LM2102SP or LM2142SP

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Answered
I am looking at both the LM2102SP and LM2142SP models.  The LM2102SP  comes with a 7.5Ah battery and the LM2142SP comes with two 5.0Ah batteries.   I have a small yard, and so the extra mowing time afforded by the dual battery model is not something I really need.  And so my question is about the relative mowing power of the two models.  All else being equal, one 7.5Ah battery should deliver more power than one 5.0Ah battery, right?  Does the dual battery LM2142SP (which is brushless) simply allow you to mow longer than the single battery LM2102SP (brushed)?  Or is the dual battery model able to use both 5.0Ah batteries at the same time to deliver more power than a single 7.5Ah battery?  I'm worried that if the extra battery is just to increase mowing time, not mowing power, that the LM2142SP will be less powerful than the LM2102SP.  But the dual is brushless whereas the other one is not, and I don't know how much difference that makes.  As the dual model is quite a lot more expensive, I'd like to know whether or not it is at least as powerful as the single battery model before deciding to buy it.
Photo of Christopher Harrop

Christopher Harrop

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 59,446 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The Ego PeakPower technology combines the power of 2 EGO batteries for longer run time AND efficient power draw

The motor on the new dual battery mower is brushless and does provide more power in addition to more run time.  Per Ego engineering department

It has the most powerful brushless motor in the entire EGO mower line (1200W BL motor is much, much more powerful than the 1000W Brushed motor on the LM2100SP). With peak power tech (drain more current from the battery), these two combines generate much more torque than any EGO mower in the market and it actually is the most powerful cordless mower in the market now.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 2,140 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I have talked about this numerous times in the forum.  I have a dual battery and also a single battery.  There is no comparison.  The dual battery has more useful power and a lot more torque.  It never over heats and the batteries never over heat.  I have a lots of grades and now I can go faster and not worrying about the orange light turning on.  I also cut thick 31/2" Kentucky blue grass.  I use two 7.5 ah batteries.  You can use a 7.5 ah with a 5.0 ah if you want.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 5,480 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have the original LM2102SP and have never needed more power than it has.  (I did upgrade to the high lift blade for $20 to get more "updraft")

Yes, sometimes if I'm cutting grass that I let grow for two weeks I may have to adjust the speed control down from full speed, but under all "normal" weekly mowing conditions it has plenty of power to cut at full speed. (And full speed is a very fast walk...)

I have had the self propel unit fail on it (replaced under warranty), so perhaps the LM2142SP model has a more robust self propel unit, and it does have more batteries and a stronger "brushless" blade motor, but given the cost, and the fact you have a small lawn, I'd recommend saving the money and getting the LM2102SP.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Does anyone besides myself on this forum have an Ego dual battery lawn mower (LM2142SP)? 
Photo of Christopher Harrop

Christopher Harrop

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for the helpful responses.  Aside from the issue of power, I much prefer a brushless motor vs a brushed one.  It's clear to me now that I want the dual battery model.  Now I just have to decide whether the extra cost is worth it to me personally.  
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 2,080 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
If you can afford it, it would be worth it in the long run.  It doesn't have to work as hard as the single battery lawn mower.  It should last a lot longer due to the power and brushless motor.  Whatever you decide, good luck.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 804 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I am considering the same items due to my need, except other than the dual battery I have purchased the steel deck which apparently has the same motor as the dual battery model (the newer brushless design).  I wish there were more specs.  If you take what the official response:

"The Ego PeakPower technology combines the power of 2 EGO batteries for longer run time AND efficient power draw. The motor on the new dual battery mower is brushless and does provide more power in addition to more run time.  Per Ego engineering department"

It states AND efficient power draw which states it is more efficient, not necessarily more powerful.  the second part is just stating that the new brushless motor is more powerful, which I understand is true over the prior motor rating of the non brushless motor and not necessarily running "more powerful" due to the dual batteries.  

