LM2100SP self-propell working, but no mowing function. PLEASE POST HERE IF YOU HAVE or HAD THE SAME

• Problem
  • Updated 3 days ago
  • In Progress
I purchased this mower on 3/15/2019. I have used it only several times with no issues. I went to use it today and the self-propelled function works just fine, but the mowing piece no longer functions. I checked the troubleshooting section on Page 48-50 of the guide and followed all the procedures. On Page 50 it mentions to check the bolt on the bottom mower blade to ensure it's between 36-43 ft-lb torque (good thing I have a torque wrench). It was interesting set to 40 ft-lbs of torque. After waiting 4 hours to receive a call back from the support staff, I was told they have to escalate this to management and that management will not be in until tomorrow during regular hours. In the mean time I figured it made sense to make this post and see if any others have experienced this issue to see if it's more wide spread. I noticed another user today having exactly the same issue. So now I'm curious if it's a much bigger problem. The support staff said this is not an issue she was aware of and that there are currently no recalls on this product. Thanks to all that have this and please post if you have the same problem.
Photo of MattG

MattG

• 468 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • unhappy

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of MattG

MattG

Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 4,156 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Apparently EGO killed access to that thread.
Photo of MattG

MattG

Did they really kill the thread from the other user? For the record then, there was 3 users in that other post with the same issues I posted here. I am taking screen shots of this post in case someone thinks it's right to remove this post. Guess the 1st amendment doesn't stand any longer.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,480 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The First Amendment applies to the government, not to privately owned companies.
Photo of Kenneth Wood

Kenneth Wood

• 334 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I think Home Depot has a 90 day return policy, even longer if you paid with a home depot card.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 102,442 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Kenneth is correct.  And this is generally the fastest and easiest way to get a replacement tool if you are with in the HD return window.
Photo of Peter Stevenson

Peter Stevenson

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Take the mower for a refund. Do not get it repaired. If you still want one, just purchase a new one.
(Edited)
Photo of MattG

MattG

• 448 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I plan on doing that.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 4,034 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
With an HD credit card purchase they advertise a one year hassle free return window.
Photo of MattG

MattG

For the record 4 people have replied in this thread and the other one that started this whole issue. The total count of users is up to 5 now including myself. Even though I plan on returning it, who's to say the issue will not happen again. Most everyone that mentioned they had the same problems have purchased within the past 12 months. Roll of the dice I guess at this point.
(Edited)
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 4,156 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Good point Matt. If you have the HD card it's the perfect opportunity to use it to get the one year return window. While many here have had good success with EGO mowers, I would keep the gas mower around as backup whenever the EGO stops working. I dont have the patience for stuff that doesn't work reliably.
Photo of MattG

MattG

I can appreciate everyone's reply about returning it to HD for a replacement or refund and as soon as I speak with EGO management I will. In the consumer world of things if a person is within their return window they should absolutely leverage it. For those that read this post it's great that if they want to return/replace the product within the return window, but more to see if my issue and 4 others with the same problem is a little bigger issue. Maybe it's the 25+ years I have working in tech and the past 14 of those years working at the largest networking company in the world as an engineer that makes me intrigued that the issue just seems to be to coincidental and the actual faultiness is something more rooted. For the self-propel to still work, but the blade to no longer engage after a few uses just doesn't seem to sit with me well. And I get it, there a tons of variables that could have caused it to fail. If anyone reading this today, tomorrow, week, month or even a year from now sees it, hopefully it helps them and hopefully they are lucky enough to be within the return window. BTW, I don't need another store card in my wallet, but I do appreciate that HD offers the one year hassle free capabilities and it might help someone else reading this.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,668 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The SP and the blade always operate separately.  You can use the SP to move your mower without the blade engaged and/or you can mow without engaging the SP.
So for one to work and the other to not operate is not really an oddity.  They are separate systems with separate motors and separate safety switches.
(Edited)
Photo of Kenny Mars

