trail of cuttings is gone, cuttings are smaller and now the mower actually mulches. The EGO mulching blade is poor design and is only 20" (sold as a 21" but is only 20.25") so leaves too much clearance to the deck. Grass just falls out rather than being recycled.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim Wieland

Tim Wieland

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Terry, that is interesting what you discovered.  Any chance you have a part # or link to the specific blade you tried as I would like to try as well, thanks!
Photo of Terry Hauser

Terry Hauser

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi Tim. Blade is MTD 942-0741. Got it at Menards. Too long so you will need to take 3/8 or so off each end. Must use high speed cutoff wheel as blade is hardened. Used 4ea tiny spacers, 2-56 nuts as I recall, to hold it centered on motor shaft. Original bolt & washers work just fine. Invert mower so spacers stay in place while installing!
(Edited)
Photo of Tim Wieland

Tim Wieland

Thanks so much for the info, am going to give it try and will report back after a few mowings to let you know my experience!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 99,440 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you are going to buy a random blade why not just buy a 20" mulching blade and save yourself the need to cut it down to size ?
Photo of Tim Wieland

Tim Wieland

I think Terry’s comment about a longer blade that is closer to the inside edge may be worth pursuing so want to try something closer to 21”
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

missed that - interesting
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,620 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
But, if he cut 1/4” off each end he is only 1/8” closer to the housing. I think EGO needs to look at the aerodynamics of their blade.

Also, know using non-EGO blades voids your warranty and if you are using tiny spacers that sound like they are not trapped by the motor shaft be careful at speed the blade has high potential energy!

( these unsafe posts are the ones EGO should edit! )
Photo of Mitigator

Mitigator

• 1,004 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I am having somewhat of a similar problem in that my first cut was last Tuesday around my garden with my new EGO 21" Self Propelled mower. It was set at #4 Height Setting. The Grass was about 2 Feet Wide around the Garden for this test run. Four days later the grass (which was slightly wet) is as high as it was on Tuesday!! Going to take the new blade off to sharpen it & try again.  Also when trying out the Self Propelled Mode the Mower jumps then takes off like a bullet - is this normal? 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,394 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I don't own the SP mower, but I believe when you pull the lever the mower should just smoothly speed up and hold at your selected speed.

Anyone with a SP mower have different info?
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,114 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Taking off like a bullet isn't right. It should take off smoothly and get to your desired speed that you have selected within a couple of seconds. I recall it may jump if you have pulled the mower backwards and at the same time pulled the SP lever...better to wait a second until you have stopped reversing.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,216 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I have the 21SP.  The speed should ramp up slowly enough not to spin the wheels or feel "jerky".   That's one of the features I like about the Ego mower over my trusty Honda Harmony which would spin the wheels which would damage the grass.  AAMOF, IMO, the best feature of the 21SP is the propulsion (when it works--I'm having intermittent failures which aren't often enough to be confident that techs can troubleshoot properly and fix)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Dave, another member mentioned that they had an issue with the connection between the handle wiring and the mower that they fixed by removing a panel below the mower and could see a loose connection. Something to look into if you feel adventurous. :-)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,216 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
are you talking about on the underside of the deck?  if there are more specifics on another thread, could you give me a reference to it?  thx.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Thanks for the link, szwoop!

Dave, now that I think of it, that poster's issue was a complete lack of operation. It may not have anything to do with your issue isolated to the SP function.
I am having the same problem. If I go over it twice it cuts beautifully. I did notice that if I do not engage the self propel function I get a much better cut. It looks like the deck raises slightly when self propelled is engaged. My yard is hilly and I need the power.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 90,700 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Try applying some upward pressure on the handle while mowing thus keeping the front end on the ground.
Photo of Mitigator

Mitigator

• 1,004 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
21" SP Mower now working Well:
Well this is quite remarkable - from reading other suggestions on the Forum here -  today I lowered the my EGO 21" SP Mower from setting #4 to setting #3 (2.5") and now all is well!!  The mower cut the partially wet grass in Mulch Mode around the Garden well, and the Self Propelled function no longer Jump Starts when I select it. Only my 2nd time cutting with the 21" SP mower but I can easily live with this. Also cleaning the mower was a breeze, first I wiped the under deck down with a dry cloth to clear the grass cuttings, then I dipped one corner of the cloth in a bit of water in a margarine container squeezed it out and wiped the under deck again to a clean finish, great.  Thanks a lot for the helpful suggestions, guys and girls.  
Photo of Jeff L

Jeff L

• 2,884 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
You can add an additional .25" to the cutting height in each setting, the blade is recessed .25".
(Edited)
Photo of walt.hilger

walt.hilger

• 70 Points
My ego 21" SP mower is leaving streaks of uncut grass on the higher blade settings.  Using the original blade that came with the mower and a 4.0amp battery.  These are light cuts, cutting the lawn about every 4 to 5 days.  The streaks are inconsistent but seems to be primarily in the more lush areas of the lawn and at the edge of the cutting radius.  From the comments here, it sounds like a lower setting might have better results but in the warm summer days, need to stay at the higher deck height to help the grass maintain moisture.  Mower is one notch off the top deck height.  Any better results at the higher heights with the newer blade?  Would a stronger battery have better torque/results?

