LM2100SP Self Propelled gearbox/transmission LOUDER than when new

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • In Progress
We bought the LM2100SP back in late April of 2019 along with a trimmer, edger, and blower for all our Florida lawn care needs.  Up until recently the mower has developed a very noisy transmission.  I hadn't used the mower for a few weeks (wife mowed the lawn) but when I took it out yesterday I noticed the self propelled action seemed a lot louder and "gravellier" sounding, as if the gearbox is failing.  In my experience, any time a gearbox gets louder is cause for alarm.  I called Ego Service (Saturday on Labor Day weekend, thank you for the call back) and she initiated the warranty at my local Home Depot, which I'll bring it in today.  What I'm disappointed about is we're only about 10-12 mows total on this mower and it's already failing.  I'm also not looking forward to paying a lawn service a few hundred bucks to take care of my lawn while HD is conducting the repair.  Based on internet research they'll have it for over a month.  Has anyone else had this issue?  I've also discovered Ego recently changed the gearbox on the newer model LM2012SP (the one with the iPhone on the box).  This tells me there's a problem with the old one.  I'll update this thread with my experience as things progress.  
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 284 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • disappointed

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 67,282 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Another thing that's been discussed here on the forum is you go buy another mower. You then have up to 90 days to use it before you need to return it to HD. Return it to HD within the 90 days for a refund and you've gotten a free loaner while your mower was out for repair. 
Food for thought.