LM2100SP steering

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • In Progress
With the rear wheel drive and moving forward, if you need to alter from a straight line, it is quite difficult to get the LM21000SP to move in the direction you need. 

I have a suggestion:  Since it is powered to the rear wheels, why not make the front wheels like a dolly cart, where they swivel, so you can easily steer L/R to where you need without feeling like you're dragging the whole mower throughout my yard when I need to alter the direction of the mower.
Photo of Kevin Durbin

Kevin Durbin

• 338 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 12,974 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I mow lawns in my neighborhood and use the Greenworks 80V self propelled mower.  I've never used the EGO one, so I may be missing something, but when I turn that mower, I push down on the handle to lift the front of the mower and quickly turn the mower around to start another run.  I push on the side of the handle that is inside the turn, that makes it really easy for me to make quick 180 degree turns.  As far as generally steering the mower, I just work mine just like I do my Toro gas mower which I also use.  It took some practice mowing when I started mowing for the first few times, but eventually I got quite good at it.  

So, now I'm curious about whether this steering problem that you describe is specific to the EGO mower or do you have that issue with just mowers in general?
Photo of Kevin Durbin

Kevin Durbin

I also have a small gas mower, also 21" cut, and I don't have any issues steering it.  I may need to adjust the main handle down and see how that affects the steering.  I had the handle up higher, as I have a bad back, but I can see how that might negatively affect steering.  Thanks for your thoughts!
Photo of giggleherz .

giggleherz .

• 2,004 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
The rear drive in the EGO mower is not perfect. It is one motor with a shaft drive that has to disengage in order to do the one eighty turn. If you don't let go of the drive switch before you start the turn you end up dragging the outside wheel. This is my first rear drive mower so now I see why they like to power the front.
 No machine is perfect and never will be so I don't quibble about tiny deficiencies.
 The bottom line on this mower is that it works great and is the first mower I have ever owned that I actually look forward to using. I hope they make a ridding machine, that would put me in heaven. lol

Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 5,144 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Have you had rear-propelled before? After years of using front self-propelled I inherited last year a nice (but older) Honda rear-propelled mower. It took me several runs to get comfortable with the rear drive and mow well. I personally like rear propelled now over front propelled now. Not sure I'd like the "dolly wheels"...I suspect there would be good chance of grass wrapping around the "swivel" and could prevent the wheels from being straight when you need them to be straight. JMHO.
Photo of Kevin Durbin

Kevin Durbin

Regarding the swivel wheels concept; I'm thinking of it more in the way of how a typical shopping cart steers, but like you said, grass/dirt would probably get in there and prevent them from turning eventually.
Photo of Janie

Janie

• 72 Points
I like this idea of the front wheels  swiveling, I think this would make it easier to mow the lawn areas that are curved.
Photo of Janie

Janie

• 72 Points
Me too!!
Photo of Kevin Durbin

Kevin Durbin

I have never had the RWD on a mower before; the 2 or 3 previous SP mowers I've had were all FWD, so it is a different feel.  I'm looking to mow with the 2100SP again next week and I'll make a few changes and see how it works out.  I think the biggest factor is the raised handle which made it more difficult to turn the mower.  I think once I lower the handle, it will work more like my old gas mower with turning.  I do agree that I like the rear wheel drive more than the front wheel drive, but it is a different feel.
Photo of J. G.

J. G.

• 1,584 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
KEVIN - My lawns are not boring rectangles. I have created curves to give them a natural, organic look and feel. The borders (some have a brick border) are gorgeous and appealing to the eye. This means, my first 2 courses of mowing are around the perimeter of the lawns. The curves make steering my EGO 21" Self-Propelled mower, for initial course, somewhat difficult to steer in the tight curves. I, like you, believe it is possible, even preferable, to make the front wheels swivel. Also, the overall length of the mower (front to back) could be reduced, which would also help. Even without the curves, front-swivel wheels would make any turn much easier.

Maybe they could mount the front wheel axel over the front of the blade canister, and make the wheels smaller.  I may no be an engineer, but know it can be done.  Thanks for your post!
Photo of Kevin Durbin

Kevin Durbin

I did notice that with the SP engaged, turning is a bit more difficult, and I would release the SP handle prior to big turns.  My next time mowing, I'm going to also try reducing the speed for big turns instead of just cutting off the SP.  That, along with adjusting handle height and length should provide some good feedback to share
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,224 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Kevin - note regarding the handle adjustments
Handle Height is adjustable to 3 operating positions.
Handle Length must be at fully extended length in order to operate.

Photo of Kevin Durbin

Kevin Durbin

Thanks; I do remember reading about the handle needing to be fully extended, but I might experiment with that.  I also had read about the 3 operating positions and I think I just selected the wrong one in order to make the steering easier.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,224 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
ummm....there is no experimenting with the length.  If not fully extended the mower will not start.  Read the note at the bottom of the page.
Photo of J. G.

J. G.

• 1,584 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
SZWOOPP - When I mentioned reducing the overall length of the mower, I was NOT referring to the length of the mower and the handle, but to the overall length of the business part (from front wheels to back wheels) of the mower.  Sorry I was not more clear on that point.  For that matter, when I referred to the tight curves, I especially meant the inside/concave tight curves.

I still need smaller, swiveling front wheels for maneuverability in and around curves, and changing direction up to 180°.  PLEASE!
Photo of Kevin Durbin

Kevin Durbin

Having given a few more weeks to iron out where to place the handles for better steering, I've come to the conclusion that it was pretty much me................  I wasn't used to this mower and particularly the RWD.  Also, the SP handle is in a different location from my FWD push/SP mower, which I had been using for close to 10 years.  I did some mowing with the handle in all 3 positions, and after some time mowing, it was clear I prefer the highest position for the handle.  The lowest handle position for me is the  worst for my back.  Another interesting thing I noticed was when my wife uses this mower, she sets the SP speed to a level that kind of pulls her along, and with the RWD, that causes her to "pop a wheelie" every several seconds as she's mowing down the line, which in turn makes for an uneven grass cut.  I tried to point this out as delicately as I could......................
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 5,144 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I finally had my first run with this mower and I have to admit there is something different in the design that makes turning a little more difficult than the other mowers I've owned. I think it's the 1-2 second delay when releasing the self-propelled lever before the self-propelled actually quits that causing the issue. I'm finding myself trying to make a turn exactly at the same time I release the SP lever...but the mower is still propelling forward for another second or two. 

Basically,  all I needed to do was release the SP lever a few seconds before I'm about to make the turn and all is well.
Photo of Kevin Durbin

Kevin Durbin

That makes sense as I've been getting more accustomed to this mower.  I've noticed that I've been doing almost precisely what you've described, and releasing the SP lever early.  I wasn't even really thinking about it, but replaying what I've experienced, I think this has helped with turning the mower, regardless of handle position.