Can I use other brand's mower blades?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Can I use other brand blades for my mower? I want to use several different blades but EGO only offers one kind. Thanks.
Photo of Jeff Adam

Jeff Adam

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I've looked for other brands that would fit, but had no luck.  There is a blade I really like, but it is just a little too large.  I also believe EGO's blade is so light as to not punish the motor and battery to keep it up to speed.  For now, or until someone runs across one that works, stick with the EGO blade.
Photo of Denise C

Denise C

• 6,334 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Jeff! Thank you for your post and question. We do not recommend using other blades than the one that comes standard with our EGO mower. They are weighted to work more efficiently and effectively with our mower. Replacement blades are available for purchase online at homedepot.com, and by calling our EGO customer support team.
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

• 956 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Total nonsense. The standard blade is useless if you're collecting the grass in the hopper. There is virtually no vacuum. I replaced it with an all around blade from HD that had an airfoil and now the cut grass is properly sucked into the collector basket. The mower is also louder from the additional air being pulled in, not the motor which is pretty quiet. EGO touts how silent the mower is, sure if your blade does nothing, it sure is quiet. The replacement blade comes with a set of adapters to fit any mower out there, just have to pick the right one. The new blade is the same weight as the one that came with the unit, it's just bent to have an airfoil. Be sure to have a measurement of the standard blade with you when you buy the real thing. Perhaps EGO optimized the mower for recycling the grass in which case you don't need the vacuum. It also lets them quote a lower db noise.
Photo of Paul Henderson

Paul Henderson

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I also find this rediculus that my $600 mower won't suck up tiny leaves. Can you tell me which replacement blade you bought that worked?
Photo of Chris Chase

Chris Chase

• 822 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I bought a "universal" blade at HD that had the adapters. After a bit of work I did manage to get one to fit but it KILLED the battery. Didn't even get halfway through the lawn.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,636 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I'm guessing that despite it not weighing more than the Ego blade, perhaps it is pushing a lot more air; hence more of a drain on the battery?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That's most likely the case.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,566 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
What part number was that blade at HD?
Photo of Chris Chase

Chris Chase

I am pretty sure it is this one... Model 490-100-H090 http://www.homedepot.com/p/20-in-Univ... It wasn't a 100% exact fit with the adapters but I managed to press one in and got it tightened down good. Also note mower was much louder. I am thinking of picking up some baling belt at tractor supply and and cutting it at 1/2" around and riveting it to the bottom side of the deck to extend the decking to help with the mulching.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

Thanks for posting this. I have been sizing up some Honda dual blades to see if with some creative use of bushings to mount it securely. The belting sounds like a good idea. I have been playing around with some dense card board templates and that belting sounds like the perfect material . Using existing holes and some fasteners I have successfully mounted the templates that are easy to remove.
Photo of Chris Chase

Chris Chase

That blade lasted maybe 10 minutes before killing the battery. And I have the 7.5 one. I pulled it right off. Did your cardboard templates work at all? This belting is strong as I used it in a snow blower mod. Thinking of cutting it to 2in. wide and mounting in the deck so that the blade sits recessed. Today the mower left some clumps and the wild strands that is loves to miss. I really want to love this mower...but jesus
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

I am waiting for my grass to grow to give the latest update to my templates a test run. Right now I have the bottom half of the deck with about 3/4 inch over lap on the blade. I will upload a photo in the other thread "not mulching". I am thinking I can trim this back some along with adjusting the decks "coverage". Part of the problem I believe is the loss of velocity as the blade passes over the mulching plug location at the back of the deck.
(Edited)
Photo of James Granger

James Granger

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Looks like you stopped
Making the 20” replacement blades. Kind of makes our 20” mowers useless. One seller on Amazon has one for $69.98... not going to happen!
Photo of James Granger

James Granger

Looks like you stopped
Making the 20” replacement blades. Kind of makes our 20” mowers useless. One seller on Amazon has one for $69.98... not going to happen!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,780 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Um ego. You can't obsolete use only mower blades. And What about the 20" steel deck mower. That's a pretty recent release.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,906 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Looks like they are available at rcpw and on sale !
Photo of James Granger

James Granger

@Jacob champion: thanks for the info. Rcpw price is a few bucks more than the Home Depot price ( where they have been out of stock for some time). Odd and unfortunate.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
the HD image for blades is for 20".  do they have a 21" and is it a TRUE 21" as measured?   So lame that the "21" SP Ego is not only  NOT 21", but the interior of the deck is also not 21".  :(

