LM2102SP or LM2142SP

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
I am looking at both the LM2102SP and LM2142SP models.  The LM2102SP  comes with a 7.5Ah battery and the LM2142SP comes with two 5.0Ah batteries.   I have a small yard, and so the extra mowing time afforded by the dual battery model is not something I really need.  And so my question is about the relative mowing power of the two models.  All else being equal, one 7.5Ah battery should deliver more power than one 5.0Ah battery, right?  Does the dual battery LM2142SP (which is brushless) simply allow you to mow longer than the single battery LM2102SP (brushed)?  Or is the dual battery model able to use both 5.0Ah batteries at the same time to deliver more power than a single 7.5Ah battery?  I'm worried that if the extra battery is just to increase mowing time, not mowing power, that the LM2142SP will be less powerful than the LM2102SP.  But the dual is brushless whereas the other one is not, and I don't know how much difference that makes.  As the dual model is quite a lot more expensive, I'd like to know whether or not it is at least as powerful as the single battery model before deciding to buy it.
Photo of Christopher Harrop

Christopher Harrop

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 99,470 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The Ego PeakPower technology combines the power of 2 EGO batteries for longer run time AND efficient power draw

The motor on the new dual battery mower is brushless and does provide more power in addition to more run time.  Per Ego engineering department

It has the most powerful brushless motor in the entire EGO mower line (1200W BL motor is much, much more powerful than the 1000W Brushed motor on the LM2100SP). With peak power tech (drain more current from the battery), these two combines generate much more torque than any EGO mower in the market and it actually is the most powerful cordless mower in the market now.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,532 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have talked about this numerous times in the forum.  I have a dual battery and also a single battery.  There is no comparison.  The dual battery has more useful power and a lot more torque.  It never over heats and the batteries never over heat.  I have a lots of grades and now I can go faster and not worrying about the orange light turning on.  I also cut thick 31/2" Kentucky blue grass.  I use two 7.5 ah batteries.  You can use a 7.5 ah with a 5.0 ah if you want.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,440 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I have the original LM2102SP and have never needed more power than it has.  (I did upgrade to the high lift blade for $20 to get more "updraft")

Yes, sometimes if I'm cutting grass that I let grow for two weeks I may have to adjust the speed control down from full speed, but under all "normal" weekly mowing conditions it has plenty of power to cut at full speed. (And full speed is a very fast walk...)

I have had the self propel unit fail on it (replaced under warranty), so perhaps the LM2142SP model has a more robust self propel unit, and it does have more batteries and a stronger "brushless" blade motor, but given the cost, and the fact you have a small lawn, I'd recommend saving the money and getting the LM2102SP.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Does anyone besides myself on this forum have an Ego dual battery lawn mower (LM2142SP)? 
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

• 1,850 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I am planning on getting one if I can find a deal.
Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 1,644 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I just bought one, in part due to your previous comment above here Bill! Have zero complaints so far after two mowings. The self-propel feature doesn't have the lock-up issue I've seen on the single battery versions...at least not yet.
Photo of Christopher Harrop

Christopher Harrop

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for the helpful responses.  Aside from the issue of power, I much prefer a brushless motor vs a brushed one.  It's clear to me now that I want the dual battery model.  Now I just have to decide whether the extra cost is worth it to me personally.  
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
If you can afford it, it would be worth it in the long run.  It doesn't have to work as hard as the single battery lawn mower.  It should last a lot longer due to the power and brushless motor.  Whatever you decide, good luck.
Photo of Robert DelRaso

Robert DelRaso

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Both of these lawn mowers run great - over 60 minutes with model  LM2102SP. and over 90 minutes with the model LM2142SP    - what really matters is how the owner take cares his equipment.  For example EGO explains in the manual when you get through cutting the lawn - you should clean out the bottom of the lawn mower - removing all the wasted grass and then you can use your EGO blower - blow off any wasted grass on the your mower.  It's like anything in life -  you take good care of your lawn mower - your lawn mower will take good care of your yard (common sense).

So if your a person who don't like cleaning up after you get through cutting lawn then get the model LM2142SP  but if your a person who likes taking care your lawn mower after cutting the yard then the model  LM2102SP will do fine for you.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 8,858 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The only time I've gotten 60 minutes of runtime was when I was only chopping a 1/4" off the top of slow growing grass in January. I think that 25-30 minutes of runtime on a 7.5AH battery is more realistic for "real" mowing (e.g. once a week of fast growing grass in Florida).
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 87,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Robert I was with you on the taking care of your equipment. But you lost me when you said one mower needs to be cleaned and the other does not. That makes no sense or I missed your point.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 87,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I get 45 - 60 minutes runtime from my 7.5 in my lm2102sp
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 964 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I am considering the same items due to my need, except other than the dual battery I have purchased the steel deck which apparently has the same motor as the dual battery model (the newer brushless design).  I wish there were more specs.  If you take what the official response:

"The Ego PeakPower technology combines the power of 2 EGO batteries for longer run time AND efficient power draw. The motor on the new dual battery mower is brushless and does provide more power in addition to more run time.  Per Ego engineering department"

It states AND efficient power draw which states it is more efficient, not necessarily more powerful.  the second part is just stating that the new brushless motor is more powerful, which I understand is true over the prior motor rating of the non brushless motor and not necessarily running "more powerful" due to the dual batteries.  

