LM2142SP with dual 5.0, or mixing 5.0 and 7.5? Looking for maximum power when cutting damp grass

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • In Progress
I am looking seriously at the LM2142SP mower that comes with the dual 5.0 batteries and supports the use of 2 batteries. Originally I was pretty sold on the LM2100SP, but my current Toro get bogged down a dozen + times on my lush lawn in the midwest. Nothing is more frustrating for me then the thing dying and dumping all the mulch clips out and having to restart.

I have been hesitant on the electric front because for me I want the power to just rip through my yard without sacrificing. When I saw the dual battery mower I think it will fit the bill. It comes with the dual 5.0 Ah batteries, and I know it says that it'll provide more torque and power then then 7.5 LM2100SP. I am also in need of a blower, so I thought about getting the backpack unit that has the 7.5 Ah battery.

I know the mower can accept two different size batteries. I am just wondering if it downgrades ot the smallest battery, or if adding a 7.5 Ah into the mix (with one of the 5.0 Ah) will provide even more torque and cutting power?

I usually like to keep my grass pretty short (nothing crazy), and mow once a week. My Toro 8yo definitely struggles and chokes when mulching in the spring (especially). My neighbor has the 2100SP and loves it- slightly larger yard and needs 2 batteries to finish. I am not worried about run time, I have 1/4 acre lawn with a lot of landscaping, so assume smaller. My focus is pure power. Need to know if missing a 7.5 with a 5.0 will yield better results then just running the dual 5.0. I would only get the 7.5 with the back pack blower, and I wouldn't be buying a 2nd battery now. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Photo of Thomas

Thomas

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,660 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You will be fine. And bigger batts are always good. My lawns are super lush in the spring and we even mow 1/4 mile of rough, burdock and thistle infested paths out back. The only time my single batt mower ever bogged down was trying to thoughtlessly cut a new path through knee high wet grass in a never mown area. I think you will be pleased, and if not you can always return it.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,032 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I do not think a 7.5 plus a 5.0 will generate more power or torque - there is a limit to the power generated.  But it would give you a little longer run time.
Going the other way the mower will work with any Ego battery, but not sure you will get the best performance or that it would be the best for long term battery life to use a 2.0 or 2.5 in combination with a 5.0.  Just not enough cells to generate the power and/or spread out the power draw.

And as Prairiedog pointed out - buy it from HD and you have 90 days to test it out and decide if it works for you.  If not just return to HD for a refund.

Photo of Thomas

Thomas

Gotcha, that is what I was concerned with. I don't really need more run time- mowing for me usually takes a total of 30 minutes (unless I am dealing with constant clumping). My main focus is just making sure I give the motor as much power as possible to mulch well. Coming from gas, although I think my Toro's engine is a bit undersized for what I want, I usually expect just add more HP/cc's and it'll power through more and more non-ideal conditions. 

Since I needed a blower anyways, I thought about getting either the backpack unit with 7.5 (giving me access to a 7.5 Ah battery), or a more traditional hand held with a 2.5 or 5 Ah battery (or no additional battery). Thought there was if the 7.5 came with it, I could use it on the mower for added power. If I won't get more cutting power (not duration) I don't really need the 7.5, which means the backpack isn't really needed. Never wanted to buy a battery separate from the device since there seems to be a pretty hefty premium on the batteries alone.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,660 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
My feeling is you can never have too much battery.  Run time is affected by how hard the mower is working.  It will ramp up the torque when it hits heavy resistance to keep powering through without bogging down.  So if your lawn is so thick it is ramping up frequently to get through dense stuff, then that could eat into your run time, also if you are engaging the self-propel feature at lot.  Frankly with all the other tools that can use the batteries, the back pack to score a 7.5 is a great idea, plus as you saw when you buy a kit you almost get the tool or batt for free.  
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Also, I have heard EGOs high lift blade is good for mulching, so that’s also something to look at .
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I’ve only heard about High Lift Blade, I’m looking into getting one to see if it helps cut a little better, but no real complaints on the original one. I’ve seen video clips of EGO 2 batt cut down waist high grass but I think both batt were 7.5.
Photo of Thomas

Thomas

I don't think the blade is different between the single and dual batt models- just 20 vs 21". I just thought the 21" high lift was possibly not good on the mulching side. I think they have a high lift 20 and a high lift 21 blade- separate parts.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 102,462 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Results with different blades vary by lawn type and mowing habits and personal preferences.

Facts are the standard blade is design as a dual purpose for mulching or bagging.

The HL blade is designed (and does) create more lift.  This is designed to help with bagging.  Some find they also get better mulching results.

Personally, I get better mulching results with the standard blade.

So, it is something you will need to try for yourself to make the final determination.  Start with the standard blade that is included and then try the HL blade if you feel the need.

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,348 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
We have the hi-lift blade on one and a regular on the other (we have two mowers to save time, we mow about 2 acres plus the paths I mentioned above.) I find the high lift mulches just fine for our purposes.  
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 102,462 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The AB2101 HL blade works with the LM2142 mower per the owners manual.