How about some truth in advertising???
(Edited)
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Dave, our deck size is the 21" measurement, not the blade size. It is the industry standard. X” deck -.5” = the blade actual length. 
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

when i measure the INTERIOR of the deck, it's less than 21".  I have no idea what the industry standard is and neither did the Ego tech guy I spoke with a few days ago.  For all I know my old Honda MAY have had the same dimensions.  :)  It would be nice if the BLADE LENGTH was what determined the advertised size, as that's what's cutting the swath.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I think the real issue here is the lack of an industry standard. Ego certainly didn't decide they were going to make their deck/blade a little smaller than everyone else's and just hope no one would notice. That's kind of how your posts make it sound.

This question has been asked before, and Ego provided a very candid and thorough answer two years ago:

Actual cutting diameter of your unit?https://community.egopowerplus.com/eg...
"When researching the cordless market we noticed the industry standard was to round up to the nearest inch. That's precisely what we did. We are the closest in terms of percent to the whole number. Surprisingly, when looking at all other cordless brands in the market, there are some claiming to be at 19", but the blade only measures 17.5". There is another that claims to be 20", but only measures 18.7". Hope this helps shed some light onto the situation."

It wouldn't really be fair for Ego to have called the original mower a 19" rather than 20" when the blade is 2" longer than competing models claiming to be 19". Not sure if gas mowers have the same nominal sizing issue or not.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You know, not once when I've mowed my yard with my 20-inch Ego mower did I think that missing half-inch was adding to the amount of work I had to do.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

It takes 39 passes before half an inch adds up to a full 19.5" and requires an extra pass to make up the difference. So unless you have a Jacob-sized acreage to mow, the difference probably at most adds walking the length of your yard once.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

David, that isn't true.  If I have a yard that is small, but of a specific size that would be cut properly with x passes, but would require an EXTRA pass, if I was using a  mower whose blade was ANY shorter than my reference mower, than that is a substantial difference in passes.  It could be that just  five passes cuts my grass completely.  But if I switch to a mower than is slightly smaller, it MIGHT be that I have to make one additional pass. So let's not say that it takes 39 passes before an extra pass is required.

It's all about dividing the blade length into the width of the yard (or length), factoring in the amount of necessary overlap to get the grass evenly cut, and then determining if a mower with a cutting swath of "x" will divide into the width (or length) with "no remainder".   In that case, using a mower with a cutting swath of <x will result in having to make an extra pass.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

39 passes before MORE than one additional is needed (assuming no overlap, which is not exactly realistic). I assumed at some point before that you would need one additional pass. The point is that you need a really big area to appreciate a tiny difference in cutting width.

For example, I didn't save but one pass in my backyard going from the 20" to the 21".
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Dave ., I'm not sure about you, but I can't pilot my mower in straight lines with 0.5" accuracy.

I don't think anyone can argue that you're not technically correct, but I think most would agree that it's not a big deal.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I'm not that accurate either, but each time I mow my yard, I make the same number of passes, which is my point.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,958 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I tried my best to have a straight line when I cut, but using the "self-propelled" pretty much negate that effort.  The only time I can get close to a straight line, is when I paid a professional lawn care guy to cut my grass when I am out of town for 2 to 3 weeks.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I take pride in the  "angles" I use when I mow...looks so nice from my bedroom window first thing in the morning! I am well within .5 inches (lol) and always a perfect 90 degree angle alternating week to week. :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Try drinking AFTER mowing. Worked for me! :~/
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That's quite a claim, Ex. Pics with surveying equipment or I call BS! :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Well, if you have a steep hill to cut, I also am challenged to get straight lines for some reason with the self-propel, but am fine with manual push.  It's an odd thing!  And, Blue, I don't drink!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,900 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes david c. I want my extra half inch. Mowed 4 hours last night... ugh.. im so tired. So so tired. I need a double mower deck, or a robotic mower. Suprisingly my 20" is still cutting like a champ. I bet my brushes are Preeeety worn down.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Jacob, 

This summer is wearing me down.  I still use my 20" most of the time, because I just LOVE that mower.  But good lord I lose a lot of water weight each cut.  I have to watch my figure you know.

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,900 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
8 lbs down this summer. I cant get on here cuz i am mowing all the time. I need a bigger mower. Doesnt help that my yard has 0 flatness to it either.