LM2124 on single 7.5 Ah battery, and ability to push faster than self-propelled speed?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Does the dual-battery LM2124 still have the same power on a single 7.5 Ah battery as it does with dual batteries, just with reduced runtime? I only have just over 5k sq ft of lawn and could use the extra power — but not the extra runtime — over my LM2001-X.

Also, is it easy to push the mower faster than the self-propelled speed? I’m thinking here of using the SP to reduce effort, not supplant it, the idea being that I wouldn’t have to keep adjusting the speed when going around oddly-shaped areas.
Photo of KJ

KJ

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,770 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Two 5.0 batteries would be able to produce more power than one 7.5 battery.
Not sure if that would be noticeable or how often it would occur when mowing.

Also, with more cells to draw from it would put less stress on the cells when using two 5.0 batteries

You can easily push the mower without the SP engaged.  I have never tried to push faster than the SP when engaged so I am not sure how that would work.  I do not think it would work well as the gears are engaged, but again never tried it.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,592 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
KJ

I use two 7.5 ah batteries in my Ego Lawn mower and when I put the sp on high, I have to run to keep up with it.  When you cut your grass do you run while pushing your lawn mower?  If you do, you might not be receiving a good cut.
Photo of KJ

KJ

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
In general, I don't have much of a slope but the section I do I've ripped up young seedlings when I slipped on wet soil. So I was thinking of putting the SP on the slowest setting just to give a slight boost when I need it most, but otherwise go at my normal pace.
I'm probably overthinking this. It sounds like everyone uses SP as much as possible.

Thanks for chiming in.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 11,100 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
You can certainly use the mower as a push model without engaging the self propel feature. I've never tried pushing it  when using the self propel feature, so I can't say how that would work (I'll try it next time I mow).

I'd suggest just engaging the self propel when you want it, and push the mower other times when you don't want to use the SP feature. The self propel lever is easy to engage/disengage with a single (right) hand on my 21" SP plastic deck model.