LM2135SP

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Ok, I feel really silly for asking this but.... I just purchased the LM2135SP.  This is my first battery powered mower.  I have taken it out of the box, assembled it, charged the battery, followed start up instructions and the mower will propel but it is not cutting.  It appears the blades are not turning.  Does something need to happen to the blades before the first use?  Am I doing something wrong?  I followed the instructions in the manual for starting the mower with blades on.
Photo of Shelly

Shelly

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 83,354 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
So the buttons for the sp are not for the blades. The sp buttons only operate sp. In order to operate the blades you need to press the big green button at the handlebar, while holding that button you need to pull on the bale. There is a very slight delay and the blades will start. Once the blades are running you can release the big green button and just hold the bale. Note that any time you stop the blades you need to perform the same sequence again to restart the blades. Push button. While holding button pull bale. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

HTH
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 20,928 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Did you push green button and pull back on the bale? That's what engages the power to the blade.
Photo of OLUKAYODE OYEDEJI

OLUKAYODE OYEDEJI

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
You may be trying to cut too low. Try adjusting the cutting height. The grass may simply be too thick. Try cutting from thinner sides or using the height level from highest level and then come around again with a lower level. Make sure your machine is turned on. Remove the battery wait 2 minutes and put it back in, then restart. Wait for the motor to fully run before your start cutting you will hear the sound going from very slow to very fast. It will take about 10-20 seconds, then begin to cut following the above steps. Hope this works out for you. I have used this machine for about 5 years in case you are wondering. It is the best there is.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 78,496 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Technically Shelly's machine (dual blade) is a new release this year. However, the starting sequence is the same as earlier models for sure.
Photo of Shelly

Shelly

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The grass is not the issue this time.  Was on the sidewalk making sure everything was good before pushing into the grass.
Photo of Robert Roetto

Robert Roetto

• 70 Points
same thing with me .push the power button down.and pull.the bale back, it takes about 2 seconds, but it engage the blades.
EGO really needs to work on this situation of starting the mower kinda akwatd to start.
hope this helped.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 20,068 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Robert, the 1st cordless mower I had required exactly the same sequence to start the blade. It's a safety function, so that the blade isn't accidentally started. After awhile, it will be second nature.
(Edited)
Photo of Shelly

Shelly

I was pushing and holding the green button while holding the bale.  Maybe I didn't hold the button down long enough?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
very possible.  Do not let go of the button until the blades start spinning.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 83,354 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You need to push and hold the button, then pull the bale while holding the button. Not the other way 'round.

Also, as Olukayode commented, make sure you aren't trying to start it in too thick of grass. You can test that by backing the mower off to the sidewalk, driveway, etc and try starting the blades. 
Photo of Shelly

Shelly

I will try that.

To address the too thick comment, I wasn't on the grass yet.  I was on the sidewalk preparing to mow.  Wanted to make sure everything was good before I pushed it into the grass.
Photo of mike Arnold

mike Arnold

• 680 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  I just got mine today and found if the handle isn't extended all the way the blade won't start. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
that is correct - handle must be fully extended.
Photo of Shelly

Shelly

My problem turned out to be not holding the green button down long enough.  Thank you everybody.
Photo of Shelly

Shelly

After more than an hour on hold I left a message.  I'm hoping somebody will call me back and arrange an exchange.  Currently beyond disappointed in the quality of this product for the price!
Photo of Robert Roetto

Robert Roetto

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
raise the deck up 1 notch in higher grass
Push the button and bring the bar about half way, then the whole way , blades will start, it's a little tricky.
Photo of Shelly

Shelly

Unfortunately that is not my problem. I was not even in the grass yet. There appears to be a problem with the mower. Waiting for somebody to contact me back for either return or exchange. Very disappointed.
Photo of incognito

incognito

• 568 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
LOL, so user error.
Photo of Shelly

Shelly

No, the mower is defective and being exchanged