My LM2000-S cordless mower is losing charge

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I have a modelLM2000-S cordless mower. I bought it last season and loved it, but this season I mowed once and the battery doesn't seem to be holding the charge. I had it in the charger over winter but in the manual it says storage in the charger is okay. But I think I may have fried the battery. Anyone else know what causes this problem?
Photo of Sue Lindsay

Sue Lindsay

• 70 Points

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,628 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

Quick question. Was it fully charged without you having to charge it over the winter? If you just pulled it any tried to use it without putting it back into the charger to recharge, the battery was probably in storage mode which is about 30 percent of capacity.
Photo of Julio Villanueva

Julio Villanueva

• 1,860 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I'm still not sure about how to store battery. Someone told me that it should be in charger, plugged, all winter. But guy in Home Depot where I bought it told me that it should not be kept in charger for the time no being used. I have to do more research on this issue
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The guy at Home Depot is both right and wrong. If you keep any battery plugged in for too long without draining and recharging it then it will eventually lose its ability to store a charge.

The Ego batteries have protection to keep them from overcharging once it reaches a full charge. And if an Ego battery goes 1 month without being used (whether left in a tool, on a charger, or disconnected) then it automatically self-discharges down to 30% and stops charging.

The guy at Home Depot probably forgot that the Ego batteries do that automatically since many others do not. If you left most other batteries on the charger for several months (or stored them fully charged) then it would permanently damage their ability to store a charge. But not an Ego battery.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,628 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Try charging it and see if your next cut lasts longer. customer service could probably explain what I'm talking about a bit better. It's hard to reply while using my phone. I'm not as text talented as others on here. Cough. Blue. Cough.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sue, these guys are right on the money. If your battery was on the charger all winter and you pulled it off and started cutting, it was sitting at 30% capacity. This is an automatic storage mode that maintains the battery for periods of inactivity longer than 30 days.

If you haven't done so already, try putting the battery back in the charger and letting it go through a charge cycle, and then try cutting again. I have a feeling your battery will do just as well as it did last year. :-)

Now if the storage mode is not the culprit there may be something else going on, but let's rule that out first.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
The only thing I would add is to suggest not leaving it on the charger all winter for the reason it is connected to the mains power which may subject it or the charger to voltage spikes/surges. Some areas are more susceptible.

Also, I keep my batteries in the house to keep them at a nominal temperature that doesn't fluctuate too much. I think I read somewhere that extremely cold and warm temperatures and fluctuations between them are too good. But who knows?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
From the battery manual:

Based on that, storage above 80F for long periods is not recommended. Nothing there about low temps, but I seem to remember storing below freezing can also be detrimental.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I still take it as not to charge them below 32F but that may be more for the charger as more current would flow when the battery is cold due to the lower voltage of the pack. Just maybe as it's speculation, as the charger is a smart charger.

Nevertheless, it's the higher temps you need to focus on avoiding. Thanks!