LM2102SP or LM2142SP

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
I am looking at both the LM2102SP and LM2142SP models.  The LM2102SP  comes with a 7.5Ah battery and the LM2142SP comes with two 5.0Ah batteries.   I have a small yard, and so the extra mowing time afforded by the dual battery model is not something I really need.  And so my question is about the relative mowing power of the two models.  All else being equal, one 7.5Ah battery should deliver more power than one 5.0Ah battery, right?  Does the dual battery LM2142SP (which is brushless) simply allow you to mow longer than the single battery LM2102SP (brushed)?  Or is the dual battery model able to use both 5.0Ah batteries at the same time to deliver more power than a single 7.5Ah battery?  I'm worried that if the extra battery is just to increase mowing time, not mowing power, that the LM2142SP will be less powerful than the LM2102SP.  But the dual is brushless whereas the other one is not, and I don't know how much difference that makes.  As the dual model is quite a lot more expensive, I'd like to know whether or not it is at least as powerful as the single battery model before deciding to buy it.
Photo of Christopher Harrop

Christopher Harrop

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Al Davison

Al Davison

• 256 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The iPhone 7 don't show good pictures, but the new EGO (it shipped at night) arrived and this is how it lights-up at night. You can clearly see the back fence from the porch. Not bad!!

Below is my old trusted Honda with the twin blades. It took 10 minutes to start. My arm had to rest (carburetor problems I guess). The EGO is fully changed and ready to go.

This is a cut with the Honda and it's not as good as I thought Hondas should be; the blade is sharp too. However, look at the top left corner from this view; that's a cut from the EGO and it looks much better from here. This is Saint Augustine grass that has not been cut near 2 weeks.

In real life, this appears much better than a picture. You cannot get a more even cuts than this. Perfecto! 

The EGO finished it off and I didn't even need to use the self propelled wheels.

The only thing that was disappointing was the picture below. Let's say my eyes are bad. What is the size of the mulch blade? Looks like 20-1/4". The reason why I checked this was because the Honda seems to have a wider cut. ...and it did! I checked the Honda blades and it was 21".

Finally, I am a believer. The EGO 2142 is a powerful work horse and it's a keeper for sure. Therefore, anybody wants a Honda Quadra for 50 bucks! Think of it like a free gym workout for your arms. Lol.