I'm disappointed in the repair process.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: CS

Bought the mower over the winter and used it three times. While using it it just stopped after hitting a large tree root. No troubleshooting worked. Called EGO support and sat on hold 30 minutes. before leaving a message. When they called back late the next day they told to take it to Home Depot for repair. EGO rep didn't bother to tell me Home Deport would charge me for the diagnostic work. They said they would call me in the next day or so with an update. After eight days I finally called them and they said they were waiting on a part - control panel or something - and it wouldn't even ship to them for another three days. 

This may sound crazy, but I was literally dreaming of getting this mower and I am massively disappointed with the product, the EGO non-service and the Home Depot non-service.
Photo of Michael Keating

Michael Keating

• 304 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Wait, is Ego covering the repairs under warranty??

After hitting a root I would expect to be out of pocket for all repairs—diagnostics, parts, labor, and all.
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 754 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Michael, don't waste your time debating with David - he would defend this mower and Ego if it was cutting off peoples toes on a daily basis - I've owned about 20 mowers in my lifetime and tree roots are a common obstacle and while it is obviously best to avoid them, having hit many a tree root in the past 50 years of mowing, I've never had a mower stop and refuse to start afterwards. Rocks as well. This mower is a delicate instruct technologically and thus you should keep that in mind. I too love this mower but wish I was not part of the beta test we all seem to be involved in. I hope they do cover it because no mower should be DOA after stopping due to an obstacle - it should restart unless you bent the shaft, in which case I would agree (rare) with David and say you may be out of luck.
Photo of Frank VanOverloop

Frank VanOverloop

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
WHERE I SEE THE MAIN PROBLEM IS WITH HOME DEPOT,THERE THE ONES SELLING THIS PRODUCT'SO DON'T YOU THINK  THEY SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SERVICE ON THE PRODUCT THEY SELL?
I  PERSONALLY THINK THEY SHOULD BE. 
Photo of Brennan Breene

Brennan Breene

• 464 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree with the above. There are a few company shills on here.... I took delivery of a 21 SP mower on Mothers Day (gift). We are returning it. The lack of parts availability and poor service via Home Depot is a deal killer. People can praise EGO all they want. However, I have found (via phone call) parts availability is tightly controlled by EGO largely unavailable for self-repair. So if you need a repair on your own dime (not covered by warranty) you are at the mercy of Home depot on cost and turn time. Under warranty it is covered but can take 8 weeks?? Also, I know for a fact a lot of Home Depot Service is sent to a 3rd party. So Ego is using a 3rd party (Home Depot) for service and then Home Depot is subcontracting it out to others.............

Also, someone commented here a week or so ago that the battery should last 10 years and something like 1,000 cycles. If that is true why is the battery only warranted for 3 years??? Also, a battery (7.5) runs over $400 with tax.............
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
So, if I buy a new set of tires for my car and then hit a curb, blowing one of them out, I should get a new tire for free under warranty?
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Ken that is a terrible analogy.   I've hit sprinkler heads and other things with various mowers.  Nothing bad happened to any of the mowers.  At worst is a ding in the blade.  
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I can tell you from experience Ken, even if you only hit a pothole and damage the sidewall of the tire, a road hazard warranty will only give a prorated discount. On a 6 month old tire this was about $50 off of a replacement $200 tire.

And that's only if you paid extra specifically for a road hazard warranty. With only the manufacturer's warranty, you're just SOL.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Dave . Most in-ground sprinkler heads I've seen have been plastic, so no surprise there.

The first month I owned my Ego I hit a chunk of concrete. Luckily the only damage was a ding in the blade. It was just bad enough that I decided to replace the blade rather than try to file it out, and chalked it up to a rookie mistake that was my own fault.

I agree that Ego needs to step up its game when it comes to getting service done more quickly. Parts need to be more readily in stock, at least for the most common repair problems. And if Home Depot can't get repairs turned around quickly, then some other solution needs to be found.

But I would never expect a manufacturer to eat the cost of damage that was my own fault.
(Edited)
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I agree with Bob that after hitting an obstruction the mower should restart unless the motor shaft is broke or bent.
What did you do to troubleshoot?
Any status lights?
Handlebar clamps clipped in and safety mechanism like the key in place and ready?
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Keating

Michael Keating

Yes, it seems like David Cline is related to the EGO rep that didn't even tell me HD would charge me. The HD guy was pretty annoyed and said EGO does this on purpose so the customer gets mad at HD and not EGO, so I'm figuring it is standard practice.