If it doubled the current then run times would not be longer per se.  Details and specs on this issue would surely help in making a decision based on facts.    
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

I think no matter what I say, your trying to convince yourself that the single battery motor has the same torque and power.  Believe me it doesn't,  I have both and can compare the two.  It is a big difference.  I sent you the youtube video on this lawn mower.  If you don't believe me or the youtube video there is probably nothing anybody can tell you to convince you.  I guess what I am telling you are not facts!!!!.  It looks like I am the only owner on this site that has this two battery lawn mower.  That's too bad.  At least Ego can get rid of their stock of single battery lawn mowers.  On Sunday I mowed our lawn (860sq. feet).  I have thick Kentucky blue grass and cut it at 31/2 inches.  Our lawn has may different grades.  I now can run our lawn mower at a higher speed and it never over heats. I finished in less that an hour and charged the batteries on two different rapid chargers.  Both batteries charged in 15 minutes which shows me that they are both being used at the same time (more efficient draw of current). I use two 7.5ah batteries which is probably an overkill.  Do you really think that Ego is going to tell you that the dual battery lawn mower is a lot better that the one you bought.  I don't think so.  I have a 2018 M550 BMW which is a v8 with twin turbo chargers.  The BMW 540i has a single turbo.  Due you think they have the same power and torque. 
Photo of Max Nguyen

Max Nguyen

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It also looks like you're the only one that has both to compare.   Would you say that the new dual battery mulches better  and leaves less clumped grass?  Also less uncut grass here and there?   
Photo of IMOW

IMOW

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The steel deck self propelled is a brushless motor 1000w the dual battery has the brushless 1200w motor. The dual battery motor is the strongest motor in line up. (I have a single battery mower)
Photo of Ken

Ken

I am by no means calling you a liar or discounting what you are saying, in fact, I am thankful that someone has some information on the topic. All I am looking for as a consumer would be info available like the example you mention. If I’m buying a BMW, BMW does post HP and torque numbers so the buyer can make a decision in both feel and fact when making a purchase, that’s all.

One is not necessarily better than the other, it’s more important that it fits your need. I personally would like to know if there is a substantial “power” difference per specs between the same motors but dual vs single battery and then I the consumer, can make a decision.

Sorry if it affended you, that was not my intent. I think EGO has the best product out there from what I have read but I’m just trying to understand what I am buying and what fits my need the best.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,522 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Ken,

An electric motor is obviously not the same as a gasoline motor in terms of torque and horsepower.  The advantage of the dual battery is that they don't have the same power draw as a single battery and therefore you get longer running times, more torque and less likely to overheat.  The engine is less likely to overheat because the extra current the two batteries are sending to the motor.  I don't know if that explains it.  All I can say it is like night and day between my single battery and dual battery.  It is just more efficient. I guess it is like comparing a 12 gauge extension cord with a 14 gauge extension cord.  My motor in my 30 gallon air compressor could burn up if the use a14 gauge extension cord because it limits the amperage to the electric motor.  Another example is most electric cars that are sold have optional larger batteries if you want longer running times.  As the battery runs down on these cars their 0 to 60mph time get slower, which means they are losing power and torque.  If you did purchase the dual battery lawn mower you will be a happy mower.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 97,266 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
William

With the single battery mower, did you ever have cut grass left behind where it was visible and not mulched enough to fall into the grass and out of sight.
If so, did the dual battery mower alleviate this issue?
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Yes it did.  What is amazing about this lawn mower is how fast I can go while still cutting the lawn very well and never having the orange light coming on. I think the 7.5ah batteries may have something to do with it.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

If you could do a video (or just pictures) showing that difference - that would convince a lot of people and the dual battery mower would have a lot of new fans.
Photo of Ken

Ken

I would love to see that as well, or better yet, one of the major you tube reviewers do a test on the that mower with one battery, and then with two batteries installed.  I would love to see if there is more blade RPM or torque (not sure how that could get measured but I'm sure there is a way) to see a measurable difference.  I would buy it in a heart beat over the other one, but that is the tough thing about this product line.  
You can't see many of the items in person as the Home Depot display is usually pretty small, and EGO (a lot of electric tools) do not have a standard in the industry that would translate in to HP, torque, etc.  
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Really!!!!  I am finish trying to convince people about how good this lawn mower is.  Now, I must do a video  to convince people that not full of sh....!  I have better things to do.  Ask Ego to do a video.  I am not on their sales team.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Not saying I do not believe your posts William.  I am convinced.

