Mower cuts at differerent height when using self propelled

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Power Plus 21" self propelled mower uneven cutting

I have noticed that my mower tends to cut at different heights, dependent on if I am using the self propelled function.  My back yard has a slight grade to it.  When I'm going downhill, I don't use the SP, but do use it coming back up the slope.  I don't feel like it is an uneven blade, as the height is uniform for each pass I'm making.  After I am done cutting, I can really see a difference in the height of each pass I make.  Any thoughts???
Photo of Neal

Neal

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tim Krehbiel

Tim Krehbiel

• 992 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I suspect the difference is due to the direction the mower is going and the slope of the yard, and not due to the self propelled function.

Try a quick (and perhaps tiring) experiment-  Next time you mow, go side-to-side on the hill, instead of up-down the hill.  Only use the self-propelled function when going right, and push the mower going left.  Is the height difference still there? If not, then it's not the SP function causing problems.   

Next test- don't use the SP function at all. Push the mower UP the hill, as well as down.  Is the the height difference still there?  If yes, then it's just due to the slope of the hill and the way the grass lays down after you pass over it.  

If the results of these tests show it IS the SP function causing height differences, then I would flip the mower over and check for loose bolts on the drive wheels.  I haven't heard of it happening, but I suppose it's possible the torque from the drive wheels is affecting the rear ride height if the mechanism isn't secured properly..  
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,554 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Could be issue with the lift mechanism.
Some have reported issue with the clevis pin falling out.
While on a hard flat surface...does the mower deck sit level with the ground?
Photo of Raghu

Raghu

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This is exactly the issue I am facing in my lawn as well which has a incline. There is a different cutting height each time I am making a pass, so the lawn is looking tiered at this point.
Possibly due to the Self Propel function and that the dome is made out of plastic, there is certain lift in the height when using Self-Propel on incline lawns. I will check the Drive Wheels issue, but did anyone else have the same issue and is there a possible fix for it?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,892 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I've had a bit of issue with cutting height variation too, but it seems like the opposite of the problem being described here. At least for me, self propel has been the solution to a problem I have when I'm not using self propel.

Any time I do not use self propel, the grass cuts noticeably lower than when I do use the self propel, especially when first starting from a stop. The only thing I have been able to figure is that because I am 6'5" and have the handle on the highest setting, that the angle is actually pushing the back of the mower down when I push to go forward. I noticed it on my 20" as well, but it is much worse on my 21", possibly due to the added weight.

The only solution I have found is to always use self propel. I feel really lazy using self propel to move the mower a few feet forward, like when cutting around a bush, but otherwise I end up cutting the grass in that area maybe 1/4" shorter.
Photo of Stephen Shebes

Stephen Shebes

• 258 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree with your observation. I have a very thick spongy St Augustine lawn and I find when I start pushing without the self propel I am actually pushing DOWN on the mower to get it to move and because the grass is so thick I end up putting a nice circle into the lawn. It's not a consistent change in height, it just happens at the "start " of my row, or when I may stop midway along a pass for a Gatorade break. When I restart the mower I have to put the SP at full to avoid digging in to the grass. Never happened with my gas Honda..
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Perhaps the gas mowers with their extra weight are already compressed down into the lawn further than the lighter Ego, reducing the effect? Just throwing it out there... I have not experienced anything like this.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,144 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Its because your old mower didnt have a single height adjustment. This feature allows the mower to rock just a little bit, enough to do what you are saying. To fix this.. do this

Do not push on the top of the handle. Instead, push on the vertical parts of the handle. Also rotate handle all the way back, dont mow in the 2nd handle height position. This will more force on the back of the mower and cause it to pivot/rock less.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

If this was the case, you would be able to check for it by pushing down on the front or back of the mower while on a flat surface, no? Perhaps there's excessive play in the height adjustment on some mowers?
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

The width of the wheels and the light weight definitely sounds like the issue here. I don't see this on my mower as my grass is not the supportive (LOL).
Ego might need to come out with a weight kit. Strap on some barbell weights or fashion some type of wheel weights using barbell weights of the same size. Bet that would fix the issue!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Or just make an all-wheel-drive model with dual 7.5Ah batteries, a radio, etc. You know, the Rodney Dangerfield golf bag edition:

That would weigh it down a little! :-)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,892 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
(Edited)
Photo of SR

SR

• 344 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I was just getting on to post about this issue and saw this post near the top. I have the same issue. I'm also about 6'4". I've seen this happen to varying degrees several times now. And it does appear it has something to do with propel on/off. It was off when I was going "up" the picture, which has a slight downward slope towards the end, but is fairly flat at the start. It scalped more, and this matches what David is saying. Why is this happening? This certainly seems like a defect and yet another one of the quirks you have to deal with. The reason I was not using propel is to help with the other major issue, lack of mulching, and pushing very slowly so it cuts the blades a little more. What a mess...