Kenny Mars

• 874 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
We had the same issue after folding our LM2100SP, they say the issue was in the handle clip safety relay. Return by EGO and is currently working fine. Do not return for a refund, we have all experienced similar problems.
Photo of MattG

MattG

Update - 1:50pm -7 PST on 4/30/2019: After 36 hours of waiting to hear back from escalations I made the command decision to return the product to Home Depot. Now here is where the story gets interesting. Yesterday I received two emails from their support email saying my cases where updated. This morning I was curious about the updates, so I logged back into EGO’s support site and found that both my cases where now closed and there is NO WAY to actually see any information on the case. So this afternoon I tried calling and waited for like 40 min for someone to pick up and no one did, so I opted for the call back feature. After that I just decided to take it back to Home Depot for a replacement. Thank god I was under the 90 days return policy. I'm really hoping I don't hit the same issues with the replacement. But I did want to express my thoughts about their Customer Service. Once I returned home with the replacement mower, I tried calling Customer Support again. I again waited for like 30 minutes with no one picking up and I opted for the return call. Now that’s 2x calls today with waiting on the line for a support person with no response and opting both times to get the call back. I finally get a call back around 12pm PST (3pm EST) from a nice lady, but ultimately she could not say why the cases where closed and all she could do was open another case. She did go speak to her team leader and the team leader said he would like me to ship the product directly back to them. Now at this point I find this weird seeing they know I’ve only owned it for around 40 days and that I could just return it to Home Depot, which is what I did. I understand they probably want to take a deeper look at my particular mower, but I explained that their support has been not so great up to this point and that I ended up returning it back to the store this afternoon. I gave them the store information and told the girl about the 4 other people on this community site that are experiencing the same problems and all those same models where purchased within the past 12 months. She toke note of it and I’ll assume it goes into an abyss at this point also.

Anyway I figured I’d share my experience and hopefully anyone else reading this post experiencing the same issues with this model will have something to go back to EGO support with.

(Edited)
Same issue. Just purchased this mower at end of March. Used it twice. Today, blade will not engage.  Sounds like I will have to take it back. Very disappointed.  ~ Dallas
Photo of Da Dude

Da Dude

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Purchased mine in May 2019 and ran into this issue today. Not happy because I'm past the 90 day return policy for HD, so hopefully the Ego support is good.

Was loving this lawn mower and recommending to all my friends and family. May regret that.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,730 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ego support is great.  HD repairs are aggravating. Call Ego cs first - they will set you up with HD repair if that is what is needed.  Try to convince your local Ego repair dept to take care of it in house.  Mine did and got it back to me in less just over a week.  Just need to find a HD repair center with a good repair person.  If you live in a metro area I would call several near by HD and find the best repair person I could.
Good luck
Photo of Kenny Mars

Kenny Mars

• 774 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I've said it before and I'll say it again. EGO needs a trained associate in each Home Depot or at least in a county. These issues are giving EGO a bad name, when I returned mine with the handle relay issue, the associate at my local Home Depot said and I quote "That's what you get for buying this piece of Sh*t, every d*m one of them are all pieces of Sh*t. 5 weeks later my mower came back from Atlanta fixed. Instead of his bad attitude, EGO should train him to fix them on the spot
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Do you really give any credence to anyone who would speak in that manner in a professional environment. 
Photo of Kenny Mars

Kenny Mars

No, but he is in tool rental, said it to me on the phone when I asked what the hours were, then repeated it several times when my wife and I dropped our EGO off to him, and pointed to 2 other EGO mowers to be shipped off too.
Photo of Kenny Mars

Kenny Mars

The environment was professional, but he was far from it
Photo of mike

mike

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Photo of Adam Costenbader

Adam Costenbader

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have the same issue with mine. I purchased one in March, it lasted 2 months. I replaced it at Home Depot, two month later the same thing happened. This time I was outside of the 90 day return and opted for warranty repair. I was informed Home Depot was my option for the repair. My Home Depot has had it for over 40 days now trying to figure it out. I got a call today that it was working, I went and tested it out and it's still doing the same thing and is still at Home Depot in hopes it'll get resolved. 