I was just saying a picture is worth a thousand words and it would be cool to see a side by side.  As you are the only guy I know with both mowers, I suggested it to you.  If that kind of thing doesn't interest you and you don't find it to be fun, then no worries - you don't owe me anything - I was just throwing it out there.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Because I retired as a Detective from the Los Angeles Police Department, I can read people pretty well.  Ken was trying to convince himself that he bought the right lawn mower and in doing so he is trying to prove a point.  I really don't care if anyone buys this lawnmower.  It is not my responsibility to convince people that this is Ego's best lawn mower.  That is Ego's job.  I know that you (szwoopp) probably are convince that this is Ego's best lawn mower, by the comments you have made.  But there are other people, no matter what they see or read will believe that they are right and made the right choice. I have no problem with that.  No one had to convince me that this would be a better lawn mower because I did my homework.  On numerous occasions, I listed the video link where they tested this lawn mower.  As you say, a picture or video is worth a thousand words.  I wonder if anyone took the time to look at that video.
Photo of Ken

Ken

Appreciate your time WM but I not trying to convince myself of anything, other than wanting to purchased the best tool for my $$.  EGO has been very vague on their phrasing of what the dual battery mower is capable of when is comes to additional power or torque.  I emailed EGO with specific questions on the matter and got the same marketing BS general answer, with no details of spec.  I am sure it has  "longer run time AND efficient power draw", but those two are not the items that would make me change from the steel deck to this mower.  I am also confident that  "mower is brushless and does provide more power in addition to more run time", the more power is relating to what, the other new brushless motor or the older models?

IF the dual battery mower has more torque and power when needed, it would be a better buy for my use, however if it does not, I like the other benefits of the steel deck with the side discharge and shorter nose.  One is not better for everyone, I'm just a guy trying to spend my $$ for what I feel is the best use for my lawn and when the MFG can't answer my questions, it makes question if we are stumbling over marketing terms.   

If EGO won't put out the information, hopefully someone will do a video on one some day as I am sure many people are interested.  Enjoy your mower.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Ken have you watched this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd85zB-59Wo

Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

New Dual Battery Mower - This NEW Dual Battery EGO 21" Self-Propelled mower provides longer run time not only because it has multiple batteries!  This the EGO's first BRUSHLESS lawn mower.  You will not see the word brushless on this lawnmower but rest assured it is.   This lawn mower operated very similar to the dual battery snow blower with what EGO calls PeakPower technology.  Basically, the PeakPower technology can determine what battery or batteries (It can run off a single battery) you have in the lawn mower and the software determines the most efficient power draw.  This allows users to use multiple batteries for long runtimes and more torque or the ability to run one battery while the other charges.  While this new model looks and feels almost exactly like the single battery 21" lawn mower, the difference lies in the motor and the torque it can provide.  With two 5.0Ah batteries, one can see upwards of 40% more torque from this unit.  that allows you to run some of the upgrades we list below with little effect on runtime!

This is an expensive unit, due mostly to the cost of the two batteries if you buy the kit.  But if you are wanting a nice, powerful and quiet lawn mower to tackle larger lawns, look no further, this is it.

What is PeakPower Technology?
This new mower is the second tool from EGO that will run on a single battery or also capable of running off two batteries.  EGO calls this technology PeakPower and it is software that is capable of detecting the size of the batteries in the tool.  Obviously, the larger the battery, or batteries, the better it will perform.  The software will look at the number of cells (battery pack size) that is can pull power from and adjust the amps drawn from the battery, or batteries for optimal performance.  This gives the user options if a battery was forgotten to be charged or if one were to possibly go bad.  We found that there is little difference between running the unit with a 7.5Ah single battery or two 5.0Ah batteries, but all of our testing was done with the two 5.0Ah batteries that came in the kit.

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Other than the statement that this is Ego's first brushless mower, everything else is accurate.  Previously the steel deck mowers had brushless motors. 

