Mower not cutting well again after I’ve sharpen it

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Solved
I’ m bummed about this mower, I’m really loving it, but I’m still having issues with it not cutting the grass well. I’ve sharped it every other time I mow, got another blade to easily replace a dull one, and still not cutting it well. Also not sounding right all of a sudden, I checked the blade it seems snug, I use a torque wrench to the suggested setting from the manual. Use it at 4 hight 1/3 cut on grass never use on wet grass and clean under side.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
  • sad

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,376 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Are you sure you installed the blade in the correct direction? Perhaps it's on upside down.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,174 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Assuming William's suggestion isn't the issue, I found slowing down a bit gives the best cut and mulch. Also, not sure what cutting pattern you use, but back and forth across the yard works better than going round in circles.
Photo of Larry

Larry

• 178 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I haven't purchased an Ego mower yet, still wondering about whether the quality of the cut is acceptable or not.  It has been mentioned in a video in here (don't have the the link, sorry) that the front of the mower is so light that you have to kind of push up on the handle a bit while mowing, to make sure that the front wheels stay in good contact with the ground.    Is that anybody else's experience, other than the person who made that video?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 66,382 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I find it helps. It really takes little to no effort to hold the handlebars in a way that upward pressure (direction?) is applied to the handlebars. You're not trying to force the front down, just keep it from wanting to rise up. 
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

I haven't heard or tried this, I think the cut is fine. However, I am not obsessive about grass, maintaining a putting green for a lawn, or in a turf war with the neighbors. It's a lawn mower. It makes the grass shorter, and it looks nicer when I'm done. Out of all the mowers we've owned, from rotaries to riders, this one is fun to use.
(Edited)

William E Hanson

Oregon Mike, I don't see mine doing that. Maybe the handle height I use, speed of SP or whatever makes the difference. Mine stays perfectly level as I mow and I get perfectly defined stripes in my lawn.
Photo of Larry

Larry

Thanks, fellow Oregonian Mike (Hood River here)!   Appreciate the advice.   Didn't want to get too far off from Mattew's original question, but perhaps it's one more thing to consider.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 66,382 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Also, please understand that I find my cut perfectly acceptable even if I don't think about keeping the nose down. It's just that little bit better when I do. Frankly these mowers work best when pulling them, but no one wants to do that for an entire lawn.

William E Hanson

Oregon Mike, ironic you would say that, but out of habit and to get a perfect cut, I always push/pull over same line and get perfect stripes. It's not a big deal since I have an 1/8 acre lot that I can mow this way in 10 minutes.

William E Hanson

Larry, mine is the 21" self-propelled with 7 5 Ah battery and throughly satisfied with everything. I typically catch the grass when it's lush and switch to mulch late Summer. Previously had a Black and Decker 40v SP that was also excellent; gave that to son-in-law because I wanted the EGO. Because I was so satisfied, I bought many other EGO tools and also loving them. All in all, suppose there are many more happy owners, who doesn't post their praise, but unhappy ones certainly does. Not discounting their issues, but statistically, this is what we see on forums.
Photo of Larry

Larry

Agreed, forums tend to have more posts from people with product problems, than people who are satisfied with their purchase.    I don't have a problem with putting slight upward pressure on the handle; just wondering if that's other people's experience, and if it might help other people's comments about cut quality.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Yea I just check this side to grass
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Also I go just under the medium speed
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

try doing a couple passes on slow, see if that helps. Also, you might try taking a blade to your hardware store for a sharpening to compare with the edge you are putting on. If your grinder or sharpener is dull, you could be taking the edge off. Especially if you are sharping every mow. You might have drifted off the optimim angle.
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 66,318 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I agree with slow. I don't have an SP model but I do tend to mow at a leisurely pace. I think it helps.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 3,862 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I'm sure you guys are talking about the Allyn Hane (aka Lawn Care Nut) review where the EGO kinda floats over the grass resulting in an uneven cut. The part about cut quality and what he does starts around 12 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSZw6IjUNJs&t=924s

Photo of Matthew

Matthew

When True Green tells me I need to cut with a sharper blade I started researching what they meant by that. I found that if your mower is leaving tear ends in the grass you need to sharpen the blade. All I care about is not causing my grass to die because of tears. When I have a chance when it is light outside I’ll take a picture. I am not obsessive about the lawn looking like a putting green either. I voiced this concern because I like the EGO mower and wanted to see any suggestions, not discounting my concern that it is because I am obsessed and want it to be like a putting green.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Oh Mathew, That is not what I meant at all! I was responding to Larry who asked about cut quality. I put my response in the wrong place and must have moved it after you saw it! I use that disclaimer because there are folks who come on who are obsessive about a blade out of place. So when I offer my opinion, I try to be clear I have a relatively relaxed idea of what a lawn mower should do. I am so sorry you thought I was taking a swipe at you. Nothing could be further from what I meant. I want the mower to work for you and am truly trying to help by giving you suggestions based on my own experience, things I found helped fine tune my cut. Please accept my apology for the misunderstanding.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