The repair center at my local Home Depot informed me that they've had 4 or 5 with similar symptoms in over the past four months. My hope for resolution is dwindling. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

So HD has had your mower for 40 days and just tells you they don't know how to fix it ?

Have you called Ego cs to get them involved ?  They have stated that they
a) want to be contacted prior to bringing a tool in to HD so they are aware of the repair and can assist as needed
b) want to be contacted anytime a repair gets to 4 weeks so they can step in and expedite the process.

Ego customer service is there to help - let them.

Adam Costenbader

Yep. I started with Ego support and they directed me to send it to Home Depot for warranty repair.

Good to know on point B though. I'll contact them about the issue. Thanks!

My local Home Depot informed me that Ego has good customer support but is lacking in technician support. I'm not sure if that's a comment to smooth over the duration of the issue or if it's a valid statement. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Let us know how it goes Adam
Photo of Da Dude

Da Dude

Called Ego CS on a Monday morning at 8am CST and waited five minutes. Told the representative about the issue and how I've done all the troubleshooting outlined in the manual and confirmed the battery wasn't the problem. Representative registered my product for the warranty in about ten minutes and emailed me so I could reply with proof of purchase. I responded immediately and requested a confirmation of when a replacement mower would be sent. After three hours, I called them again and waited for 25 minutes. New representative confirmed receipt and initiated my replacement order. I received the replacement in 5 business days and it works, so far. I called CS back to request a return sticker for the broken mower. I will send the old mower back once I receive that and hopefully all is well.

No real explanation for the broken mower. Rep mentioned "bad switches" and electronics having a mind of their own. I asked if I could expect the same issue with the replacement and he said, "We're sending you the newest model (April 2019) and just let us know if you have any issues. So far, extememly satisfied with the service...especially since I was persistent in following up.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Yup Ego customer service does a great job.  A little polite persistence never hurts to keep things  moving along.

The I called 3 weeks ago and nobody called back complaints always make me shake my head.

Adam Costenbader

Thanks for suggesting I speak with Ego support again!

I just spoke with them and am receiving the same resolution as Da Dude. I should have the replacement mower in 5-10 business days. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Good to hear Adam.  From my personal experience and the many posts here, Ego customer service does a great job of making things right.

Good luck with your replacement mower. 
Photo of Simon Myob

Simon Myob

• 62 Points
I bought my mower in August 2016 and have never had any problems . . . until last weekend. The same issue, about which people on this thread have been complaining, happened to me. I checked every troubleshooting item in the manual but still no blade turning, although the self-propel action works fine as mentioned by someone else.

Called Customer Services this afternoon and waited 40 minutes for a rep to answer. I was then told to take the mower back to an HD with Tools & Truck Rental where they will repair it. But no. The local HD says that they have to send the mower elsewhere, probably Atlanta or Phoenix, and it'll be 6-8 weeks before we get it back.

In the meantime, they say, we can rent a mower from HD for $40 a time. Even if we cut grass once a week, that could be $320 in hire charges (plus tax & the cost of fuel to get there and back & fill the mower as no doubt it won't be electric).

Now, speaking personally, I don't care if I don't cut the grass for 2 months but my wife DOES and she is VERY UNHAPPY. Ouch!!

Somehow I don't think I'll be buying another EGO product because this is UNACCEPTABLE.
(Edited)
Photo of Gordon

Gordon

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am having the same exact issue, purchased May 1, 2017 I was the biggest cheerleader for my Ego mower and the blower I purchased. It had worked flawlessly until a week ago and them I went to cut the lawn one morning and the drive works but the blade wont start. I went to HD and got the runaround. then I called Ego support was told to take it to the very store that gave me the run around. I called back they said to go to a HD with tool rental, I called them and they said they would accept it but wouldn't work on it but would pack it on a pallet and when they get a truck to call would send it to Indianapolis IN. I read some posts and they said to try and find a local service center, I did took my mower to them and the man was quite helpful said he would look at it and call Ego, than 3 days later get a call from the service center V & J Lawnmower and they told me to pick up the mower since they are no longer a service center. I found another service center a farther distance from me and now my mower is over there. I have never had such poor service from any other company I have purchased a product from. Both service centers say they have a difficult time even getting parts from Ego. I will see just how long this repair will take, I wish I was not an owner of a mower that has such poor repair service. Thank You,
Gordon
Photo of Da Dude

Da Dude

Even though I was lucky and had a nicer experience than Gordon, this story really upsets me. I think it's mostly the part where you mentioned the HD person said you were the fourth problem they've seen recently.