This is Egos first composite deck mower with a brushless motor would be the accurate statement about this mower and its motor.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

I just copied a pasted the narrative under the video.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Understood William.  I knew that was not your commentary.
I posted the same correction in the video comments on the you tube page.
As everyone is looking for accurate info on this new mower I thought it might be helpful and avoid confusion.
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

• 1,076 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I know this is an older thread but for someone else looking for info I thought I would add to it. I originally ordered the steel deck mower and that was because I thought that the brushless motor on the steel deck and dual battery were the same. Obviously that is not the case. Also, it looks like the dual has an improved propulsion drive. Given the extra 200 watts, improved propulsion drive and the extra 2.5 ah of runtime for the same price, I decided to order the dual and return the steel deck. The steel deck is sitting unopened in my Jeep and I am returning it tomorrow and picking up the dual at Home Depot. I will review it and put it on my YouTube page and post the link when complete. If anyone has a specific request about it let me know.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Does the increased power mean it kicks into the high RPM mode more often.
or
Does it not need the high RPM mode and the increased power lets it do more at its standard mode.
Both of the above mostly in regards to thicker patches of grass and clippings left behind.
Bill has posted some very positive reviews, but a second opinion is always a plus.
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

• 1,848 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I would be interested in knowing if there is a difference in torque at low/high speed compared to the single battery brushed version.
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

I just brought the mower home from home depot so I haven't used it yet.  I also returned the metal deck and never opened the box because it would've been a hassle (even if I was doing it for science) As you suggested, these mowers "ramp up" to contend with higher demand situations.  What I don't know is whether that function is gradual and subtle or if it is noticeable and is sustained past the point where it is needed.  I'm hoping it's the former.  I will report what I find.  

As far as the torque goes, I can confidently answer that without using the mower.  The dual battery mower has 200 more watts than the metal deck.  That fundamentally means it will be more powerful and with more torque if you do the math given watts and RPMs, the metal deck has about 2.34lbs ft torque vs the dual batteries 3 lb ft of torque.

I know there has been discussion on here about "peak power" technology and the like but I think its silly to buy into any companies marketing jargon.  There was a class action law suit against the gas mower companies for this very thing. It's only a matter of time before electric tools are held to a universal standard.  Saying that the mowers are as powerful as gas is really misleading unless you are comparing it to a weed wacker, otherwise, that claim is patently false 99% of the time.  

Lithium Ion batteries typical maintain their power band as opposed to nickel metal hydride.  I won't say that's in every instance because I don't confirm anything without hooking it up to testing equipment.  That said, I would guess that the dual battery aspect is only important in that it combined the amp hours of two batteries and the built in processor can draw from them in an efficient manner.  That doesn't mean that two batteries make it more powerful unless you want to argue that at the very end of a charge a single battery mower will lose a percentage of power before it goes dead.  I don't think that is very relevant.  Instead, I would focus on the fact that the dual mower has a higher wattage (20%) and therefore is going to be 20% more powerful if you look at the torque figures that theory is pretty much confirmed.

In the end it all depends on if a particular tool works for a particular person.  There are people who say the base model mower is the greatest thing ever and some say it sucks so all you can do it make an educated guess.  I am going to test this thing out this weekend on grass I have intentionally left uncut for almost two weeks so I will put it through its paces.  However, even if there are no issues it won't change what has already been discussed 100 times.  Electric mowers are great because there is no maintenance, quieter, lighter, etc.  But they aren't as powerful (despite the promo language, in fact about half the torque of my midlevel gas mower), cost twice as much and they take forever to repair (unless you can do it yourself).  Meanwhile, any idiot can keep a gas mower going for decades.  
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

Can't wait to hear your "official" review
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Yea right. I’m more likely to be removed from this forum for insubordination than to receive a stamp of approval. Haha. Just remember that anything that comes from me will be heavily weighted on the side of information dissemination as opposed to production value.. ..
Photo of Ken

Ken

Slaw, I went through the same process you have, purchasing the steel deck and returning it for the dual battery version. I have 10,000 ft.2 of Midwest lawn consisting of fescue, blue grass and a section of zoysia. It easily cuts my size of lawn on a single charge. I have a couple of videos on the two mowers but haven’t found a way to share them here on the site.

I too found that I upset all of the EGO fans on this site when I criticized EGOs lack of disclosure in specs between their models at the time as I was trying to make a decision between electric mowers and mowers within the ego line.

Overall, I really like the mower, but it is not as powerful as a gas mower. The bonus is that my wife and kids can easily use the unit and they all comment that they love how light it is vs the gas mower. The other pluses include storage in a small footprint, no gas, ease of use, plastic deck underneath stays very clean, etc.

I have had to cut my grass in the spring a couple of times in a row when I have let it grow too tall due to constant rain which prohibited a weekly cut. I usually cut in pre growth spring at a level 2 prior to putting down fertilizer and then level3 for spring and sometimes level4 when it gets really hot out as I do not have an irrigation system. I have had a time where I had to cut it at a 4 and then a 3 since the mower would overheat and shut off with a red light. This has only happened once or twice due to weather and fertilizing periods of the year. The majority of the year, a weekly cut and it does just fine. In all honesty, the gas mower would if cut in these times, BUT it also would of left a lot of clumps if grass due to the amount being cut off.

I do hand sharpen the blade every third cut or so as I feel the light weight blade does not hold an edge like a heavy gas mower blade. Not a big deal as it is really easy to take off and sharpen by hand, but it is not indestructible like a gas mower blade.