When I talked with customer support in grand rapids Michigan she suggested this was normal and going over the affected areas multiple times would help!  The other suggestion was to leave the unit at Home Depot for repair....
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,234 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Walt, have you made sure to sharpen the blade? Many cut quality issues are caused by a dull cutting edge, and the blades ship with an edge that's far from sharp.
Photo of walt.hilger

walt.hilger

• 70 Points
Yup, thought that could be it too.  Wasn't real dull but had it sharpened and no discernible change to the streaks of uncut grass the mower is leaving behind.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Perhaps the tips from Michel G below might help? (Cutting CCW, blade height)
Photo of Anne Byrne

Anne Byrne

• 60 Points
Also having strips of uncut grass. Mower was purchased September 2016 so not a great deal of use. It is the 21inch SP 56V model. I have Bermuda grass. Also noting diminished battery life. Down to 30min now. That is not acceptable. I have called customer service and am waiting for a call back. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Anne, the most common cause of diminishing performance is a dull blade. Have you tried sharpening it? Also, what height setting are you using?
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,676 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Anne! We're sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your mower and battery. Please keep us posted on how this issue is resolved. 
Photo of padro

padro

• 70 Points

This is a note for Amber F. You emailed me on 7/10 trying to contact someone called Rob, saying " Amber F Official EGO Rep profile picture Amber F. (Official EGO Rep) commented on a reply to this problem: Mower Not cutting well.

Rob, were you able to resolve the issue on your own? Our team has tried contacting you via phone and email, but has not heard back. "

I am NOT Rob/ I suggest you have the wrong email address. Thanks

Photo of Amber F.

• 67,676 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Padro! That was not me emailing you. That was just an email notification that I had commented (to the original poster) on this thread. Apologies for any confusion! :-) 
Photo of David Kaiser

David Kaiser

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have had the same experience with thicker Kentucky bluegrass. The mower just doesn't mulch well and leaves streaks mainly on the left side. Like the mower, but after a couple of months I am giving up and selling it. Takes too long to double mow areas and I'm tight on battery time. I have sharpened the blade, change mowing directions, etc and no luck. Confusing to me why everyone loves this mower so much for mulching.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

David, it seems that every now and then there's a lawn that just doesn't agree with the 21" Ego mower for whatever reason. If you've tried all the common tricks and it's still not working for you, there's not much else you can do.

Keep in mind you have 90 days to return if you bought from HD, and 12 months if you used the HD card.
Photo of David Kaiser

David Kaiser

Not on power equipment. 30 days. Tried Home Depot and they will not take it back. I did purchase it with their credit card. So I am stuck taking a hit on a mower that doesn't mulch.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I believe that only applies to gas powered equipment, not electric. Give it a shot. Lots of people have returned or exchanged their mowers within the 90 day period.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,958 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
David - I'm a new EGO owner. I'm in the Chicago area and have the same grass you do. I find I don't get the streak of grass on #3 but do on #2 but #2 is pretty short for my lawn. Also, I mentioned this on another post, my Honda Harmony would also leave some clumps to the left. The Honda manual said when you mulch to cut in a CCW direction. Maybe this will help you?

Mike
Photo of David Kaiser

David Kaiser

My mower is already set high. I also have tried different patterns.
Photo of David Kaiser

David Kaiser

Blue Angel - THANK YOU!  I looked at the Home Depot return policy again and we returned to ask again if we could return it.  This time the person checked the code on the receipt and said yes.  So we were able to return it and I bought a different mower that works great for my situation.

For anyone that reads this thread, please do not take my comments to mean I do not like this mower.  I like EGO and the people on this forum.  It is a good product but just didn't work for me. I wish EGO continued success and hope I can look at one of their models in the future.

