More than 4 months at home depot to fix, not fixed yet.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: CS

As instructed I Left my Mower for repair at home depot last November. I never get it back. I think you should give me new one. That one is taking forever. Remember that I paid to use it well for five years. I just missed 5 months of use because is broken for more that 5 months and you are not able to fix it or give a new one.
Photo of Gerson F Borges

Gerson F Borges

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,532 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
That's utterly ridiculous
Photo of JoeH576

JoeH576

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If you have your receipt just return it and exchange for a new one. I just did because my receipt said I had 12 mos to return .
Photo of Gerson F Borges

Gerson F Borges

Maybe will do that if i get it back before June. 12 months expires on first week of June.
Thanks
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,088 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Why would you wait another day. 
Hello HD I want to return my mower. 
Where is your mower? 
Been in your repair department for 5 months.
Once return is processed - walk across the store and buy a new one for $50 off
$50 would be fair compensation for the repair nonsense.
(Edited)
Photo of David Holt

David Holt

• 1,200 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Im guessing you will get some response on this. If not, there are also options such as The Better Business Bureau and various state agencies. State Attorney compliants tend to get responses.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

There's another "workaround".....which, if I were in your shoes...

Buy a new one and return it before the return date.

That time frame is unacceptable, and could ruin the whole experience for me.  Ego needs to do something about this - IF it is widespread.
(Edited)
Photo of Harry

Harry

• 2,802 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

I've commented on this problem before. Until Ego establishes a viable and responsive service option for its equipment, I'm not buying any more Ego equipment. I have the 21" SP mower and am happy with it except for the poor blade design. But it has not yet broken. But it will eventually need service as most mechanical equipment does.

Remember this is a company that has a "high lift" blade being sold in Europe, but is unable to get it into distribution in the US. It was promised "early" in 2017. As far as I'm concerned it's mid-March and "early" has passed. How should we expect them to able to establish a decent option for service when they cannot even get a simple blade into distribution.

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,716 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Just buy another one and return it prior to the last return-date allowed, for full refund.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Why put out money for a second unit ?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sad to say, I'd be doing the same thing and not feeling at all guilty about it. And I'd buy it on a Home Depot credit card so I had a year to return it.

I'd also be riding Home Depot hard on this until I got some answers. And I'd contact Ego's customer service line to see if they can help intervene in any way.

Ego management needs to know how Home Depot is treating its customers.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I'd love to hear from an Ego rep that they either have, or will have shortly, something better in place cuz if this happens to me, well.....

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I can't say I wouldn't do the same... the grass needs to be cut!
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

allen, what part of "full refund" don't you understand?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

ummm.... you have to first "pay" for something in order to get a "full refund"

or perhaps I misunderstand your plan
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

that plan is, you put out the money for a new one, with full intention of returning it within the 90 days or 1 year if you get a HD credit card.

I think I'd get the credit card just in case and get a year to mow on their dime.  Yes it means putting out another $600 but we all can afford that obviously or we wouldn't have bought these in the first place?

Interesting nobody from Ego has commented - and they must be reading this...we're talking about mutiny here - lol

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

That may be because the mutiny doesn't really affect them one way or the other, just Home Depot.
Photo of Harry

Harry

Ken,

I don't agree. When (not if) the word gets out about the poor repair options available for Ego products, it certainly will affect sales for Ego. No one wants to buy a product that's a hassle to get repaired. The immediate impact may be on HD, but long term impact most certainly will be on Ego.

If Ego is addressing this shortcoming, then they need to let us know as word of mouth is their best (and worst) advertising. So far, I have not heard anything from Ego on this and I know they read every post on this forum.

I've had a couple neighbors ask me about the mower. I gave them my honest assessment, both good and bad, including the lack of repair options. Both elected to buy gas mowers.

Only time will tell, but Ego needs to act.

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Dave / Bloomz
Respectfully, I'll stick with why put out money for a second unit.  I may have enough money to buy one mower, but that doesn't mean I have enough for 2.  Why not get a refund for the unit that home depot has had in their repair department for 5 months.  Buying a second unit still makes no sense to me.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

That's fine - IF you can get a refund.  Remember please tho Allen, that many of us love these mowers, and would rather have them than our money back.

I was just putting out an alternative workaround.  Tho if mine were gone that long - I would TRY to get my money back, and buy another.  Lacking that, I would so what I said.  And homedepot could eat the return.

I do hope the original poster puts that same review on homedepot.com to alert new buyers of this huge problem.  Had I read that (among all the glowing reviews) I may have at least thought twice about buying it.  And - squeaky wheels get greased, tho broken mowers seemingly don't necessarily get fixed in a timely manner.