Overall I like the mower.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken

Photo of Slaw

Slaw

The steel deck looks sharp. We have basically the same lawn. The other thing I forgot to mention was the purported improved propulsion drive. The steel deck had the old one.

I bought the high lift blade as well. I believe it’s heavier so maybe if I sharpen the crap out of it, the combo of the bigger motor and blade will carry through the tall grass that you were getting caught up on. Like I said, I have very tall grass right now so we will find out!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Thanks for the info Ken

Slaw the high speed change for thicker grass is a one step - noticeable sound difference - back to normal speed when no longer needed system.  At least on the single battery mowers.

The peak power technology was explained by an Ego engineer (not marketing department) as able to drain more current from the batteries and thus provide power/torque.

The high lift blade is intended for bagging, although some have said they got better mulching results.  But, mulching is not what it was designed for.
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Thanks for the clarification on the response to the change in load. The peak power explanation still doesn’t make sense to me unless you are saying that the current in the single battery mowers is restrained. If that is the case what they are saying is that the current draw from a single battery is not enough to meet the higher torque demands.

Usually a battery has to have a current rating higher than that of the motor otherwise it can explode. It would be interesting to deconstruct both brushless motors to see if there is a spec plate on them that says what the wattage is. I wonder if both motors are rated for 1200 watts but they can only claim 1000 on the metal deck due to the current limitations. (Oregon Mike, we know that could void the warranty, haha)
Photo of IMOW

IMOW

my dad and i have both had the regular self propelled model and the dual battery model. Both were returned. The cut quality is not there. We mow Bermuda about 2.5 inchs tall. We are now going to try the steel deck and see what it does. Also the motor on the dual battery consistently going up and down in rpm. Grass was mowed twice a week so i know it was not a issue of grass being to tall.
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

"The cut quality is not there" - can you be more specific please?
Photo of matthew stevens

matthew stevens

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Just the stragglers. Don’t think about mowing tall stuff. But even in only taking 1/4 half inch off a time stragglers were always there. We ran it side by side my Honda mower for comparison.
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

I see. Thanks for the info. I am going to pick one up within a few days and will report back my findings here!
(Edited)
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Good. Does that mean that now I don’t have to do it?
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

EGO’s Representative sent this statement out in 2018.

Hello EGO Community! We’d like to take this opportunity to clear the air regarding our new Dual Battery Mower. Since there has been a great deal of interest and a bit of confusion surrounding this mower, let’s jump into the facts straightaway.

-This mower’s motor is brushless.
-This mower is rated at 1200W.
-This mower’s PeakPowerTM technology delivers more torque, longer run times, and a more efficient power draw.
-This is the most powerful brushless motor in the entire EGO Power+ mower lineup.

You’ll want to note that all of these statements have been confirmed by our engineering team. Also, the Steel Deck Self-Propelled Mower is rated at 1000W. Our apologies for any misunderstanding. 

Watch this video regarding the Ego dual battery lawn mower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd85zB-59Wo

Link to the EGO High Lift Blade we talk about: https://amzn.to/2NpzyxQ Price the EGO Dual
Battery 21" Mower on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2OKT8VM New Dual Battery
Mower - This NEW Dual Battery EGO 21" Self-Propelled mower provides longer
run time not only because it has multiple batteries!  This the EGO's first
BRUSHLESS lawn mower.  You will not see the word brushless on this
lawnmower but rest assured it is.   This lawn mower operated very
similar to the dual battery snow blower with what EGO calls PeakPower
technology.  Basically, the PeakPower technology can determine what
battery or batteries (It can run off a single battery) you have in the lawn
mower and the software determines the most efficient power draw.  This
allows users to use multiple batteries for long runtimes and more torque or the
ability to run one battery while the other charges.  While this new model
looks and feels almost exactly like the single battery 21" lawn mower, the
difference lies in the motor and the torque it can provide.  With two
5.0Ah batteries, one can see upwards of 40% more torque from this unit. 
that allows you to run some of the upgrades we list below with little effect on
runtime! This is an expensive unit, due mostly to the cost of the two batteries
if you buy the kit.  But if you are wanting a nice, powerful and quiet
lawn mower to tackle larger lawns, look no further, this is it. What
is PeakPower Technology? This new mower is the second tool from EGO that
will run on a single battery or also capable of running off two batteries.
 EGO calls this technology PeakPower and it is software that is capable of
detecting the size of the batteries in the tool.  Obviously, the larger
the battery, or batteries, the better it will perform.  The software will
look at the number of cells (battery pack size) that is can pull power from and
adjust the amps drawn from the battery, or batteries for optimal
performance.  This gives the user options if a battery was forgotten to be
charged or if one were to possibly go bad.  We found that there is little
difference between running the unit with a 7.5Ah single battery or two 5.0Ah
batteries, but all of our testing was done with the two 5.0Ah batteries that
came in the kit. LM2142SP Features 21 self-propelled mower Features PeakPower
technology for more Torque Bare tool or with (2) 5.0Ah batteries and charger
Variable speed control for Self-Propulsion Single lever 6-position deck height
adjustment Compatible with any EGO 56-Volt battery Folds easily for compact
storage LED headlights 5-year limited warranty Why Go Battery Powered? The
largest benefits of a battery operated lawn mower are the lack of pull
starting, lack of buying gas, lack of changing oil and a significant decrease
in noise.  While testing out battery operated lawn mowers, Jeff and I are
able to have conversations without yelling.  Try that with any gas-powered
lawn mower and you will be screaming at each other and most of the time not
understanding all that is said.  The largest downside to a battery-powered
unit is, or was runtime.  Prior to this model, the average runtime we
would see with the single battery EGO was around 45-minutes.  With this
new unit, one will easily see 75-minutes while mowing a normal lawn.  Many
people start to look at a small tractor at the point where they are mowing a
lawn for over an hour and a half. This small battery operated unit opens the
door for commercial contractors to use this unit for trimming.  The
runtime will easily allow for its use on and off while trimming for a normal
workday. Upgrades We have found that is very thin stranded grass that is cut at
more than 3" that there can be strands of grass left uncut. 
This is because the blades on most battery-powered lawn mowers are designed for
runtime, not lift.  There is a high lift blade available from EGO that
will lift the grass and cut better, but it will slightly reduce the runtime of
the machine.  This new machine will have this blade much better and still
give a long runtime.  We highly suggest you try this blade with the new
mower!  EGO Power+ AB2101 21" Lawn Mower High Lift Blade for
POWER+ 56V Lawn Mower Models LM2100/LM2100SP/LM2101/LM2102SP