I previously reviewed this mower on homedepot.com and gave it 4 out of 5 starts.  I stand by that and still recommend people give this mower a hard look.  Only issue I had was thick grass and my new gas mower has no issue with it at all.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Any time, David!  Maybe an Ego string trimmer or blower would suit your needs?  The 15" trimmer is a real sweetheart! :-)
Photo of David Kaiser

David Kaiser

I own their blower and trimmer. Excellent products.
Photo of Nun Ya

Nun Ya

• 72 Points
David... what mower did you get after you returned your Ego? I have thick KBG & I am so frustrated with the horrible cut quality of my Ego on cutting height setting # 5. About to give up on Ego.
Photo of Brad Carey

Brad Carey

• 2,250 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This is my first year with the 21" SP and now that my Bermuda is in its thick summer mode, I am now having issues with tons of grass collecting along the left side in mulching mode. Typically a second pass takes care of it, but that really adds to my cut time.

This is on setting 2 while cutting twice a week, dry grass. I did notice that my blade was already pretty dull so I did a quick sharpening before my last cut and it seemed to help a bit. Next cut I'm going to make the blade razor sharp to see where that gets me.

I purchased on the HD card so I'm not in a huge hurry to make a decision, but this summer will be my trial period. I want to love and keep this mower, but if I can't get past this grass collecting, I don't know if I will.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Cutting in a counter clockwise pattern allows you overlap the left side portion of the previous pass.  Thus you do not need a full second pass only partial.

Credit and Thanks to the original poster of this ego mow hack
Photo of Brad Carey

Brad Carey

I've been adopting this method and it does help as it just keeps moving the clipping line towards the center. That said, while it's a help, I am finding I still need to make some additional passes to really clean things up.

I've also tried letting some of the clumping go and following up with a quick blow from the EGO blower. It's quick and works well, and fairly efficient since I already have the blower out for the hard surfaces.

I'm going to give it a real effort to make this work because I want it to suffice for me.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Brad, is it possible to mow at one notch higher than you're doing now during the high growth rate season?

I don't have Bermuda grass so it may act differently, but with my northern lawn I notice a dramatic reduction in the load on the mower as well as far less clippings collected when cutting at a higher height, same mowing frequency of twice per week (I'm bagging clippings right now).

Might be worth a shot?
Photo of Brad Carey

Brad Carey

It's not recommended to go any higher but I suppose the reality of another 0.5" might not be a big deal. It's worth a shot during this period where I'm trying to make this work for me. I think I'll try my "razor blade" cut next to see what that does for me, then I'll try level 3.

I want to hear more about the HL blade as some reviews state that it helps with this problem. I need some of you all to get your hands on this blade and report back ;)
Photo of Brad Carey

Brad Carey

My razor blade cut wasn't really any better. I had grass all over the cut path, so bad that I needed three passes to completely clear the lawn of clippings. Three!

I've since done a cut with position 3 (from 2) and that didn't leave any clippings....however there wasn't that much growth needing to be mowed. I'll be curious how it goes over the next couple of weeks as 2.5" becomes the new base and things thicken up somewhat at that height. I definitely don't want to go any higher as it's already starting to be higher than I like.
Photo of rob shoaf

rob shoaf

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I received the 20 in. brushless model mower two weeks ago and have cut three times so far.  Pretty disappointed with the amount of uncut grass left behind.  Have tried the highest setting and down up to two settings and no discernable difference.  I called EGO customer support and after waiting a while was forced to leave a message.  Never got a call back.  I really want this mower to work out as I like the idea of electric for my smaller yard but quite frustrated.  The mower does not seem to bog at all while cutting so I'm thinking the blade rotational speed is just fast enough.  I have tried walking slower and such and does not help much at all. 
Photo of Amber F.

• 68,016 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Rob! Thank you for sharing your experience with the EGO community. We want to help and one of our service team members will be contacting you directly today. We apologize for any inconvenience. 
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,068 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
One item comes to mind -- the high lift blade. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Rob - what kind of grass?
have you sharpened the blade ?
Photo of rob shoaf

rob shoaf

Thanks for question.  It's Kentucky Blue and no, but the blade is new and only has about 20 min of cutting on it. 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,200 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ego's blades still benefit greatly from being sharpened, even when they're new.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I have blue and fescue and get a pretty good cut. So, that should not be the issue unless your lawn is extremely thick - there have been a few complaints on that front.

Although the blade is new, they don't seem to come very sharp from the factory.  You might want to sharpen the blade and see if things improve.  Others have reported great improvement from doing so.

Also an overlap of the wheel marks seems to help.  If your grass tend to be on the left side, then a counter clockwise cutting pattern with an overlap of the wheel tracks can also be a big help in getting improved results.
Photo of rob shoaf

rob shoaf

will try sharpening.  Thanks Ken and szwoopp
Photo of Amber F.

