Mower LED's work quite well!

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)

Ok, it's only June 8th and temps in the mid 90's.  This sucks.  So yesterday I decided to try out the lights on my pitch black yard.  Wow.  It must have looked funny to any neighbors.  If your lawn is grown enough so you can see the "strips", the lights work exceptionally well, and have literally no drain on the battery.  If you have a lawn that doesn't have anything that might damage you mower if you run over it, try out the lights.

Even the blower on low is so quiet that I got my cleanup work done at 9:30 in the evening  :)

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I finished mine around 9 last night by headlight (the iPhone pics don't really show that this is the very last of twilight):

The string trimmer is also whisper quiet at lower speeds—if it got too loud the neighbor's dogs started howling.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

You were one of the first to post pictures of you doing that.  I see you live in a development.  I bet they would raise cain if you tried to do that with a gas mower!  I did the same with my trimmer.  slow speed is silent!  I'm envious of your manicured lawn.  Look at those edges too.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Getting those edges with my gas-powered bladed edger is a real pain—that bladed edger I'm sure Ego is working hard to develop can't come soon enough!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

But, but, but David.  You have pattern baldness in that small patch where I see brown.  I've had luck with that Scott's quick grow stuff (lawn rogaine).
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I had the big walk behind McClane edger.  It was cumbersome as hell.  Got impossible to start after two years, and wouldn't stay running.  But it did a mean edge.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
My 15" string trimmer is much louder (probably 2-3x louder) now that I ran out of the factory line and installed a more generic line. The new stuff is sort of hexagon shaped in section. It sure does make a lot of noise... based on how loud it is I'd have to assume the new string is not as aerodynamic as the twisted Ego sting design.

On my small lot I'm not sure it really has much of an impact with regards to run time, but I wonder what the total impact is and whether it would make a significant difference to someone with a larger lot?

Regarding headlights, yes it's a nice option to have and they do work surprisingly well. I'd be interested in seeing a few "wall shots" that show how the headlights of the 20" and 21" mowers compare. You have to understand I'm a geek and have a thing for automotive lighting. People who upgrade their headlights do wall shots to demonstrate lighting output/improvement, like this:

Now if only I knew someone with both 20"'and 21" mowers and a camera who could point them at the same wall at the same distance at the same time in low light to compare them... ;-D
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

On a car, I don't like those new white light bulbs.  They make it VERY hard to see in fog.  The yellow penetrates better.

You asked the right question about the lights.  I'll pull out both mowers and do a few pics to show the difference.  My guess is that they are about identical. 

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,768 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sweet! Can't wait! :-)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

So you're saying we need yellow fog lights with HID high beams in the next generation? What about LED running lights?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

You guys.  You turned a sweet little post into something interesting.  Now I have to do more stuff and follow this. 

How nice it would be to have a 12V out jack on the mower. 

Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

• 1,872 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I used the headlights once last year when I was determined to finish a section of grass that particular night.  I had almost forgotten it had headlights until then.  I was amazed by how well the headlights lit things up.
Photo of rwik sengupta

rwik sengupta

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Integrated speakers that can stream Spotify.
Photo of John S

John S

• 692 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I didn't factor the headlights feature in my LM2101 purchase decision. Now that I have the mower boy is that a great feature! If I need to start cutting later in the evening I have confidence knowing I can finish in the dark! It's a great feature. It's kind of like when you buy a car that has a feature you don't want. Affter using it then it becomes a necessity with future car purchases.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
All part of Ego's evil plan... to get you hooked on frivolous features you never knew you needed and BAM, you're completely dependent on their products and there's no going back! Muhuhuhaha!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Actually Blue, probably thanks to the people on this forum giving great ideas, for free.  :)  Glad the reps are active on this forum, we know everything is getting read.

12VDC out on mower.  hint hint.

Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Sorry about this SCDC...