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 98,106 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Good stuff
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Bill, 

I'm not sure what your point is.  Are you saying that this topic has already been broached?  If that is the case you are not breaking new ground by suggesting a topic on this forum has been covered ad nauseam.  However, the point of a tool forum is to talk about and review tools, people find that enjoyable for some reason.  

The guy in the video you embedded is mowing down field grass with ease yet Ken said the same mower would overheat on tall turf grass (much shorter grass for the layperson). I would be more inclined to give Ken's review more weight given that Youtube channels have been known to receive funding from sponsors to talk up their products (and the channel you referenced, reviewed snowblowers by their ability to displace snow on a hockey rink, if you have a hockey rink for a driveway, disregard).  

That is why it is important to get several (and in this forum several hundred) opinions on something.  If I misconstrued your point, my apologies but then please elaborate....
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Slaw,
This is my second year of ownership of the Ego dual battery self-propelled lawn mower.  I have Kentucky blue grass sod with a sprinkler system.  I mulch it at 21/2 inches early spring and late fall. During the late spring, summertime, and early fall I mulch it at 31/2 inches.  My lawn is very thick and always looks great.  Not once did any lights turn on since I had this lawn mower.  I use two 7.5 ah batteries.  I have talked about this lawn mower numerous times in the past.  This is a great lawn mower.  I have criticized the Ego snow blower in the past because of its limitations and received a lot of heat for it.  If I thought this lawn mower was junk, I wouldn't hesitate to say it.  I am pretty sure I was probably the first person on this site that bought this lawn mower.  So I have reviewed this tool in the past.  I gave that recent information out for people who were interested in buying it.  Now people can compare my review with Ken's.  By the way, I don't receive any funds from sponsors. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

The more info the better Slaw
Looking forward to your review as well as Troy's
Have appreciated Bill's for a while now.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken

To clarify and be fair, this has only happened once or twice, and it is only in the spring after high growth rates and rain causing a delay in my weekly mowing that week. I also stated that a gas mower would be leaving clumps as of grass as well due to the height of the grass.

My lawn is thick this year and looks great and healthy overall. I can imagine there are some lawns and types of grasses (not to mention mowing habits) that an electric mower will fail vs a gas mower in certain scenarios, but for my lawn I am sold on electric. The small “issues” (hand sharpening blade more frequently to keep a sharp cut, and having to cut a little higher on real long grass; which should do anyway) are both out weighed by all of the pluses if the electric mower.

In the end my lawn looks great which is what I am after.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Good points Ken.  No mower is going to perform well on those occasions when weather and/or vacation,etc causes us to put off mowing until the lawn is overgrown.
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Bill,

I should’ve read your review prior to buying the snowblower. My main point with the other comment is simply that fighting against redundancy in a tool forum is a losing battle.
Photo of Al Davison

Al Davison

• 296 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
IMOW, did you installed the high lift blade?
Photo of IMOW

IMOW

Yes i did. Also custom made some for the 20 inch older model to try it. 
Photo of Al Davison

Al Davison

When I tried the 2142, I had to walk slow to get a good cut. The height had to be set on 3 (in the middle) as well. Any setting higher than 3 sucks for some reason.