If hitting a root did something structural then I would expect it to be my fault - although I've done that dozens of times with Toro, Honda and even Yard Machines over the year without any problems. Even my 36v B&D battery model handled this yard without any difficulty before I decided to "upgrade" to EGO.

For troubleshooting - I did everything I found here and all of it all over again while on the phone with EGO's rep. Blade moves fine, everything extended, no light, 
etc.

To be clear, we don't even know that hitting anything caused a problem with the control board - not sure how they would be connected. We just know that both things happened in close proximity to each other. The control board is what they are replacing.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I'm a customer just like you, and am also concerned about what would happen if I ever hit any of the many tree roots or rocks in and around our lawn.

Ego did have a service partner before Home Depot, but apparently they weren't capable of performing at the level Ego demanded. The Home Depot service relationship just began last year, but doesn't appear to be fairing much better. I

Would imagine Ego is exploring alternatives, but I believe they are in an exclusive contract with Home Depot for all service in the US. Which is why I would provide as much detail as possible directly to Ego via email whenever the service anyone gets at Home Depot falls short of expectations.

I think we all hope Ego is able to find a better service partner than Home Depot before we ever have to deal with them. But only actual reports of bad service to Ego will help them negotiate better performance guarantees from Home Depot or document cause for terminating their agreement if a better service provider is identified.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I am scared to post this because I am a champion also, well here it goes. The motor controller board is bolted to the motor on the 20" mower, i would assume it is the same case for the 21"mower. The reason it is mounted on the motor, is there is a motor speed Encoder on the motor top that the control board reads. So i could see hitting something could possibly break something on that board.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Would be great if EGO made the service manual available and made parts available.
I was a Honda certified tech (equipment and motorcycles) when I was younger and do all my own car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle...you name it I can fix it if I have the parts and tech manuals. :)

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

So we need to treat the mower like a cell phone? 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

You need to at least understand that there are differences --- pluses and minuses --- between gas and electric. A Tesla is not a Challenger Hellcat.

Each has advantages and disadvantages. Weigh those when making your buying decision.

If I were buying a lawn mower for use in a landscaping business where I didn't know the hazards of the properties I'd be mowing, I wouldn't buy an Ego. But for an average-sized suburban lawn like mine, where I know where the one tree root is I need to avoid and rocks and gravel aren't an issue, the Ego is plenty rugged.
Photo of Brennan Breene

Brennan Breene

• 464 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree with the above. There are a few company shills on here.... I took delivery of a 21 SP mower on Mothers Day (gift). We are returning it. The lack of parts availability and poor service via Home Depot is a deal killer. People can praise EGO all they want. However, I have found (via phone call) parts availability is tightly controlled by EGO largely unavailable for self-repair. So if you need a repair on your own dime (not covered by warranty) you are at the mercy of Home depot on cost and turn time. Under warranty it is covered but can take 8 weeks?? Also, I know for a fact a lot of Home Depot Service is sent to a 3rd party. So Ego is using a 3rd party (Home Depot) for service and then Home Depot is subcontracting it out to others.............

Also, someone commented here a week or so ago that the battery should last 10 years and something like 1,000 cycles. If that is true why is the battery only warranted for 3 years??? Also, a battery (7.5) runs over $400 with tax.............
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
No matter the company or the tool, there are far too many variables to accurately predict battery lifespan in consumer goods.

Lithium rechargeables are said to be good for somewhere between 500-1000 full-depth cycles. Each individual can do the math based on their usage frequency, then add in some unknown negative multiplication factor based on environmental conditions and potential abuse situations, storage time between use, etc. :-)
Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

• 1,872 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I hope you get the problem resolved.  I don't want to think I will be going through stress to get mine fixed if it malfunctions.  I love my EGO (push type).
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

