Loud fan on standard charger. Is this normal?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Answered
I have the standard charger for my 2.5 ah battery. Plugged in new first time today for first charge and the fan was annoyingly loud. Is this normal? When I held it up vertical while charging it was quiet. Am worried it might be defective.
Photo of apohopper

apohopper

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

• 2,676 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
There are actually 2 fans in the charger and they can be a bit loud.
Photo of TK

TK

• 4,136 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

It is loud, that way you know when it has completed charge.

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,726 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I like them, reminds me of when I'm sitting in a jet on the runway after the engines crank.  Makes me sleepy.  In fact they sound just like that.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,590 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
apohopper, if the fans change from "annoyingly loud" to "somewhat normal" simply by tilting the charger at a different angle, then something's not right.

I doubt the fan itself is actually defective, it's most likely just not being held tightly inside the charger body allowing the fan to vibrate. I experienced this on one of my standard chargers, and putting a piece of felt between the fan and case solved the problem.

Doing that requires special Security Torx screwdrivers and could technically cancel your warranty, so I would recommend most people to just call Ego CS and have them send you a new charger. I'm sure your current charger will work just fine, just annoyingly loud, until the new quieter one shows up.

The charger fan does come on at full speed when you first insert the battery, but ramps down after several seconds to a dull roar. :-)
Photo of Dennis Petrospour

Dennis Petrospour

• 60 Points
I just got one too. It's annoyingly loud. That's normal?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 68,962 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Annoying is subjective. I don't find it to be, but I charge my batteries in my garage when I'm not around, so the cooling fan makes no difference to me.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,354 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
As Ken says, subjective. Mine are also in the garage so any fan noise doesn't really bother me either. It would be interesting to see and hear a  video of what you are experiencing. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,894 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
They are louder than the average charger I would say, but that is a good thing as heat is the enemy of all batteries.  Just something that comes with a charger that is doing a better job than most.