Photo of Dave Lundy

Dave Lundy

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Did you see much difference between the two plastic decks to matter. Aside from them both not cutting to your liking.
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Alright so I completed a quick mow after work and my general impressions were mostly positive. I will put together a full review in the next few days. However, towards the end the mower did overheat. It was only one battery and I was able to remove it and finish the job with one battery. The off-putting thing is that when I tested the charge on both batteries the battery that overheated was completely depleted while the other one was completely full. So full my charger refused to charge it.

My first thought was that I didn’t properly fasten the full battery into the mower and so it wasn’t being used. That seems very unlikely as it’s pretty obvious if the battery is not installed correctly. Anyone else with this model experience this? Ken?
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

So I think I can eliminate user error. The overheated/depleted battery was in the front and you can’t close the cover if it’s not fully seated. Plus both batteries were illuminated in the mower indicating they were both fully seated. I was hoping it was my fault.
Photo of Ken

Ken

I have never had that happen. When mine shut off, I just stopped for a little bit, raised the deck to lighten the load, and then continued to cut. I have never checked the batteries half way through the now to see if they are balanced regarding their charge level
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Ok. I’m calling ego to see if this is a known issue. I will also try to replicate it. In the meantime if you are so inclined maybe the next time you mow, after you are halfway done, put each battery on the charger to see the remaining charge. My assumption is that they drain simultaneously. But maybe they drain one at a time, which would surely call into question the whole peak power thing. Maybe mine is defective or maybe it’s an isolated electronics fantom that will never reappear....
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

Is it possible that, with 2 batteries, they drain 1 at a time but at a higher rate compared to single battery units?

Does the snowblower draw from both batteries equally? Anyone know?
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,690 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
See the link from previous discussions regarding your question: short answer is YES, the snow blower draws from both batteries.

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/snow-blower-batteries

Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

You would think the mower would work the same...
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Agreed, but since I don't own their mowers, I am not certain why it wouldn't ...
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

I just got the mower. Will be using within a few days....
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Love to hear your perspective on it ... :-)
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Running it out again today to get the grass low for aerating tomorrow. I will report what happens. Left a message for ego today and they called me back. I told them the issue and the person hung up on me. It sounded like a bad line so that was probably it. Probably. Haha.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

I have left messages before with CS and they have called me back, so try again.  This is the busiest time of the year, so call early in the day if possible ... :-)
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Maybe the hang up was not an accident....

https://community.egopowerplus.com/eg...
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Alright, so I received another call from CS and this time the call clarity was much better.  The CS agent said she's never heard of my issue and wanted to escalate it so she wrote it up and said I should hear back no later than Tuesday.  I will let you know what happens.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 95,042 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Same system on the mower and snow blower. Both batteries should drain Fairly equally
Photo of Al Davison

Al Davison

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled LM2142SP Mower vs LM2102SP Mower.

Is there a big different in performance between the LM2142SP (2 batteries) and the LM2102SP (1 battery) mower? The reason why I ask is because I had to special order the LM2142SP (it's defective out the box with a constant orange flashing light) and it took about 2 weeks for me to receive it. HD has the LM2102SP in stock. Any feedback would be appreciated.  
Photo of Al Davison

Al Davison

Never mind. I just returned the LM2142SP and HD ordered me a new one with 10% off. I will test the quality cuts against my Honda when the new LM2142SP one arrives.
(Edited)
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

• 1,858 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Ok so I used the 2142 yesterday for about 15-20 minutes. I will try to use it again tomorrow or Tuesday and get a better feel for it. I have been using the 2102 for the last couple seasons...

Here are some initial thoughts:

-First thing I did was swap the blade that came with it to the High Lift. The blade that came with it was SUPER sharp though, I was impressed by that.

-The mower constantly revs up/down/up/down/up/down. Must be a battery conservation thing????

-The self-propelled is different. It's improved.

-The cut, unfortunately, seemed to be exactly identical to the 2102 thus far. The infamous "trail" of grass was there just like before. See pics below. I mulched and didn't take much off.

https://i.imgur.com/WWduhUw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lvrLw1H.jpg

-I used (2) 7.5 batteries that I already owned for the 15-20 minutes. I put both on the charger after I was done and the charger indicated that both were full. All lights lit up green and it wouldn't turn on. This makes me think that it was pulling from both batteries but I can't confirm that with 100% certainty yet...
(Edited)
Photo of Al Davison

Al Davison

The cut to me is not like the Toros and Hondas. Try the 3 notch and walk slow. I think the Ego is too light and it needs a double blade. That just me.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Al,
I have the same lawn mower (two 7.5ah batteries) and mulch my grass (Kentucky blue grass sod) at 31/2 inches and it looks great.  The higher you cut it, the longer the roots.  The stock blade mulches better than the high lift blade.  I bought this lawn mower when it was first available.  Looking at your posts you'll probably be happier with your Toros and Hondas.  I would return it.
Photo of Al Davison

Al Davison

I return it because the mower keeps cutting-off and it wouldn't restart until after 5 minutes; it was defected. Therefore, I want to give it a fair comparison with my Honda as soon as I receive the new one.

Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Al,

When you receive you new one. try mulching the grass at 31/2 inches and use the standard blade.  Believe me, the high lift blade only worked better when bagging.  Try cutting the grass, if you can, when it's dry..Good luck and I hope you have better luck with your new lawn mower when you receive it. 
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

I used the 2142 again today for a long time. It has TONS of power. Definitely more than the 2102. It cuts better than the 2102 too.

After mowing for roughly an hour, I checked the batteries in the mower. Both were showing 2 bars. So mine is definitely pulling juice from both of the batteries, not one at a time.

I think the self-propelled, at the fastest setting, is slower on the 2142 compared to the 2102. Still plenty fast though...
Photo of Dave Lundy

Dave Lundy

Yours came with the new 4 bar fuel gauge batteries?
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Alright, this is a hybrid warranty topic but I think it applies to this mower. So Ego never called me like they said they were going to do I called them earlier and spoke I a rep. The previous rep said she would have a manager review the issue and get back to me. That didn’t happen. The girl on the phone was very nice but she didn’t understand the issue. In the end she suggested I return the mower so that’s what I’m going to do. It’s annoying because the previous rep sent me an email to reply to with pics and video that she could forward to management and that ball was dropped. Due to the current mower repair situation I am not willing to risk having some bad cap, resistor trace or other issue wreaking havoc on the mower. I called Home Depot to order another one and they gave me a discount for my trouble so HD was great as usual. I promise I will review this thing at some point. Well if I get a trouble free mow...
Photo of Al Davison

Al Davison

Well... the turn around with HD is about 2 weeks with online orders for the Ego LM2142SP. I returned my mower on May 5 and HD re-order it the same day. It's May 8th and the order is still pending with no ship date at this time. The first order took about 2 weeks as well.
Photo of Dave Lundy

Dave Lundy

I had one that looked used on arrival so I immediately called HD to return it. Even had grass blades in the box . Then reordered and got a “newer” one. The date was made in feb 2019 which is cool. Same as the batteries and the charger. None of that matters to me as long as it works well. One thing that really frustrates me was a scratch and chunk of the plastic notched from poor shipping. The bagger was dug into the side of the mower. Unacceptable for 750 dollars. I understand it’s plastic but I want to be the one scratching it. Honestly I am thinking about keeping my original 7.5 ah self propelled and returning this double battery model. The brushless would be nice but I am thinking maybe I get a little side Honda for the overgrown weeks here in Oklahoma. I still am gas free with edger, trimmer, and blower.
Photo of Al Davison

Al Davison

• 256 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I had a used 2142 as well and I blame Home Depot for it. I think if something is massed produced, of course there will be some defects, but I think it's wrong for HD to recirculate defected products intentionally. I now see why these forums have much complaints. We should not have received a used mower that was defected from other people. This makes any manufacture look bad. HD should take the product from circulation. Oh well...

(Edited)
Photo of Dave Lundy

Dave Lundy

That is so crazy. It was very obvious and the charger was dirty as well. Yeah must be a HD thing but I thought they shipped these from the vendor but I could be wrong.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 86,894 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Well if a customer returns the mower in the box and reseals it and tells HD that they just changed their mind and never used it - I could see how it gets put back on the shelf.

You would expect with an expensive item with expensive batteries the box would be opened and checked, but I could see how it gets put back on the shelf.

Photo of Dave Lundy

Dave Lundy

Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

Mine looks worse than that after 1 mow...
Photo of Dave Lundy

Dave Lundy

We must have very different mowing styles haha
Photo of Ken Lambert

Ken Lambert

• 60 Points
Pondering getting a EGO LM2142 but mulching is pretty important for me. Live in NC and its all fescue over here.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I live in NC and have fescue cuts fine as long as you sharpen the blade
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Alright so as I stated previously the first 2142 I received only drew current from one battery and after speaking to ego they said to return it. I received the second one a few days ago and the box looked like it fell off the back of a UPS truck on the autobon (see pic). I didn’t notice any damage at first but when I was looking in the box I noticed a chunk of plastic and when I found where the piece belonged I noticed another crack in the plastic. I was just going to return it and wait for the next generation to come out in a year or two but I may call ego tomorrow and see if they will just ship me a replacement that’s not from the land of misfit toys....
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Photo of Slaw

Slaw

Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

I would buy it. Impressive power & performance!