If the problem is that widespread, Ego should officially respond and proactively fix the issue for its customers. These days, social media and the right influencers can take down a company, literally, overnight.

I don't know about everyone else, but there's a Ryobi sales representative in my HD store seemingly all the time. This thread alone could be their best friend.
Photo of Kenny Mars

Kenny Mars

Agreed, HD needs to have someone trained to handle EGO issues as well as parts to fix on the spot issues as opposed to sending our equipment away for several weeks.
Photo of Kenny Mars

Kenny Mars

When I took my EGO LM2100SP to HD to be sent out for repairs and the associate behind the counter said "that's what you get for buying this company 's (EGO) piece of sh*t. They all break, buy something better. This type of behavior is now encouraging.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Da Dude
Isn't Ryobi basically the HD store brand ?

Ego did have a widespread problem with the mower handle clips years ago and responded by offering free replacements.  So, based on past experience they would do the same if there was in fact an actual wide spread problem.  On the other hand if it is not a wide spread problem, they would do as they currently are doing and repair or replace for anyone with an issue. 
Photo of Gordon

Gordon

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  I just called Home Depot to check on my mowers status, the Man informed me that It had arrived was repaired and put back on the truck for the 11 day return trip to Chicago ( per the Home Depot rep) so well see how it goes when I get it back.
     I wonder if I should stop folding the handle after each use, I thought that was the preferred storage position maybe it stresses the wires.
Photo of Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen

• 60 Points
Bought my EGO self propelled lawn mower in June 2019. This just happened today. Unfortunately the customer support call line is closed. Will try to call first thing in the morning. I am hoping for the same service as Da Dude.
Photo of Kenny Mars

Kenny Mars

• 874 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It is probably a faulty safety relay issue that has plagued most of us
Photo of Lawrence Chen

Lawrence Chen

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Same issue just happened to me today.  Purchased May 2018.  The lights on the battery and mower will turn green but the blades won't turn.  The self propelling still works though.
Called EGO service and they told me to bring it to Home Depot which I did.  Home Depot charged me a refundable deposit just to look at it and told me they will let me know in a week.  Will see what happens.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,744 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You are on the right track Lawrence.  Unfortunately the HD repair system can take some time (4 WEEKS OR MORE).

Not all Home Depots perform the repair on-site, so it is possible they'll be sending your mower out. However, per Ego service agreement, the entire process should not take more than 4-6 weeks. If it takes more than four, please give Ego support team a call (1-855-346-5656).   They will get involved

In the meantime, Check in with your local HD and if they do ship it out for repair, you can always get real-time updates on your mower's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case. 

Photo of Lawrence Chen

Lawrence Chen

I finally got my mower back after 6 weeks.  They had to send it out for repair and it seems they replaced the entire handle assembly.  Home Depot also charged me $50 for labor for some reason.  The mechanic who looked at it wasn't around so I couldn't get an answer for the charge.  I thought labor was included in the warranty.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,744 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There should be no charge for a warranty repair.   You should contact the HD and get a refund or a darn good explanation.
Photo of Brad

Brad

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I had the same problem. I called EGO and they are replacing the mower. I believe the wires are crimping at the base when it is folded up.
Photo of Simon Paskin

Simon Paskin

• 60 Points
Took my mower into HD some  3 weeks ago; have yet to hear from ANYONE!! Wonderful customer service - NOT! And I had to pay HD a (refundable) fee for "someone" to look at the mower to determine whether it is a warranty issue, which clearly it is judging from all the negative posts about the same problem.