That being said, I have to agree with others that I'm very surprised at the number of glowing reviews this mower has gotten. There seem to be a number of issues that are not one-offs, and they have to do with the core function of getting a quality cut. I'll keep trying to like this thing for its pros but it's getting harder...On top of that, I still haven't received the side chute that I asked for when registering.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Wow, a picture is worth a thousand words!
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,552 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
What position are you mowing at? Almost looks like something is loose with the back wheels. I just went out to my garage and checked for play in my wheels in position three and they are rock steady.
Photo of SR

SR

• 344 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
2. I had been using 3 and didn't notice this. But at 3, I tended to use self propel more consistently.
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 402 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have a hill for a front yard. I mow a different direction every time I mow. I have this problem with my mower as well. AFTER SEEING THIS SAME EXACT THING HAPPENING TO OTHER PEOPLE HERE IN THE FORUM IT HAS TO BE A DESIGN PROBLEM OR DEFECT! 
I have uploaded a video to youtube that is showing my problem as well and what is actually happening with the height control. This should NOT be happening, obviously when other peoples pictures look just like mine! I have used the mower without the self propel and it cuts normal and level. If I try to use the self propel every time it still gets wavy lines as the mower floats up and then down as it pulls itself along. This is described in my youtube description as well. 
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

Interesting find.
I have a 21" and will definitely test that this weekend when I hopefully mow for the last time. I looked at a schematic that someone posted of the mower and looks like the motor assembly could have a bad fit between the mounting bracket to the mower or there is play in the arm that raises and lowers the wheels.
(blue highlighted)

Photo of Exrace

Exrace

I observed this behavior in my mower this past Saturday.
Without taking things apart I concluded the "play" we see here is with the lifting mechanism when the torque of the drive motor lifts the assembly against the slack in the adjustment arm and pins. The mower deck is not the issue here but the arms and pins in the lift arms.
Is this design flaw fixable? Not with using OEM parts but maybe retrofitting some tighter fitting attachment pins. Something to look at over the winter. :)

(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Perhaps some sort of spring to help hold the drive wheels up against the drive torque?
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 18,646 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Mine also raises the rear when it is self-propelled.  Nice catch.  The whole machine is too flexible, when compared to other mowers, including those with plastic decks such as the older Honda Harmony that used a deck material they dubbed "Xenoy".   I don't notice uneven mowing on my flat lawn except in an area with what I think is Bermuda.  In that area it is prone to scalping but I think that's the nature of that type of grass (and I'm guessing that it is Bermuda, keep in mind).  IIRC, that part of my lawn scalped easily with my previous mowers also.
Photo of HouseApe

HouseApe

• 694 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
subscribed...this was next on my EGO shopping list, but now not till they fix that.
Photo of HouseApe

HouseApe

• 694 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'm very surprised there has been no official posts from EGO for the three months this thread has been open.
We have photos and videos describing the issues
Photo of Michael

Michael

That's probably because they have realized that there is a design problem that would involve a recall on all the self proppelled mowers. So they will just redesign it and put a "new" model out and only deal with the people that call and complain about their mowers....
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I can understand why, when the leading edge of the blade is lower than the trailing edge, that the mower scalps the grass.  What I don't understand is why, as shown in the photos, that adjacent passes aren't scalped in the same manner.  What's different between those passes?
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

One pass the SP is engaged...the other it is not.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

ah.  thx
Photo of Michael

Michael

It's rasing the height of cut with the self propel engaged. If you watch closely it's rasing the whole mower not just the rear. It's just more apparent in the rear because that's what the drive system is connected too. The problem lies in where the lift mechanism attaches to the body of the mower. The torque frome the drive system is causing fatigue on the mounts. The body of the mower is plastic where as the lift mechanism is metal. (From what I can tell from the outside) I cannot tear into this myself due to the risk of the warranty being voided. I haven't had time to call EGO support yet but since the season is at end I will soon. Now is the time to do it though because I'll probably have to send it off so they can look at it and I'll be out a mower for several weeks to a few months... I don't want them to just send me a new mower. It is quite apparent that I'm not the only one with a mower like this!!!
(Edited)
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

I didn't notice the front picking up on mine but will look closer next time I use the mower.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.