• 1,814 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I have been saying this a number of times in this forum. Ego has very good products, there representative Home Depot is dragging them down, and in the long reun could derail a really good product. Your product is only as good as your "up front" representative. Remember that we are just starting to get into the maturing and aging of these products now, it will continue to escalate.
It is also getting harder to get in touch with Ego Customer Service Representatives. There are numerous posts on this.
Fingers crossed that it will not continue on this path, as I really want these great products to succeed.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks David.  Yes, we are definitely working out the kinks in our customer service department and have put more staff and training in place to dig out from the high call volume that we're experiencing right now.  We appreciate your and everyone's patience as we work through this learning curve and promise that we are trying hard to get back to the excellent customer service and short wait times that people experienced in the past and will experience in the near future.  
Photo of G. Vogel

G. Vogel

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I share the disappointment with the HD sales and service people. When returning a diff. brand mower to their store last week l wanted to apply the credit to an EGO 2000. According to the clerk they had only one left and she went to the back for it. After a maddening 10 minutes she came back and told me they had just loaded it on a truck for return to the on-line warehouse. I left in disgust and never even asked if this was a demanding from EGO HQ.

Am now looking at a Honda who gives assured services although they are not as green as the EGO brand.
Photo of Gerry Litvin

Gerry Litvin

• 1,092 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
The mower is warranted for 5 years, but as you said the battery is only 3 years. This does make me think that Ego feels confident that the battery will last over 3 years.  It also makes me feel like they don't know or don't have confidence in it lasting much longer than 3 years.  As new owners of these mowers we must decide if it is worth the risk to keep it realizing it could cost another $400 only 3 years down the road.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Why does that apply to Ego but not other companies and technologies?

My new TV only has a one-year warranty, but I'm pretty sure it will last longer than that.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Because a mower should last a heck of a lot longer than either 3 or 5 years.  I just sold a perfectly functional 14+ year Honda for $200.  It worked as well and looked as good (no dents or cracks) as when purchased.  A few oil changes and that was it.   The blade would last a season before needing to be sharpened.   I just wanted to avoid the noise and fumes.   Otherwise I'd have kept it a whole lot longer.  I still am debating with myself about the wisdom (or lack thereof) of having replaced it with the Ego.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

My last Honda lasted 15 years. I'll let you know in 13 how my 20" Ego compares.

My wife ran our old Honda over with her car and it still worked well enough for a few more cuts. Doubt the Ego is built that well, but I also doubt the newer Hondas are either.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Dave, out of curiosity, how long do you think the warranty would need to be before you would feel comfortable?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

A buddy of mine who lives a few blocks from me has a gas lawn mower that is still going strong after 16 years (he bought it when he bought his house). Of course he has to pay to have it tuned up every couple of years, including $200 worth of work last year. So you do have to factor maintenance costs into any investment like a lawn mower, gas or electric.

If I have to buy a new $200 4Ah battery once every four years (and battery technology will obviously improve over time), then take my money. It's worth it to me to not have to deal with gas, oil, tune-ups and so forth.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I'm more into ACTUAL longevity of a product than something written on a piece of paper.  I own plenty of things that have lasted for decades, yet their warranties were 1 year.  I have a portable Sony radio that I bought when serving in 'Nam.  Still works fine.  I have a high-end audio amp that is still going strong since purchased in 1985. Do you get me now?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I was replying to Gerry's specific comment about the length of the warranty. Do you not understand that?
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Then go buy another Honda. Geez.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Absolutely Dave, that's why I asked! :-)

A product's warranty is rarely a good indicator of the expected service life. In fact, in many cases the warranty is more or less just a trial period where the owner gets time to make sure there are no defects in workmanship or quality, after which you expect a long and relatively trouble-free service life.

Early product failure is relatively common in manufactured goods. It has been studied extensively, and many refer to the "Bathtub Curve" when talking about predicted life:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batht...

If the warranty gets us into the "mature" phase of the product life cycle, that's about all we can ask. :-)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

agreed
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Maybe this will help. I mow like 1.2 to 1.5 acres with the 20" mower (it takes like 6-7 hours). Mowing for 2 years so far, this is year 3. Divide 1.25 by your lot size in acres of grass you mow. Then multiply by 2. Thats how many years my mower has been mowing a lot your size. This is only to show you longevity, not to praise ego and cause an argument.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

6-7 hours?  Wouldn't a riding mower be more appropriate for that much mowing?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Well. Yeah of course. I have one. I just enjoy the peace and quiet i get mowing at night. I have a 5' reel mower that i chose not to use. Maybe i'm crazy, probably, but i do enjoy mowing at night.
Photo of Rob Falcipieri