I hope Gerson posts that they made it right, and, has he called EGO about this issue?????  They do seem to have a very helpful customer service department.

More questions tho...what does HD say about this?  Or was it just a drive-by post?

And, why doesn't Jennifer answer it?

(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I believe Jennifer was out of the office for a couple days. She'll probably chime in when she gets back.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

good luck getting a refund for the one in for repairs.   The PRACTICAL method of dealing with Ego's slow repairs through HD, is to IMMEDIATELY purchase another unit when you drop off the defective unit for repair, so that you can MOW YOUR GRASS.  My grass doesn't wait for  the availability of a mower sitting at HD.

If they keep the mower longer than the full-refund window, then return the second unit for refund, and buy yet another.  You won't be out any more money in the long run, than the cost of ONE MACHINE.
(Edited)
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

That's good, if you bought one 3 or 4 times and returned it, that might get someone's attention!
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

dunno if it will fix the dismal repair times, but it is a pragmatic solution.
Photo of Brad Carey

Brad Carey

• 2,250 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
High end car dealers like Acura (or maybe it's just the Acura we utilize?) give you a loaner while your car is in for service, should Home Depot and Ego offer loaners too? Is this realistic? Would a loaner program be better for HD and Ego than folks buying a second mower only to return it once the repair is finished?
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

This has been brought up numerous times before. I think only HD and/or Ego could really comment on practicality.

Maybe the HD tool rentals could have a couple Ego mowers to rent or loan out for people with units in for service? Maybe mower repairs aren't common enough to justify every HD having that in place? Who knows...
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I picked up a drone over the winter. Maybe Ego should consider a system similar to how DJI handles its drone repairs (which cost more than Ego's lawn mowers):

Simple repairs are done right away and shipped back to the customer. Anything that is going to take longer, the customer receives a refurbished replacement. The customer's unit is then refurbished and eventually goes to someone else. But in the end, the customer gets a certified replacement as quickly as possible.
Photo of Harry

Harry

Makes sense except that drones are much easier to ship than mowers. Ego could provide a replacement with a custom box that could be used for return shipping of the defective unit. I'd much rather prefer that than dealing with HD. Like I've said, I'm done with Ego until they solve the repair issue.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Well that will force the to NOT have problems with their products. I like it
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,122 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That is what neighbors are for when it is the normal week or 2.

4 months in repair of a machine under warranty = give customer a new machine
Photo of Harry

Harry

This string has gone on for far too long for Ego not to advise us, THEIR CUSTOMERS, of their intentions. I raised this issue over a year ago when I learned about the HD delays. I've heard nothing at all from Ego on this, or I've missed it which I doubt.

EGO-PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS ISSUE. This is bad press that you really don't need. Unless you chime in, it will stand unchallenged.

In the meantime, I'll not be buying any more Ego products as they appear to be letting their customers hang out to dry on repairs.

Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I figured it out!  They're sending them back to China to fix!   Could there be any other answer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNNxgnVN3YY

(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Harry, they can't even get the HL blade to US customers in a reasonable time frame.  Larger issues, such as repairs, confound EGO to this day.  They are gonna remain a niche player if they can't get they "stuff" together.
Photo of Harry

Harry

I believe that what they'll see is a lot on one time buyers like myself. Had I learned of the repair issues with HD before I bought, I never would have bought the 21" SP mower. But its a great product as long as it's working.

Once new purchasers get involved with the product and forum, they will realize the shortcomings of Ego's support network as I did. Especially if they need repair work through HD. $600 plus tax is a lot to spend for a product that is marginally supported by the manufacturer. To be long term viable, Ego needs repeat buyers. Their failure to address this issue doesn't bode well for their long term future. If they were publicly owned, I'd not be a buyer of their stock. at least not right now.

I've owned a manufacturing company going on 27 years and cust. service is the name of the game. Ego needs to step up their game in the repair arena.

Photo of David Holt

David Holt

I am curious why they have not opened a North American Service Center to deal directly with repairs. How hard could that be?
Photo of Harry

Harry

Not sure that they don't have one. Earlier someone commented that their mower needed to go to Atlanta which is, I believe, still HD's headquarters. Ego may have set HD up for repairs. I really don't know, but it would seem logical. Regardless their system doesn't provide adequate and timely repair support.
Photo of David Holt

David Holt

I tend to believe that warranty repairs should be handled from start to finish by the manufacturer rather than the distributor. Most of my other tool warranties say pretty explicitly to contact them directly. Im wondering of this is a contractual disagreement....hence the silence from EGO on this.
Photo of Harry

