LM2101 buyer's remorse. Should I get something different?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Power Plus 21" self propelled mower uneven cutting

I just bought the 21" push mower and am having second thoughts. The mower is leaving strips of uncut grass and also dumps clippings on sidewalk instead of being sucked into the bag (this is on the #3 height setting)... and yes, I made sure to pull out the mulching plug. Which leads me to my other question: does this thing mulch well? It seemed to leave clumps as well as uncut blades. I called customer service and they told me that the blade that comes on the mower is not a mulching blade. She mentioned something about the high lift blade that would help pull the grass up, but when I researched the high lift blade, it says this in the description: "Not recommended for use with the mulching plug." I am also concerned with the number of reviews that state the blade needs to be sharpened often. Customer service suggested exchanging the mower since there may be an issue with mine, but I'm also considering moving on and getting the Echo 58v mower. It seems to get good mulching reviews and comes with a brushless motor instead of the brushed on the ego. Has anyone else had similar issues with their mower? Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks! 
Photo of Mason

Mason

• 292 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 59,074 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Re stripes of uncut grass - need to overlap so that you cut the tire path from your previous pass.

The blade with the mower is considered a 3 in 1 blade / multipurpose and intended for use with the mulching plug as well as bagging or the chute.  The high lift blade is intended to improve lift for bagging.  Some have found it also improves mulching, although this is not its design purpose.

Mulching results vary by user, lawn type and expectations.  In general I would say the mulching is rated as ok with some finding it great and others bad.  So, using it on your own lawn is the best way to decide withing the HD 90 return period.

I have the 21 SP mower and like it.  It mulches pretty well.  It does leave a line of clippings at times.  Overlapping takes care of some of it.  A foot rake as I make my next path takes care of the rest.
This happens in thicker/longer areas of grass.  Other areas the mower leaves no clippings behind.

I have a HL blade on order to see how it works for me.  Overall I am satisfied with the pluses(no gas, mess, fumes, tune ups, very quite, easy, convenient, all with a good quality cut)  and few minuses (some clipping left behind, not great lift) the mower delivers for me.

(Edited)
Photo of Mason

Mason

Thanks for your input and tips!
Photo of Pete Innes

Pete Innes

• 2,646 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
The ego is a brushless motor as well btw
Photo of Mason

Mason

It's my understanding that only the newest steel deck model comes with a brushless motor, but it's twice the price.
Photo of Tim Ross

Tim Ross

• 708 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Having seen the quality of the brushed motor...it will NOT be an issue for you. The brushes are enormous, they epoxied the windings and balanced it. It's going to offer top performance for years. I do have the brushless mower. But it's not something that provides me any serious benefit. I'm just a BL fan with hobbies etc so I couldn't resist. But it would be hard to make the argument for it for even fairly extensive home use. 
Photo of Mason

Mason

That's good to know about the brushes being big.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 158,138 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Correct, only the steel deck mowers are brushless.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,448 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

I mulch with the high lift blade (mulching plug installed) and am plenty happy with it.  I mow at setting 2.

That said, I have the self propelled 21" mower.  The high lift blade changed my world.

It's quite surprising that they haven't scrambled to get it to the US market.

Please read this:  https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/my-mower-sucks-and-im-happy-about-that

(Edited)
Photo of Mason

Mason

Thanks for the input! Maybe I'll have to try the high lift blade myself. It's good to hear it works for mulching even though they say not to use it for that... I wonder why that is
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Everyone here also wonders why they're not easily available.....

I'm going to order and extra now from Amazon, just in case I hit a rock or something with mine.  And, IF I didn't have one, and knowing what I now know, I'd spend the double price to get one from mowermagic.co.uk

Photo of Mason

Mason

Blooms, do you find that the high lift blade chops up the grass into shorter pieces when mulching? The stock blade seems to just cut it once, leaving long pieces on the lawn.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 61,274 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you go with another company. Stay away from echo. Theirs is a 56v system also. They say 58 but it's the same batteries and count in their packs. It's a marketing lie... look up on YouTube to verify.

Charge time has been reported as being close to 1.5hr due to heat.
Photo of Mason

Mason

Any other input or experience with the Echo mower? Supposedly it's lighter, which may help with the strip of uncut grass issue if it's being caused by the wheels.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I'm pretty sure Ego is king of the battery mowers.
Lots of YouTube comparison videos.
(Edited)
Photo of Mason

Mason

By the 80v/82v systems are you referring to greenworks, snapper?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Anything above 60v is dangerous in my opinion. You start getting a higher risk of shock the higher the voltage. Ego did it right with 56. Id never own an 80v battery. No way.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 16,306 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I guess you wouldn't own a hybrid car, then.   The voltage in my car's EV system is 245 volts.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Let me clarify. Anything over 60v that gets removed for charging I will not own.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 16,306 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
LOL!  (to Jacob)
Photo of Chris Chase

Chris Chase

• 822 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Photo of Mason

Mason

That's the first I've ever heard of John Deere making a battery powered mower... I guess they do a good job filtering out things that aren't available here in the u.s.
Photo of Art Zasadny

Art Zasadny

• 1,416 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I have had the exact same mower (LM2101) since early June and have been mowing a thick freshly sodded 2200sq ft yard and i have never had any clumps or cut grass at the edges. I bag since this is a new lawn but I've mulched my neighbor's lawn and have never experienced the mess that you have described. I have set my blade to 4 " (highest setting) and I tend to mow slowly, so maybe that helps me?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.