mower blade increases speed?

• Question
  • Updated 4 days ago
  • Answered
I have the LM2102SP last night i noticed when cutting through thick grass my mower went into almost another speed?  it sounded like the fan spun faster for a few seconds until i got through a thick patch of grass,  is this normal?
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

• 920 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 10,202 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Yes; peak power technology kicks in as needed.
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

this model isnt advertised to have peak power technology like the newer Model # LM2142SP
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 17,276 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
i have a 3 year old 21SP.  it speeds up as necessary.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 87,200 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The 2100 line does have a "second gear" or high speed that will kick in when needed to maintain blade speed in taller thicker grass.  It will then drop back down to conserve battery when the conditions return to normal.

The Peak Power Technology refers to the programing used on the 2142 and the snow blower to maximize the power draw from using 2 batteries simultaneously.  I believe the 2142 also has a noticeable "gear shift", but I am not certain as I have not used one.

But the temporary increase in speed and the Peak Power Technology are 2 different things.
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

Thank you, good to know everything is working properly.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 87,160 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Anytime - that's why we are here
Photo of Lisa Buntin

Lisa Buntin

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have been having the exact same issue Matthew is having. It almost sounds like the mower is a plane taking  off. I called Ego, and they recommended that I bring it in for service. This could take several weeks, which would make all the weeds in the back yard grow to gargantuan size.. Based on what has been  discussed, do you think it is safe to continue to use, and slow pace when mowing higher, thick blades of grass? I could also use a weed whacker to tackle problem areas before mowing.
 Thank you for your feedback- greatly appreciated!

Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 8,136 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Lisa, it's normal to have that "take-off" sound in thick grass. In fact, the mower would do you no good if it didn't increase speed in thicker grass and decrease in speed in thinner grass. The sign of a problem with an EGO mower is if you never notice variability in speed of the blade. For instance if the mower is constantly in "take-off" mode and never decreases it's rotation speed then you likely have a problem.

My observation is during the wetter spring the mower's blade goes into high-speed more often but later in the hotter/dryer summer the mower rarely needs to kick in high-speed.