Harry

I think this boils down simply to the fact that HD is in the business of selling, not repairing. Most everything that is purchased from HD and needs attention, is exchanged for a new item. Other brands of mowers sold by HD are backed directly by the mfgr for repairs and HD isn't in that loop. I have confirmed this with my local HD folks. It appears to me that repair service was an afterthought in the Ego-HD relationship. Neither party thought it through very carefully and us users have to suffer for their shortsightedness.
Photo of JoeH576

JoeH576

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Everyone should just exchange their mower every 12 mos for a new one lol! This is bs!!!
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I've never needed warranty service on Honda products.  My last Honda mower was well past 10 years, NOTHING wrong with it and I sold it for $200.  I truly miss it.  the ONLY reason I got the EGO was because I want to avoid gas powered lawn equipment.  Not sure it was worth all  the compromises.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Wonder if he got it back yet?

Still not a peep from Ego on this quite serious situation.

Photo of Harry

Harry

AFAIK the Ego rep has never commented on this issue. Maybe they are afraid to admit their failure in this regard. This single issue is my sole reason for not buying any more Ego products. Great product, but unacceptable repair infrastructure. Everything mechanical eventually needs repair.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Gerson, we can look into this service repair for you (and for anyone else that ever experiences this). Please give our customer service team a call and we'll research the issue for you. We can find out about any repairs pending at the Home Depot and can escalate issues such as this. 4 months is unacceptable to us as well! We'll need all of your information and will need to know the Home Depot where you dropped it off. We want to help. We can be reached at 1-855-346-5656 until 8:00PM EST on weekdays.
Photo of Harry

Harry

Jennifer,

What turn around time should a customer expect for repair of a mower with HD? IOW what is Ego's standard for repair times?

Harry

Harry, we have agreed to a 4-6 week turnaround time with the Home Depot. Anything that takes more than 8 weeks should be escalated to our customer service team so we can escalate internally and help you from there.
(Edited)
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,318 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
4-8 weeks? You are out of your minds? 4-8 days...Maybe! As a company it is on you to make sure HD has the parts it needs to make the repairs. Come to the party on this one, Ego.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Beth, am I correct that you work for Home Depot? If so, it would be interesting if you were to post up some information on the repair process as you understand it from "the inside" after inquiring about it.

My understanding is that HD sends tools out for repair, they are not repaired in-house.
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,318 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
It depends on the level of difficulty of the repair. I will be gathering the comments here and forwarding them to our corporate office. I will also check in with our repair department and ask more questions. Give me a few days. I noticed we have a refurbished mower for sale at my store and we sell used tools and equipment regularly.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Somewhere I heard they have to be sent to Atlanta for repairs, is that correct?  Is there only one service shop in the US?

Some Home Depots do repairs on-site and some send them off to a central repair facility. It is all dependent on the Home Depot store.
Photo of Gerson F Borges

Gerson F Borges

It came back Last week. But I decided to return it. More than 4 months is too much. Got full refund. I'm afraid to buy another one. 
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I understand your concerns. I'd be pretty pissed
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yep, can`t blame you on that one.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Yep, that's f-ing ridiculous that they can't repair these things faster, OR IMMEDIATELY OFFER a loaner.  Get it together, EGO.   You need to make loaners available for mowers.   Grass doesn't stop growing just because our mowers might be broken.  Work something out with HD or find another retail outlet that can service your products far faster.
(Edited)
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,274 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Dave, that sounds nightmarish! We’re very sorry that you had such an unpleasant experience. Furthermore, we hear you loud and clear regarding repair times.   Please know that we are actively working with Home Depot to ameliorate this situation. 
Photo of SBalanetsky

SBalanetsky

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled 4-8 Weeks for repairs? More like we'll fix it when we fix it..

I sent my mower away for repairs 6 weeks ago. The original timetable I received was 4-6 weeks, which later became 4-8 weeks. HD advised me that it would take 2 weeks for shipping to the RLC alone. Now, I find myself at the 6 week point and NO UPDATE WHATSOEVER. Every customer service rep I speak to tells me that they'll check into it and call back but no such luck. 
  SO, I find myself 6 weeks out, no update as to whats going on with my mower, no timetable as to when I'll get it back, and out money for having to pay a service to cut my grass for the past 6 weeks and the foreseeable future. 
  What is going on???!!!
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Why are you paying for a lawn service?  Go buy another EGO mower from HD and use it while your current one is being repaired.  Once you get yours back, take the "temp" mower back for a full refund.  HD gives you 90-days for a full refund (just keep the box and all papers/packing material).  HD gives you a full year if you charge it to your HD card.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Home Depot has been dropping the ball on their warranty repairs. In addition to DJDDay's suggestion, it can help to get Ego involved to kick HD in the pants. Call Ego's customer service and see if they can escalate your repair: 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.