mower battery green light and, if switched on, headlights won't go off without battery removal

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: CS

Just purchased new 21" Mower with included 5A Battery/Fast Charger system.  Battery Green light stays on when mower is off, goes on upon install in Mower. If turned on, headlights also stay on when mower is off.  Cannot turn off either without removing battery.

Photo of Tony

Tony

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Interesting... the green light on the battery doesn't concern me, but not being able to turn off the headlights does.

This may require a call to Customer Service to troubleshoot/resolve.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Do the headlights come on right away when the battery is installed?
Photo of Tony

Tony

No. If manually switched on, then they can't be manually switched off. Only battery removal turns them off.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Pushing the headlight on/off button has no effect at all?
Maybe it's just a bad headlight on/off switch.

The battery light being on when the headlights are on is normal, and I think both stay on indefinitely until the headlights are turned off. They aren't just on when the blade is spinning, and I think even stay on when you swap batteries.
Photo of Tony

Tony

We'll, the headlight switch always turns on the headlight, but it won't turn the headlight off, like it's latched up until the battery is removed.

Now the battery green status light immediately goes on when installed in the Mower, and the headlights are not on, nor is the Mower activated (on), and it doesn't go out , even if hours have past since use or installation.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

The battery's status light being on when the headlights and mower aren't on definitely sounds abnormal.

I often leave my battery in my mower when not in use and it doesn't light up except when the blade or headlight are on.
Photo of Tony

Tony

Yep! Would seem reasonable. I'll test it again tomorrow to see if it duplicates. Perhaps something got wet. It did sprinkle lightly this morning when I mowed.
Photo of Tony

Tony

Well this afternoon I retested the Mower/Battery/Headlights and all is good so I'm pleased with it, but  I guess the Mower isn't as 'water resistant' as I'd expect.  "Caution - Dry Clean Only" ha!  Problem resolved.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Nice! Let us know if the issue ever comes back.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

The mower is certified as water resistant against any splashing/raining water (up to and including mowing wet grass in a rain shower). If you didn't SPRAY water at the mower then it shouldn't have gotten wet anywhere that impacted performance.

I would be VERY concerned if water caused an electrical malfunction, as this could mean the internal water resistant barrier has failed. That should be covered under warranty if you have followed the guidelines for its use, care and cleaning. I would go ahead and give Ego a call.
Photo of Tony

Tony

The problem with 'moisture resistant' is that a consistent, repeatable method of test and validation is usually lacking, If it were 'moisture proof' to a set of specified conditions then performance could be verified.

If it occurs again I'll take further action. Thanks for your assistance.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

The IPx4 rating is the consistent, repeatable method of test and validation you are looking for. Hence the reason something must be wrong with your mower if water got inside somehow.

"Our product systems are IPX4 rated, which means that the tool and battery combination is tested and carries the rating."

Source:
Product and Accessory IPX4 Ratings
https://community.egopowerplus.com/eg...

IP Level 4 Definition:
Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect.
Test duration: 5 minutes
Water volume: 10 litres per minute
Pressure: 50–150 kPa

Source:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code
Photo of Tony

Tony

OK.  Then do I have cause to return the unit to Home Depot for replacement?
Photo of Willa Schlecht

Willa Schlecht

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am having this issue now where the headlights won't turn off unless the battery is removed. Bought mower in May 2016 and have used weekly without issues until now. The only thing I did differently was that i didn't wait for the battery to completely drain before recharging. I did wait until the indicator light was red. Looking forward to guidance for resolving.
Photo of Harry

Harry

• 2,802 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Tony: What was the resolution to your headlight problem?

Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Willa Schlecht

Willa Schlecht

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Good morning. I called the company and the service rep told me to finish the mowing season and to then take it in to have the headlight switch replaced. I bought it online at Home Depot and was asked to take it there for service. Rep assured me that the issue would not damage my machine in anyway. THEN....I transported the mower to do my dad's lawn and the issue resolved itself sometime during the transport. I may still take it in after mowing season.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Willa, thanks for calling in and thanks for reporting back.  How strange that the issue resolved itself.  We still think it wouldn't hurt to have the mower examined after the mowing season to make sure this issue doesn't randomly appear again.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.