Can I use my string trimmer battery for the mower?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Can I use my trimmer battery for the mower? I see the trimmer battery is only 2.0A so I'm assuming it won't provide long enough power. Home depot is selling a returned( without the battery) unused mower. Originally priced at $499 they are asking $299 but the damn battery cost about $200 bucks so not a good deal to me. Thanks
Photo of beau

beau

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,200 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
All of Ego's tools and chargers are interchangeable, but you're right, the Ah rating reflects how long a charge lasts. The 2.0 Ah battery would only give you about 20 minutes of runtime in the mower. (I do use my trimmer battery from time to time to trim part of my front yard.)

That said, you can buy the 5.0 Ah battery from Amazon.com for $219.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I have a small yard and use the 2Ah battery sometimes. Like Ken said, works great but only provides about 20 min of run time. It's almost enough to do my yard.
Photo of Tony

Tony

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Caveat Emptor with Home Depot!  They really don't try that hard to help customers.
Photo of beau

beau

Ok thanks. It's also missing the little key thing by the middle of the handle. How much would that cost? Thanks
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I don't know how much Ego charges, but it looks like people are selling 3-D printed replacements on eBay for about 9 bucks.
Photo of beau

beau

Well I pulled the trigger on the lawn mower. HD gave it to me for $175 and my lawn is small enough that the battery in my trimmer will work. My front and back lawn probably take 15 minutes to mow. I think I made out pretty good. Thanks
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Just be aware that the battery size determines the mower's cutting power.
This thick wet grass kept choking my 2.5Ah this morning when I started mowing with it while the big boy was charging. Once I popped the 7.5Ah in, it cut the rest of the yard without the slightest, caked on wet grass and all!

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
David, that's a grass massacre!
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,566 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Looks like the mower wasn't mulching very well! LOL :)
Well at least tipping the mower on the side like that you don't have to worry about dripping fuel on your lawn. Take that Honda!
Photo of TK

TK

• 4,246 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Picture is worth a thousand words.. thanks..  Football player can lift more than a jockey is true..
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

You're welcome! That really is a great price.

Be sure to post back here and let us know how it's working for you. Call Ego on Monday and ask them about a replacement key. The toll-free number and their hours are on the main page of this forum.
(Edited)
Photo of beau

beau

thanks

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.