Seems to me that since HD are not interested in dealing with EGO repairs maybe the customer should buy a new mower from HD whilst the repair is being undertaken and then return the new mower once the repair is complete (under their return policy) or keep it as a backup; the latter is sure to be cheaper than hiring someone to cut the grass every week for 2 months or more. That might make HD & EGO sit up and take notice and get their act together. 

I mean to say, a 5-year warranty is all well and good but when the mower breaks down and one has to hire a contractor for a couple of months, then where's the benefit?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 66,782 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Now, to Simon. EGO and HD have an agreed upon repair time of 4-6 weeks. EGO wants to get involved if the repair hits 4 weeks. Give EGO CS a call and they will get involved.
They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).

As well, you can call this number.
You can always get real-time updates on your mower's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case. 
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 1,412 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Well in the case of the OP, I agree with you - but I see endless posts of people trying to reach EGO CS - that get nothing but busy signals, hanging on the line for an hour or more, never getting promised callbacks, unresolved cases getting mysteriously closed for some reason. The list goes on. I'm sure they are actually great and competent people, but dismally understaffed for the number of issues they deal with.  JMHO. Sorry, but it's not a way to run a business.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 66,782 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Frank, I'm sure you're aware that forums like these attract way more negative posts than positive. It's the nature of people to complain more than not complain. I'm sure there are way more positive CS experiences but they just aren't posted. I know my one CS experience was very positive. There have been a fair number of positive posts on here besides mine. 
However, even one bad experience can sway some people reading about that experience so it behooves EGO to improve. I feel they are working on it. (just my feeling based on no formal info)
But, this forum is more for helping users resolve problems with their tools. Whether it be user error or some problem with the tool, that is the main purpose of this forum. Complaining and not doing anything but complaining falls on deaf ears for the most part since EGO doesn't play here anymore. 
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 1,412 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Mike - yes, I get it. Happy customers are not very vocal, but unhappy customers make a lot of noise. I totally believe that. (I myself am very pleased with my EGO equipment.) I will say if that is true and the warranty period defect rate is only a measly 0.1% or whatever - then why can't CS keep up with that microscopic call volume and answer the phone and return calls promptly?
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You add to the tilt Frank.  "endless posts"  really ?  Endless?

I called customer service a couple weeks ago with a question and my call was answered immediately.  Please add that to your statistics.  All calls answered immediately
Photo of MattG

MattG

I'm glad this post is helping others. I will say I truly believe this product has and is not being tested properly and I still believe this issue is much greater. There are 12 me-toos and 22 followers of the post at this point (6 months since I created this post to see if others are having the same issue). I really don't believe my problem was a corner case situation and I'm sure there are tons more that just haven't found this forum and are struggling with the same problem. As an engineer I feel the issue is in the folding area of this product (it's pinching the cables in my opinion). I used to fold the 1st mower after every use and I have not folded my replacement model since I got it. I have had no issues with the replacement model, but I feel if I where to fold it after every use the same issue would come back. I know EGO knows there is a problem here, but they are unwilling to put an official recall out and/or make an announcement. I work for a manufacturer of technology and it's the same thing, it's a risk vs reward. EGO sells thousands of these and if they have a small percentage of returns based on a known issue of failure they are still making out and will not solve the root cause. They would rather have the small percentage bring it to HD or return it within the 90 days. For all the fanboys saying they have had great customers service, good for you, for those like myself who had a terrible customer service with EGO, well again that's our experience and I'm glad to be able to have this place to share that. BTW good customer service means the manufacturer or partner they go with follows up with their consumer, not the other way around. If my company did that we would no longer be a 25+ billion dollar company. Again great for those fanboys to say we as consumers should follow up and fortunately I did that to get my replacement quickly. Good luck all, I will never purchase another EGO product myself.
Photo of Lawrence Chen

Lawrence Chen

You could be right about the issue being the folding area pinching the cables.  I just got my mower back from HD repair and they had to replace the entire handle assembly.  I'm going to take your advice and not fold my mower from now on.