Maximum lot size

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
I have a two acre lot with about one acre of lawn.  Is that too much for the self-propelled mower?

Photo of Lawrence Ponoroff

Lawrence Ponoroff

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 65,350 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Not so much the mower, but it might be too much to do on a single battery charge. The 21" sp comes with the 7.5ah battery and most have reported getting about a half acre of mow time. You could, potentially, extend that if you don't need sp all the time but probably not an additional half acre. 
If you have another EGO tool with battery you could put the mower's battery on to charge when it runs down and grab the other battery. 

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Lots of variables that determines battery life; lot topography, type of grass, typical height of grass when mowed, sharpness of your blade, speed you run the SP, battery size (7.5 Ah?), how you make your turns, the pattern you're mowing, whether you're mulching, bagging or side discharge, moist or dry grass, etc. My guess would be a yes under the ideal conditions , but also would have another battery if you must finish non-stop. Definitely would be sufficient for most typical city lots between 1/4 - 1/2 acre.
(Edited)
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
They also have a dual battery mower that would handle that no problem I would think.
Photo of Danny Grizzle

Danny Grizzle

An acre is too much for any walk behind mower unless you are retired and in great health. Especially in peak mowing season, which demands weekly mowing.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Danny, that explains why I mow every 2-3 days, even when the HOA is suppose to.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,112 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Lots of folks here use Egos on 1 acre lawns. We mow two acres and 1/4 mile of paths, using sp quite a bit. We have two of the 21 SP single battery mowers. With both mowers running we can be done in just under an hour. one person with a single mower takes 2 batteries. And no, we are not retired and I am a wheezy old asthmatic, lol. You'll be fine. get the trimmer too so you can swap out batts if you need to.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 480 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Tractor time. That’s a lot of pushing.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Huh, a lawn tractor? Gee thanks, I never would have thought of that.... wink, smirk.

Seriously, with the SP, it's just walking in a park. turn it off and you get a gentle workout. And between having to go back and do by push and string trimmer all the parts the rider can't reach, it really doesn't even take much more time. The Ego can get in close almost everywhere, so almost done in one pass now.

We got onto Ego mowing when we found both our gas riding mower and the high end Toro dead in the garage and having to hit the shop, *again.* We were getting ready for a party so we needed something fast and while they were out of commission.

We already had Ego snowblower we got the season before (585 ft of gravel drive. Now, that *is* a lot of pushing. broken record plea for SP in the blower.)

So, we popped for the mower figuring we already had spare batteries, and hoping it would at least get us through the party prep and tide us over til the rider got back. Then we could use it where the Toro did clean up.

That was three years ago, and the old machines are still in the garage waiting to get fixed, lol.

Lawrence Ponoroff

Yes, I should have made clear that my principal concern is time and effort, not battery life.  Thanks.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

If you are trying to decide between push mowers, Ego hands down. They will all take the same amount of time you take to walk it. But Ego is such a breeze to use, plus you save all the monkeying time with getting gas and tune ups, and small engine care and maintenance, etc. Now, if you are looking to get done in the absolute shortest amount of time, and you have a pristine flat rectangular suburban lot, with no obstacles like landscaping, trees or gardens, I have a riding mower I can sell you cheap. lol. We are hoping Ego is working on a rider to compete with the one out now but that one is lead based, so doesn't have the power or battery life of lithium.
(Edited)

Lawrence Ponoroff

That would be ideal (an Ego rider, not buying your old gas rider!).  Ryobi has sealed lead acid model, but there are a couple of lith-ion riders coming out soon--Cub Cadet, Craftsman, and something called Edge, but they are powerfully expensive--like $4k. 

I'm a senior but healthy and in shape.  Maybe the Ego push mower for now.  Even the dual battery model would pay for itself in less than a season compared to what I've been paying a landscaper.  Then an electric rider down the road as the technology improves and the price (hopefully) drops.
Photo of Steve Mann

Steve Mann

• 466 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

I'm currently cutting my property with the 2102 walk-behind and barely use the SP. I'm an out-of-shape about-to-turn-51 yo living on 3.8 acres. My grass grows as fast as I've ever seen grass grow and is thick. If I keep on top of it and don't wait longer than a week, I get very close to an acre on a 7.5 battery. If I wait more than 2 weeks in the summer, I'm lucky to get 1/2 acre. Unfortunately, the Florida sun usually gets me before the battery does. One can't cut too early as the overnight mist keeps the grass moist. I've tried mid-morning and I don't get very far. YMMV.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,532 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have a dual battery self-propelled lawn mower with two 7.5ah batteries.  I am pretty sure it would handle an acre.  You can walk at any pace you want.  It is not hard exercise, unless you have huge slopes.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,532 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have a dual battery self-propelled lawn mower with two 7.5ah batteries.  I am pretty sure it would handle an acre with no problem.  You can walk at your own comfortable pace.  It is easy exercise, unless you have large slopes.

Lawrence Ponoroff

Thank you. 
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I love my SP, my neighbors say I make mowing the lawn look so effortless, because it is. The mower is a lot lighter than gas with about the same power. I don’t have near an acre though, but it is the lightest and easiest mower I’ve ever had.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,174 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Matthew nailed it - the pleasure (yes I said Pleasure) of using these mowers makes up for any "deficiencies" that some talk about.
I never thought I would ENJOY mowing - but I do, in the 3rd year of using my Ego - so get another tool with another battery - I have 3
I think I'll go out and mow my lawn right now, and it doesn't really need it.  Or maybe the neighbors again.....

(Edited)