If it doubled the current then run times would not be longer per se.  Details and specs on this issue would surely help in making a decision based on facts.    
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

I think no matter what I say, your trying to convince yourself that the single battery motor has the same torque and power.  Believe me it doesn't,  I have both and can compare the two.  It is a big difference.  I sent you the youtube video on this lawn mower.  If you don't believe me or the youtube video there is probably nothing anybody can tell you to convince you.  I guess what I am telling you are not facts!!!!.  It looks like I am the only owner on this site that has this two battery lawn mower.  That's too bad.  At least Ego can get rid of their stock of single battery lawn mowers.  On Sunday I mowed our lawn (860sq. feet).  I have thick Kentucky blue grass and cut it at 31/2 inches.  Our lawn has may different grades.  I now can run our lawn mower at a higher speed and it never over heats. I finished in less that an hour and charged the batteries on two different rapid chargers.  Both batteries charged in 15 minutes which shows me that they are both being used at the same time (more efficient draw of current). I use two 7.5ah batteries which is probably an overkill.  Do you really think that Ego is going to tell you that the dual battery lawn mower is a lot better that the one you bought.  I don't think so.  I have a 2018 M550 BMW which is a v8 with twin turbo chargers.  The BMW 540i has a single turbo.  Due you think they have the same power and torque. 
Photo of Max Nguyen

Max Nguyen

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It also looks like you're the only one that has both to compare.   Would you say that the new dual battery mulches better  and leaves less clumped grass?  Also less uncut grass here and there?   
Photo of IMOW

IMOW

• 60 Points
The steel deck self propelled is a brushless motor 1000w the dual battery has the brushless 1200w motor. The dual battery motor is the strongest motor in line up. (I have a single battery mower)
Photo of Ken

Ken

I am by no means calling you a liar or discounting what you are saying, in fact, I am thankful that someone has some information on the topic. All I am looking for as a consumer would be info available like the example you mention. If I’m buying a BMW, BMW does post HP and torque numbers so the buyer can make a decision in both feel and fact when making a purchase, that’s all.

One is not necessarily better than the other, it’s more important that it fits your need. I personally would like to know if there is a substantial “power” difference per specs between the same motors but dual vs single battery and then I the consumer, can make a decision.

Sorry if it affended you, that was not my intent. I think EGO has the best product out there from what I have read but I’m just trying to understand what I am buying and what fits my need the best.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Ken,

An electric motor is obviously not the same as a gasoline motor in terms of torque and horsepower.  The advantage of the dual battery is that they don't have the same power draw as a single battery and therefore you get longer running times, more torque and less likely to overheat.  The engine is less likely to overheat because the extra current the two batteries are sending to the motor.  I don't know if that explains it.  All I can say it is like night and day between my single battery and dual battery.  It is just more efficient. I guess it is like comparing a 12 gauge extension cord with a 14 gauge extension cord.  My motor in my 30 gallon air compressor could burn up if the use a14 gauge extension cord because it limits the amperage to the electric motor.  Another example is most electric cars that are sold have optional larger batteries if you want longer running times.  As the battery runs down on these cars their 0 to 60mph time get slower, which means they are losing power and torque.  If you did purchase the dual battery lawn mower you will be a happy mower.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 59,302 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
William

With the single battery mower, did you ever have cut grass left behind where it was visible and not mulched enough to fall into the grass and out of sight.
If so, did the dual battery mower alleviate this issue?
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Yes it did.  What is amazing about this lawn mower is how fast I can go while still cutting the lawn very well and never having the orange light coming on. I think the 7.5ah batteries may have something to do with it.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

If you could do a video (or just pictures) showing that difference - that would convince a lot of people and the dual battery mower would have a lot of new fans.
Photo of Ken

Ken

I would love to see that as well, or better yet, one of the major you tube reviewers do a test on the that mower with one battery, and then with two batteries installed.  I would love to see if there is more blade RPM or torque (not sure how that could get measured but I'm sure there is a way) to see a measurable difference.  I would buy it in a heart beat over the other one, but that is the tough thing about this product line.  
You can't see many of the items in person as the Home Depot display is usually pretty small, and EGO (a lot of electric tools) do not have a standard in the industry that would translate in to HP, torque, etc.  
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Really!!!!  I am finish trying to convince people about how good this lawn mower is.  Now, I must do a video  to convince people that not full of sh....!  I have better things to do.  Ask Ego to do a video.  I am not on their sales team.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Not saying I do not believe your posts William.  I am convinced.