Rob Falcipieri

• 600 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I for one returned my Ego (21" push) and I'm happily maintaining my law with my Honda, I wasn't happy with the Ego cut, the thought of having to spend what for some is a weeks salary to replace a battery when the time comes really didn't sit well with me, the hold times I read about for C.S. was unacceptable and if I ever had to wait weeks for repair work, well that just isn't a realistic expectation I have for a product that cost $500-$600. (How about a loaner Ego??) I mean when you introduce new products you ramp up your C.S./repair org. BEFORE you put the product on the shelf, not after, you anticipate rather than re-act which is what Ego seems to be doing and I for one wasn't willing to be part of their experiment. Sorry for the sour apples but I really wanted to like my Ego, simply too may negatives for me.
Photo of Roadmaster

Roadmaster

• 560 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Apropos to the EGO, self-propelled 21" electric lawn mower, I would like to state that I am very pleased with that product. Since receiving it on May 24th, I've used it about five times mowing my front yard, my fenced in back yard, my back yard in back of the fence, and two grassy strips between my home and adjacent neighbor's homes. I've owned five electric lawn mowers over the last forty four years, prior to buying the EGO one. The EGO one (so far), is the easiest one to use, as I have very little back pain while using it; I like the adjustable speed, and how quietly it operates. It does a very good job of mowing my lawn, in a relatively short period of time. The amount of charge on the 7.5AH, 56 volt battery is adequate for my needs. I am not unsympathetic to the various service issues which have been raised on this site, pertaining to the entity (I won't even name that company), which EGO has a contractual relationship with, regarding warranty work. It is my fervent hope that when that contract expires, that EGO tells that provider "You're fired"!'
Photo of Michael Keating

Michael Keating

Hmmm. Home Depot said the part was shipping yesterday and they would keep me in the loop. Remember, I gave them the mower 10 days ago so this hardly constitutes anything remotely close to real service. Maybe it shipped and maybe it didn't. No updates.

I also found out how EGO gets such good reviews on HomeDepot.com. The site is a fraud. As soon as you say anything about the service experience they ban the review so they only let nice things, for the most part, get on the site. Heaven forbid anyone say anything bad about big orange. 
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I think the guidelines for writing Home Depot reviews are very simple and clear, and include the following requirements:

We want to publish your review, so please follow these writing guidelines:
• Focus on the product
• Avoid writing about customer service issues - instead, contact us to discuss your concerns

I haven't written many, but I've had no problems getting my few negative reviews approved and published. In fact, I see a 1-star review of the 21" SP Ego mower that is critical of the process for getting warranty repairs. You just have to focus on the product, not an isolated service failure.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Keating

Michael Keating

Except that nobody will ever know whether the service failure is "isolated" because they block all comments about service failures.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Your experience is always in isolation. If lots of people report their own bad experience then the reviews will reflect a trend.

Otherwise 3 people in 1000 could have a problem and report it and there could be dozens of erroneous bad reviews saying they heard rumors or read online about "lots of people" having issues. Just report your own FIRSTHAND experience and it should be approved, so long as you focus on the product and overall service, just stating facts about any service failures you experienced.

I suspect that my hypothetical example is very similar to the actual situation with reviews of Ego's service.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Also, I have NEVER had a review rejected if I contacted the manufacturer first and included a description of the product issue I experienced and how it was resolved by the manufacturer and/or Home Depot. Give both sides of the story and don't assume or generalize based on your own experience. Try to help others, not just vent or criticize in a vacuum.

Just trying to help you get your review approved. If you do resubmit it, save a copy of your review text before submitting. You won't get a copy of the review you submitted if it's rejected. I've written a few Home Depot reviews in my time, and have learned a thing or two along the way...