I am trying to add at the beginning there "I am so sorry," but the update isn't taking.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Thank you Prairiedog, for your apology I appreciate that, and thank you for your suggestion I want this mower to work for me I think it’s awesome but concerned about the tears in the grass. I’m still under the 90 day, but again I really like the EGO.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

smile, thanks Mathew. fwiw, I'm not sure what type of turf you have so maybe it is an issue. But for regular old bluegrass/fescue lawn mixes, I don't think the grass will die from tearing the top of the blades. my understanding is tearing the crown at the soil is the issue. But that only happens if you go too short (our friends with the putting greens, wink.) But it sounds like you are in no danger of doing that. 4 is optimum for me. I guess torn blades might look a bit brown at the tip individually, but it is not really visible in the overall sea of green. At least not that I noticed, and I went the whole first summer w/o sharpening ours cause I just plum didn't think of it, lol. Basically the last few cuts were with a butter knife for a blade, face palm.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Lol it’s fescue and I cut at 4, good to hear I’m still new to this lawn stuff. I just don’t want to kill it, thanks for everything and everyone’s suggestions :-)
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 3,862 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

The other video by Allyn Hane is this one where he lifts up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPGK-WW9Luc&t=644s
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Sounds good I’ll take the blade to a hardware store and check, I have 2 blades so that won’t be a problem.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Still concerned about the sound all of a sudden, I guess I can take it to HD have them look at it, hopefully something easy that I did or did not do when putting the blade back on.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Oh, on that note, may still be blade related. a dull or mis-angled blade makes the motor work harder (and expends the batt faster.) Hopefully retrimming the blade will also take care of the sound issue. Are you balancing the blade on a pencil each time you sharpen? just a few grains of extra weight on one side can affect the rotation at those high speeds and cause vibration and odd noises.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Yea I just sharpened the mower when I heard that sound. I got a blade sharpening kit at HD and it came with a blade balancer it showed that it was equal but I’m wondering if I sharpened it wrong. Next day off I’m going to take your Suggestion and take it to hardware store and ask them or should I just take it to HD and ask them?
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

I've only used the guys at my neighborhood Ace. I figure they do it so much, they know what they are doing, and we know where they live if they don't, lol. I never thought about HD for more than selling stuff, not so much servicing, at least around here. I hope other folks have tried HD and will chime in?
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Just an update on my problem. I took it to HD today and they looked it over with me, found the problem and so far looks like everything is good to go. The blade is sharpened just fine the guy said, but when I put the blade back on, evidently the when I put the blade back on the white part behind it cane loose and made it to where I could not set the washer in the flat part. So I just need to make sure I snug everything back so I can get the washers flat part the fit. Thank you all for your suggestions. Also mowed at the slowest speed, took forever but got to dark to really see the cut but looked pretty good from what I could tell.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 100,944 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You did use the mower headlights ?  they are a great help when it gets dark.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,604 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Those lights are amazing.  I've only used them once or twice, but they are great on a hot day, when mowing in the sun is miserable.  They definitely allowed me to see well enough to mow properly.
(Edited)
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

I haven’t used them yet but one of many reasons I chose EGO
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,360 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for updating us on what you found out. It might help people in the future who are having a similar problem!
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Of course , that’s why I did. Simple problem that can happen with a simple fix if you know about it. :-). Going on the slowest setting takes forever it seems, but if it helps the cut I’m all about it. Just need to experiment what works the best I think go from slowest and work my why up and see what works best.

Thank you all again, I would not have thought of what you all suggested. I’m much happier now love this mower, look forward to getting more EGO products.

William E Hanson

Matthew, thanks for the update and glad you got to the bottom with a positive.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Thanks William I am so happy easy little fix, I think all my worries are gone. HD and CS we can work it out love this mower.
Photo of Brad Christie

Brad Christie

• 2,568 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
FWIW, thinking im out growing the mower. Have a thick KBG and more dense it gets, higher likely hood of the common line of clumping while mulching (and I'm also always mulching, why waste all those nutrients?). Mow 2x a week at 3-3.5", never more than a 1/3 a blade haircut. Should be perfect conditions where clumping should be non issue--but it is.

Have little faith the steel deck is significant enough to improve things. Also, 3 seasons in, noticing my 7.5aH battery isn't finishing the job. (Used to power a mow, trim and blow cleanup, but now it's dead 2/3 into mowing alone). [Store at 1/2 power in climate controlled env over winter, should be little reason for that much degradation]

I love the handheld tools, but if I purchase something else it's probably going to be one of those Roomba meets Ego kinda devices. For a few extra bucks by lawncare will just be trimming/edging/weeding.