Metal brush-cutting head for trimmer

• Idea
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Under Consideration
One area where the EGO trimmers fall behind the competition is the ability to add a metal brush-clearing blade.  For certain applications like clearing blackberry brambles strings just aren't strong enough and access is too difficult with a hedge trimmer.  Please consider adding a brush clearing option like a metal blade attachment.
Photo of Ryan Thomas

Ryan Thomas

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,376 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I have an Echo 58v String Trimmer that I wanted a brush blade for, but neither Home Depit or Echo was able to come up with an answer. Because of that, I bought the EGO String Trimmer Attachment for my EGO Power Head and the brush cutter blade and adapter kit on Amazon.

Wisamic 10" 80T Carbide Blade Tip with Washer Brush Cutter Trimmer Weed Eater Blade (1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BW2BRHS/...

Podoy Gardening Machine Lawnmower Blade Adapter Attachment Maintenance Kit Compatible with STIHL String Trimmers Brush Cutter FS120 FS130 FS130R FS200 FS200R FS250 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077HJSBGZ/...

Ignore the description where it said for Stihl; it works for EGO.
(Edited)
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

• 1,076 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Nicely done.
Photo of Zoom Renity

Zoom Renity

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Any chance the blade could fly off?

William E Hanson

Zoom, not likely when it's installed properly.
Photo of Ellie

Ellie

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I tried to attach the blade with this attachment kit, but the gears do not mesh....

William E Hanson

Ellie, are you using the exact blade and adapter kit on the string trimmer attachment STA1500?

Actually any brush cutter blade with an 1" bore.
(Edited)
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 1,330 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
One thing to keep in mind, unlike using string, the cutting teeth are orientation specific and only work one way. I use carbide tipped blades like this on a gas Echo trimmer and they are amazing.
Photo of Ellie

Ellie

This is what I bought: I clicked and copied directly from this site.......Blade looks great, but the gears on the "washer" do not mesh with those on the trimmer head. Suggestions?

10" x 3 Teeth Steel Brush Cutter, Trimmer, Weed Eater Blade
Sold by: Pool Supply Town Product question? Ask Seller
Return eligible through Jul 19, 2019

$15.99

CISNO Set of 4Pcs Gardening Machine Lawnmower Blade Adapter Attachment Maintenance Washer Kit Replacement for STIHL String Trimmers Brush Cutter
Sold by: Acepath USA
Return eligible through Jul 19, 2019

$10.90

William E Hanson

Ellie, the blade requires a certain size bore; typically 1". Each blade's specs should say what size bore it requires and whether they're supplying adapter washers for other sizes. Earlier in this thread, I listed what worked for my string trimmer attachment Model STA1500. I can't speak for other models. I bought this specifically to permanently convert to a brush cutter. I already had an Echo 58v String Trimmer that couldn't be converted, so it's a dedicated string trimmer.
Photo of Ellie

Ellie

I also have the string trimmer Model STA 1500 and I love it. It just is not quite up to the big brush cutting job that I have. The bore of the blade is fine, just that the gears on the washer that holds it down (different company) do not quite mesh with those on the 1500...Thanks for any suggestions!

William E Hanson

Ellie, this is the adapter I used and it was a perfect fit:

Podoy Gardening Machine Lawnmower Blade Adapter Attachment Maintenance Kit Compatible with STIHL String Trimmers Brush Cutter FS120 FS130 FS130R FS200 FS200R FS250 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077HJSBGZ/...
Photo of Dean Allen

Dean Allen

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Could there be a difference in the ST 1500 and STA 1500?  Mine is ST 1500.  I got the same parts you ordered, but like Ellie, the gears don't match up on the washer and the nut is too big.  

William E Hanson

Dean, mine is the STA1500 string trimmer attachment; I bought this specifically to convert to a brush cutter permanently based on a YouTube video I saw. I had tried to convert the Echo 58v cordless string trimmer I already had to no avail; Echo customer service would not comment on such a conversion. More than likely, there's a difference among the various EGO string trimmers.
https://youtu.be/0M4hGO-snQs
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 66,030 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There will definitely be a difference between ST1500 and STA 1500. ST1500 has the motor at the business end and the STA only has gearing at that end. 
Photo of Dean Allen

Dean Allen

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
So is it possible to attach a blade to the ST1500?

William E Hanson

Dean, those adapter kits are listed as "universal", but also list some of the makes/models it will fit. Best to call the manufacturer of the kit and ask. Also, amazon has a good return policy in case it doesn't fit.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,626 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That looks like it will do some work ! Enjoy your modification William
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,626 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ryan. Ego makes a brush cutter for the UK/EU market. Hopefully they will bring it to the US/NA market soon.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 67,232 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
EGO really needs to step up their accessory selections. Instead of introducing more and more tools, introducing asked for accessories would be a really nice move toward customer loyalty. Especially since this mod has likely voided the EGO warranty. 
William, don't misunderstand me, I feel your frustration.

William E Hanson

Oregon Mike, not a concern since this is a simple attachment tool. Technically, all I did was remove the string head and replaced with the blade and the adapter. I can easily reverse the change if/when I want to use the string trimmer, but I already have a dedicated string trimmer.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 66,030 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Looks like it was a real simple swap so that's good. I just wish EGO would provide those kinds of things that could be swapped and not void the warranty.