Photo of Michael Keating

Michael Keating

I do get what you're saying and perhaps the HD policy makes sense when they are selling something that either does not need to be serviced or is serviced by a third party. In the EGO case, their own lack of service would affect the likelihood of someone buying the product which makes their policy pretty self serving at best.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Michael. That is a completely inaccurate statement. Go to HD website. Look at the reviews there about the first blower. There are plenty of bad reviews there. Here are the reviews for the first gen blower.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

This review is one of only SIX 1-star reviews (out of 373 total) yet it appears on the very first page of reviews:

I don't think Home Depot is hiding or rejecting reviews for being critical of Home Depot's repair services.
Photo of Michael Keating

Michael Keating

Of course they hide and reject reviews that are critical of HD"s repair services. They rejected mine for it. They admitted it. You defended them for doing it earlier in this thread. The literal text of their rejection is below. The customer's critique of their service is not visible to other customers on HD.com by their design. BTW - I left very detailed, unemotional facts about my problems and they did nothing to "promptly address my concerns."

For issues around Shipping, Delivery or Customer Service, please enter this information into the designated "Customer Service & Shipping" section on the review submission form so that we can promptly address your concerns.

I'm going to unsubscribe and not comment again. Fundamentally, the question is whether HD should allow reviews of their poor service to be public when they are exclusively responsible for service after the sale. I think that it would be honest if they did so customers can see the full experience they can expect - good and bad. You disagree. 
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

• 1,814 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I think the difference is that they allow reviews of the product itself as it only reflects on the Manufacturer (Ego), but do not allow a review of their service performance as it is a direct reflection of Home Depot.
It is not that I agree with them doing that, but that is probably why you do see some negative reviews only about "the Product".
As I have said before Home Depot is not a good Service Partner for Ego.

DavidH
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

To be honest, I don't think reviews of Home Depot as a whole are very relevant in a product review. Sure, drawing awareness to the fact that Home Depot is currently the only authorized US service provider is relevant. But that could change tomorrow and any reviews focusing on that will instantly become completely irrelevant and inaccurate.

If a new/updated version of a product comes out, it will usually get a new product page and fresh slate for reviews. If something about a repair network changes but the product remains the same, people will be confused by outdated reviews that provide information which is no longer accurate. I encounter this all the time when reading product reviews.

But, for the record, I know for a fact that Home Depot says it does not edit, screen, or otherwise hide unflattering comments about Home Depot's sales or service operations, so long as the review focuses on the product. I also know that there is inherently an element of subjectivity and some variance in interpretation between review screeners.

For example, I recently submitted a 5* review of a product that was rejected. You can't reply to a rejection email, but I reached out to someone through another channel to ask why. I never got an answer, but upon further review it ended up being approved. If you save a copy of your reviews before you submit, if one gets rejected you can always try making some minor changes and submitting it again to see if gets approved by a different reviewer (or maybe it's the same person, just in a better mood that day!)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Not long ago I reviewed an HP ink cartridge on Amazon that was supposed to be in a "retail package".  It wasn't.   I wrote a scathing reviewing which was not approved.  I called customer service to vent some more.   They explained that my review didn't review the cartridge per se.

The good news is the vendor's product page for the cartridge was immediately removed due to deception.   (guess I got the last laugh).
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I agree completely. The manufacturers need to be held 100% liable for what they sell.
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Both the 20 and 21" mowers are disappointments in major areas. Last year when I only had the 20', I liked the cut but hated that it didn't have a 4" cut setting. This year bought the 21" mower and thought I'd be good to go because Ego had listened but I was wrong. I then had a 21" mower with a 4" cutting height that couldn't properly lift my grass in order to cut it so I upended up with a matted mess once my lawn hit full growth.

Now I'm back to the 20" mower. It works pretty good as long as my lawn doesn't get too tall.

I can't believe I'm saying this but yes, there is a shill or two for Ego posing as Champs on this board and I think you guys saw one by their posting but most are here to help as best they can.
(Edited)
Photo of Rob Falcipieri

Rob Falcipieri

Rob, you're absolutely right, I had the 21" purchased mainly to do the trim work and it did a rotten job lifting the grass. There are a few in here that always seem to urge people to look the other way when issue's arise. I returned mine, purchased a Ryobi 16" and it does a much better job.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
16", that sounds like an interesting size for trimming?  How do you cut the rest of your lawn?
Photo of Rob Falcipieri

Rob Falcipieri

I have a 42" rider.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I go away for a week and all heck breaks lose.  Champions (that I know of) have no affiliation with EGO except that we were customers early on and posted a lot of useful information for customers.  If you really look at our posts, you will see us criticize things, make recommendations, have problems, just like you. 