I was just saying a picture is worth a thousand words and it would be cool to see a side by side.  As you are the only guy I know with both mowers, I suggested it to you.  If that kind of thing doesn't interest you and you don't find it to be fun, then no worries - you don't owe me anything - I was just throwing it out there.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Because I retired as a Detective from the Los Angeles Police Department, I can read people pretty well.  Ken was trying to convince himself that he bought the right lawn mower and in doing so he is trying to prove a point.  I really don't care if anyone buys this lawnmower.  It is not my responsibility to convince people that this is Ego's best lawn mower.  That is Ego's job.  I know that you (szwoopp) probably are convince that this is Ego's best lawn mower, by the comments you have made.  But there are other people, no matter what they see or read will believe that they are right and made the right choice. I have no problem with that.  No one had to convince me that this would be a better lawn mower because I did my homework.  On numerous occasions, I listed the video link where they tested this lawn mower.  As you say, a picture or video is worth a thousand words.  I wonder if anyone took the time to look at that video.
Photo of Ken

Ken

Appreciate your time WM but I not trying to convince myself of anything, other than wanting to purchased the best tool for my $$.  EGO has been very vague on their phrasing of what the dual battery mower is capable of when is comes to additional power or torque.  I emailed EGO with specific questions on the matter and got the same marketing BS general answer, with no details of spec.  I am sure it has  "longer run time AND efficient power draw", but those two are not the items that would make me change from the steel deck to this mower.  I am also confident that  "mower is brushless and does provide more power in addition to more run time", the more power is relating to what, the other new brushless motor or the older models?

IF the dual battery mower has more torque and power when needed, it would be a better buy for my use, however if it does not, I like the other benefits of the steel deck with the side discharge and shorter nose.  One is not better for everyone, I'm just a guy trying to spend my $$ for what I feel is the best use for my lawn and when the MFG can't answer my questions, it makes question if we are stumbling over marketing terms.   

If EGO won't put out the information, hopefully someone will do a video on one some day as I am sure many people are interested.  Enjoy your mower.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Ken have you watched this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd85zB-59Wo

Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

New Dual Battery Mower - This NEW Dual Battery EGO 21" Self-Propelled mower provides longer run time not only because it has multiple batteries!  This the EGO's first BRUSHLESS lawn mower.  You will not see the word brushless on this lawnmower but rest assured it is.   This lawn mower operated very similar to the dual battery snow blower with what EGO calls PeakPower technology.  Basically, the PeakPower technology can determine what battery or batteries (It can run off a single battery) you have in the lawn mower and the software determines the most efficient power draw.  This allows users to use multiple batteries for long runtimes and more torque or the ability to run one battery while the other charges.  While this new model looks and feels almost exactly like the single battery 21" lawn mower, the difference lies in the motor and the torque it can provide.  With two 5.0Ah batteries, one can see upwards of 40% more torque from this unit.  that allows you to run some of the upgrades we list below with little effect on runtime!

This is an expensive unit, due mostly to the cost of the two batteries if you buy the kit.  But if you are wanting a nice, powerful and quiet lawn mower to tackle larger lawns, look no further, this is it.

What is PeakPower Technology?
This new mower is the second tool from EGO that will run on a single battery or also capable of running off two batteries.  EGO calls this technology PeakPower and it is software that is capable of detecting the size of the batteries in the tool.  Obviously, the larger the battery, or batteries, the better it will perform.  The software will look at the number of cells (battery pack size) that is can pull power from and adjust the amps drawn from the battery, or batteries for optimal performance.  This gives the user options if a battery was forgotten to be charged or if one were to possibly go bad.  We found that there is little difference between running the unit with a 7.5Ah single battery or two 5.0Ah batteries, but all of our testing was done with the two 5.0Ah batteries that came in the kit.

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Other than the statement that this is Ego's first brushless mower, everything else is accurate.  Previously the steel deck mowers had brushless motors. 

This is Egos first composite deck mower with a brushless motor would be the accurate statement about this mower and its motor.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

I just copied a pasted the narrative under the video.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Understood William.  I knew that was not your commentary.
I posted the same correction in the video comments on the you tube page.
As everyone is looking for accurate info on this new mower I thought it might be helpful and avoid confusion.