Mower gets to maximum rpm, then dies????

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Solved
The initial startup, gets up to speed, then dies. Over and over again
Photo of Larry Suggs

Larry Suggs

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,402 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Check that the handles are at maximum extension, and that they are locked out correctly.  Also, if you PULL vs. PUSH the mower, does the problem still occur?
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,274 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agreed - these are good steps in troubleshooting the handle clips.  If it cuts fine when pulled but shuts off when pushed, the handle clips may not be holding correctly.
(Edited)
Photo of Larry Suggs

Larry Suggs

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
When I start to push the mower, it shuts off completely
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That's a good indication the handle clips are at fault. If the mower cuts fine when bein pulled vs pushed, give Customer Service a call and they'll get you fixed up.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,132 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Clips clips clips. Reset them
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,402 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

What model (20" or 21"), and how old?  If it's an older 20", there is a good chance you have the older style clamps.  Here is a thread with the details of the differences between the old and new clamps:

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/20-mower-handle-locking-clamp-v2-upgrade-review

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,716 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Larry, we’re sorry to hear this! Rest assured, that is not what we consider “normal” performance. Please call 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) so that we can sort this out.
Photo of Jahn D

Jahn D

• 118 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Opened a case regarding this last week, but no response, so trying this instead...
I'm having the exact same symptoms (mower starts, runs up to full rpm, then dies, without moving it, or doing anything else).
While EGO's warranty service is great, I live in FL, and with the rain & heat, I NEED to mow my lawn (at least) 1X/week, sometimes 2X/week, & the 4-6 weeks turn-around for repairs is not feasible. Looking for options here, detailed instructions on how to fix the issue myself? ANY local repair shops? Need a quick response please!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,132 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The clamps are locked correct?

Does it happen when you push it or just full rpm then dies?
If so, it may be the rpm sensing circuit.

What Mower do you have? 21" sp, 21" non sp, 20" or the steel deck one?
Photo of Jahn D

Jahn D

• 118 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Just got off the phone with EGO Power+ Customer Service Rep "Paisley", and (as always) EGO is agreeing to take care of the issue. 
I cannot state enough what amazing products EGO creates, the service-minded attitude its employees have, and what a refreshing feeling it is to see a company like EGO back its products like it does. 
Ok, enough of that, lol!
To answer your question, 21" non-sp, plastic deck. Yes, both arms fully extended, clips engaged/locked, fully charged battery (green LED), key "in". 
The mower fires right up, I don't move it at all, and you can hear it getting up to speed, but as soon as it reaches top RPM, it promptly dies, LED still shows green.
Being engineering-minded (to me) it appears to be a motor over-speed relay (or like you said; "...rpm sensing circuit.", cutting out, or something like that, but that's just my guess as well.
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I had this problem I am out of warranty so I pulled it apart. My problem was caused by the unit that sits on top of the motor had a screw break and the other three came loose. I believe this holds some sensors when the motor started it rattled the sensors so the motor shut down. To access this was easy. I removed the 6 screws that hold the battery unit into the top of the mower with this out you have limited access to the motor but you will be able to see if the unit on top of the motor is secure. If loose secure it, reassemble and try starting. Worked for me. You can also release the motor to give you a bit more room to move by taking the 3 bolts out that hold it. These are on the underside of the mower. If this works for you please repost as I see there are a few similar problems in these forums.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Hi Dave, which mower do you have?  It would be GREAT to see some pictures if you have them!