I'm a champion of trying to be helpful and fun at the same time.  That's all.  I'll leave the technical stuff to David and Blue.  I'm better at working my "engineering" skills on my wife  :)

(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

SCDC, I think you are one genuine in your posts. Same for Blue but there are other Champions who would make you swear they either own stock in Ego or work for them outright with the way they respond to people who post about issues with Ego equipment.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Aww, I just think it's personality.  Like emails, you can type something, but it all comes across wrong to the person reading it.  David (don't get offended David!) is pretty dry, but he's a smart guy.  He's no plant, I just think he gets a bit frustrated because he's such a technically minded person.  I believe he "feels your pain" but tries to give technical and back up information to ponder.  Jacob is the same way.  He's been busy with some new additions to his family (seen his posts).  Jacob is a cool guy, have you seen his Frankenstein inventions?  If I had a company with customers as smart as the ones on here, I would definitely tap them and give them a little text title so that they will try and help people who purchase my products.

I wouldn't bash those guys, I would tap them for information.  From what I've seen, when you start posting questions based on problems in a manner that begs to test their technical skills, another side of them kicks in and it gets pretty damned interesting!

Like "I got the 21" mower and my mulching isn't working very well, I know for some of you it's probably fine.  Can you help me try to get a better cut with the mower?  Any ideas?"

Now, that question will hit the brains of people who like to try things, and the responses would get very productive.  We could all get ideas on how to improve our cut, with any mower!

With any product, there will be something you don't like.  Luckily if purchased from HD, you practically have all summer to "try it out".  90 days is a LONG return period. 

Lawn tools are expensive, and it hits hard when you have a problem.  Tap these guys man, not tap out.  :)

Rob, you've posted a hell of a lot of good stuff.  To me, you are a Champion.

Photo of Rob

Rob

No, I tend to be very critical at times. If I see a problem, I go after it with both barrels. That's good or bad depending on which side of the table you sit.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Critical is fine Rob.  I'm glad no two people are the same.  I would go crazy if I had to deal with me.  Your still a Champ.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I used to be more openly critical too. It took a decade of that not working out very well in the business world to learn to bite my tongue. I've written plenty of brash, heated replies to have been stripped of my champion title and probably banned forever—I just never hit submit. ;-)
Photo of Rob

Rob

I too operate in a corporate climate and me saying what I feel has gotten me in hot water more than once. Companies talk a good deal but don't want to be criticized the way they should be when they are straight out wrong.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Oh man David.  I was about to say the same thing about "as I got older".  I used to be "That guy" that a customer service rep hated to deal with, because I was one argumentative SOB.  15 years ago I was a bull in a China shop. 

I've learned that nice has won far many more battles, was it the wife or kids that wore me out?

Glad you posted that, because I think that sentiment hits home to a LOT of us old timers.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I work in the Defense industry. Dealing with military people is interesting, and there is no shortage of people who speak their minds. If you deserve to hear something you certainly will! Makes for some fun meetings. :-)

Having said that, I must add emphasis to what SCDC mentioned above about the "tone" of written words. Sometimes a message is read in a completely different light from which it was written, with no real intention of that from the writer. Sometimes we try to be helpful and unintentionally come across as arrogant and abrasive...

Part of that rests on the reader as well, and keeping an open mind certainly helps. Internet forums can be dangerous places for those who are easily offended! :-)

I think this community is very beneficial overall. I know it's helped me out on many occasions. There are bound to be conflicts and differences of both opinion and personality, but as long as we are all mature about it we all win. And I have to say, compared to some of the other Internet forums I've taken part in, this is indeed a pretty mature group.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Michael, according to Home Depot’s policy, a diagnostic fee is required when the mower is sent for repair, then that fee is refunded if it is determined that the repair is covered by our 5-year warranty. It’s our policy to be very clear about these details when we direct an EGO customer to The Home Depot for service and we’re sorry that you were not made aware of this situation. If you continue to have problems regarding this repair, we invite you to call us so we can see what we can do to help. You can reach us at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) 8:30am – 8:00pm EST (Monday – Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday and Sunday).
(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

More explicitly, doesn't one have to go to a HD Rental dept?  I went there per instructions, was apprised of the $20 inspection fee and went on to discuss my problem with the "expert" for free.  No repairs have been made on any of my Ego products yet.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.