• 68,016 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Rob, were you able to resolve the issue on your own? Our team has tried contacting you via phone and email, but has not heard back.
Photo of Fred Clarke

Fred Clarke

• 838 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
21 inch self propelled mower set at #3. Very poor cutting and leaves a ridge on right side following wheel rut. Tried sharpening though mower is new. What I did do was put another blade on from an old mower. Wow my lawn was beautiful. Worked so well BUT cut 7.5amp battery run time to 20 minutes and I don't use self propelled feature. So I imagine designers had to sacrifice a good blade for battery and motor life. Very disappointed.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,620 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Fred - which old mower blade did you use? Model # or picture? Just curious.

Mike
Photo of Fred Clarke

Fred Clarke

• 838 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Mike, I  can't tell you. I don't know. I have owned many lawnmowers and I don't throw anything away. It's mute however because its extra weight and resistance puts to much load on the Battery (motor). As I said I suspect Ego knows about this but cannot provide a blade that works without ruining the motor.
Photo of Tim Wieland

Tim Wieland

I have tried really, really hard to love this mower (21" SP), and I do love everything about it except for the mulching capability.  Midwest KBG / Fescue mix, always cut at 3.5" this time of year with Honda twin blade mower and no problems with clumping or noticeable clippings.  I've tried a new blade (sharpened to the extreme), and also experimented with a twin blade setup on the EGO, but gave up trying to get a mulch cut similar to my Honda gas mower.  So back to Home Depot it goes - I have the EGO string trimmer and blower, and absolutely love them both, and am contemplating purchasing the snow blower.  Unfortunately I can't go 100% electric as the mower just doesn't perform like I need it to.
(Edited)
Photo of Mick Del Greco

Mick Del Greco

• 60 Points
I purchased the 21SP mower 2 months ago.. I love except for the streaks it's leaving. My gas mower used to cut so evenly that I do not want to deal with this uneven cutting. Does anyone have experience with a better battery self propelled mower other than this EGO??
Photo of jax roebke

jax roebke

• 60 Points
A month ago I purchased the electric selfpropelled kobalt mower. It ALWAYS leaves rows of uncut grass. I've tried cutting it on all different settings. It doesn't matter if the grass is 5 inches or 2 inches long, it always misses some. I've tried to sharpen the blade and it doesn't help. The people at Lowe's told me I need to cut tall grass on the lowest setting or else I would miss some. Lowe's told me the battery would last about 45min. I can't use my mower for more than 30min without the fully charged battery beeping at me and dying. AND I even quit using the selfpropelled feature to try to get an extra 5 minutes out of the battery! I love how easy the mower is to start and how light weight it is, but I keep having to resort back to my craftsmen gas powered mower to get the job done. Lowe's won't let me return it now. Huge waste of money and time! Email me if this can be fixed lit.tal.ma1@gmail.com.
Photo of Gerald Maxwell

Gerald Maxwell

• 60 Points
I have had this same problem for 2 years. Used different blades, different cutting heights, nothing helps.  I had an unrelated problem, wouldn't start and had to send in for repairs.  After 8 weeks they sent it back and said there was nothing wrong.  Went to pick up at Home Depot and it wouldn't start.  Manager gave me a new machine. Starts fine but it also cuts terrible.  Must be poor deck design and EGO offers no resolution.  I purchased a Greenworks machine to use while the Ego was in for repairs and it cuts great. I have other Ego machines, weedeater and blower, and they work great. Really disappointed they Ego won't admit there is a problem let alone offer a fix.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 2,294 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
What problem did you have cutting with EGO that you don’t with Greenworks?
Photo of Lawrence Vea

Lawrence Vea

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
My Ego 21" self-propelled does not seem to do a very good job with the grass catcher on.  Just does not seem like there is enough power to really throw the cut grass into the catcher?  Solutions or just wasted $850 for an electric mower because I am concerned about the environment?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Just making sure you have the door opened and the bag installed properly as shown.

Beyond that, Ego sells a High Lift Blade which creates more lift to get better results when bagging.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-Lawn-Mower-High-Lift-Blade-AB2101/301230960

https://www.amazon.com/EGO-Power-AB2101-LM2100SP-LM2102SP/dp/B01N39KRRM

Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Did you take the plug out, I forgot to do the the first time I used it
Photo of Lawrence Vea

Lawrence Vea

The plug?
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

There is a mulching plug that comes inside the back part we’re you put the bag on
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

The mulching insert

Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Pull up the back shoot and there should be a handle, you just pull it out. After that should fill up your bag no problem, and if you want to mulch just put the plug back in.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Nice szwoopp
Photo of Lawrence Vea

Lawrence Vea

Yes, removed that when I first got it so that is not the problem