Doesn't seem to far fetched to get a step down transformer and attach it with a bracket. I'm sure a jack to tap into the panel of the mower to get the 56-Volt input.... And whatever jack you want for your

lights /
horn & horn song thingies /
radio /
fan /
aftermarket crazy flashy lights for custom cars (to show off) /

Maybe Radio Shack or Fry's Electronics could be tapped for the right parts?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Aren't the internal connections coated for water resistance? You'd want to waterproof wherever you tap into for power when done. And a seal for the port when not in use.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

You didn't hijack this.  I've thought about doing this, but get a bit out of sync with the 56VDC.  I guess if it was low amp devices, it could be done relatively cheap?  I just don't know enough about the electronics to do this.  But you've got my interest here!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

David,

Definitely would want to waterproof the connection with epoxy and rubber gaskets.  But this is something of great interest to me. Looks like to others as well.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I'm gonna put green "neons" under my mower like all the kids were doing with their cars in the 90's!!!
Photo of Bev Morgan

Bev Morgan

• 652 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Well, now I have to try this, I often wait until late in the day to do my front yard so it will be shaded. Now I can even wait a little longer until it has cooled down even more. Thanks guys!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,358 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi there Bev.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I didn't expect them to illuminate so well being so close to the ground.  It's not a spot light, but they work really well for push mower headlights.  Beats wearing a headlamp. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Since the Ego mowers don't have reverse lights, I usually wear a headlamp so I can see what's going on around me if it's really dark out.

Hey, don't judge... my wife already does! :-)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,032 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Good idea if it's pitch black.

All the more reason for running lights to light 360 degrees!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,358 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Hey Blue, do you cut with this guy holding your cooler?  Nice headlamp.

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Blue, you will have to wait till the weekend.  I had to ponder watching Zootopia with my daughter or go outside in the heat and do a headlight comparison.   Well, you know the answer.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I can't believe what I'm reading... I feel so small!

No problem man, enjoy your evening! There are more important things in life than mowers with frickin headlights on them!

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

And you just posted two pictures from my favorite movie gold member. I love you man
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hey Blue, I have 4 of these from years ago that we use when hiking or at the beach.  Man they are bright and the battery goes for about 24 hours on high.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That's a pretty elaborate looking piece of kit! Does it use a remote battery pack?

My BD is a little more basic than that:

I don't remember the specs but on the spot light mode it's plenty bright, 200Lm if I remember right? Runs on 4 AAA batteries (I use Eneloops, luv-em!), and has a dimming function for both the spot and flood modes.

If I have one criticism it's that the spot light is a little too focused for most things that don't require viewing at a distance. I would prefer if it had a little broader beam for general work and looking at the ground nearby, but that is certainly a trade off since it works very well for looking down a narrow trail or a path through the woods.

Maybe if the flood function was just a little more focused... as it is, in flood mode there's not enough light to properly see what you're doing when standing up. Works good for when you're seated or looking at something you're holding in your hands.

If Ego would put 360 lighting on the mower we wouldn't have to worry about any of these trivial details! :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Here is the battery pack.  At the time I bought these, there wasn't anything better, used by FEMA and Emergency folks.  They still hold their own, especially with run time at brightest setting.

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I was thinking about strapping one of these on top to see how the flood looks:
https://coastportland.com/product/hp7r/

I think it should be pretty impressive visibility at night based on how bright it seems every time I've used it and the pictures posted with online reviews:

It goes for 7 hours on high using a battle pack the size of 3 AAAs. So it seems like even some very high output lights shouldn't be a significant power drain if Ego incorporated some in a future model.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I love the look of a bright "flood" of light.  It's almost a turn on.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Before:

After:

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

DC, you gotta get that flashlight mounted up a little higher! By the looks of things you've got a big shadow in front of the mower.

On the bright side (hehe), man that's a lot of light! :-)
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Hey David... Thanks for showing this! I have a question...

Bright areas in a dark surrounding look different from reality when seeing it in a photograph due to exposure balancing of the camera. I think cameras balance for 18% grey in the 'scene." close to that anyway.

So just curious if the photograph is much different than what is actually seen (at least the grass area in front of the mower and grass area further away) ?

I think blue's suggestion would help with that too.

Thanks
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

The headlights of the mower are still on, so the shadow at the bottom of the fence should give a pretty good indication of the difference in brightness between the two.

If I were actually mowing at night I would like to mount the light to the middle cross bar on the handle, but the handle at the base was the only place flat enough for the light's holster to clip on. Good enough to get a pretty good idea how much difference it could make in night mowing visibility.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Thanks... But I see your point on how much more total light being produced. It makes sense.

I think I left out a bit of key info.... I haven't mowed at night or at all with my Ego as I have permanent knee injuries (and multiple other health issues). I supervise my boys doing it during the day when we visit my house (I don't have them at the house at night as our apartment is so far away).

Still curious (with the above in mind) if the photograph shows what it actually looks like at night (with or without the additional light) ?

Thanks