Manually pushing an LM2142SP or LM2020SP

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
I was looking to upgrade from my LM2001-X to achieve a higher height of cut (3.5 -> 4"), and am considering the 20" steel deck or 21" dual-battery mowers. I see both are now only available in self-propelled models.

How easy are these two models to use when pushed manually? Do they roll and otherwise operate the same as the non-SP models when the SP feature is dis-engaged?

I ask because I only have 5,300 sq ft of grass on not much slope so have not had any issue with my 20" manual in terms of effort.

(I'm not considering the 21" single-battery model only because if I do choose a mower without Peak Power I want the shorter nose, brushless mower, and striper compatibility to compensate!)
Photo of KJ

KJ

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 1,982 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I have the dual battery. It is very easy to push, but I can't compare it to anything since I've never used any of Ego's other mowers. If you're worried about the self-propel dragging when used manually, don't be :) For my money, the dual battery is worth more than the steel deck, so I don't know why they cost the same.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,770 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I do not have the dual battery 2142 model, but my single battery with SP rolls great without the SP engaged.  I rarely use the SP feature and the mower rolls and works great.
My wife and son use the SP feature constantly when they use the mower.  So, it works great either way.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 10,154 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It is fine to push.  I only engage SP when I'm on a hill, or lazy.... plus, longer mow time if you aren't burning batt with SP.  
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 986 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

I have a 2020sp on a 6000 sq foot lot (half covered with buildings) and I almost never use the SP.    I dont sense any drag or anything when SP is not engaged if that's what you are worried about.  

Frankly the SP feature seems a little half-baked anyway (I find it tiresome trying to time engaging and disengaging it to compensate for the anti-rollback safety feature and the startup delay).

On the other hand, its hard to not buy SP when its only a few bucks more and who knows if you'll want it someday.   I might still buy SP if I had to do it over again.

Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,510 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
If you're getting older like I am, every day - it's better to have it and not need it than later wish you had it.
Photo of KJ

KJ

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks so much everyone for their input! I’ll make a decision irrespective of the SP.