LM2100SP runs but doesn’t cut the grass

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Solved
I charged up the battery, put the bag on after removing the mulch attachment. I turned it on and it self propelled across the nearest overgrown 6 inch high or so Centipede and St Augustine yard, barely putting any grass in the bag. It looked as though I had not cut it at all. I even tried several times to cut 9 or so inch tall dandelion and all it did was lie it down on the ground after the sixth or seventh time; it did not cut it.

It looks like I have no choice but to return it to Home Depot because the phone line for ego put me on hold for five hours without answering and didn’t respond to my message. They tell you on the machine to come in here but then you find message warning that they will hide any “grievance.” This is my first use of the mower and I counted on it to work. The landlord wants me to cut the lawn. I have never owned a mower that didn’t cut the grass before. Very disappointed.

I had the lowest setting on after trying the middle setting and it never made any clear path of any sort that showed it had cut the grass. What have I failed to do? I will keep the mower only if I can get a quick answer from ego or someone that leads to it working. I’m overdue cutting the lawn.
Photo of Mary

Mary

• 308 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • shocked

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of George

George

• 346 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Are you sure the blade has been installed correctly and not upside down? Have you tried starting on the highest setting since the grass is so high?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
This may sound crazy, but is the blade running? The first time my wife cut the grass with our mower she engaged the self propel without turning the blade on.
Photo of Kenneth Wood

Kenneth Wood

• 334 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Does it sound like the mower is running. Try using it without using the self propelled function and see if it cuts. the motor than runs self propelled is separate from the one that runs the mower blade.
Photo of Mary

Mary

It put a tiny bit of grass in the bag. I did not install the blade; it came installed. The grass is 4-6 inches. It just didn’t do anything as though the blade is higher than the grass. I started with it at three and lowered it to the lowest setting and it never did anything. It would be lunacy to raise it higher. How are you suggesting I engage the blades besides by pulling the bailer and then the SP? I followed the directions. I heard the motor running. Also I could not tell how to run it when I turned off self propel. How do you do it? Am I thinking I am engaging the blade but I’m not? Why aren’t the instructions clear?
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Press and hold the safety key in while pulling the bail bar. You can release the safety key once the blade is on as long as you do not release the bail bar and stop the blade, at which point you have to push the safety key again to restart the blade.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,496 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
It sounds like you may not be pressing the safety key. Also, what got me the first time was I didn't fully extend the handles out. Sometimes a video is worth more than written instructions: 
Photo of Mary

Mary

What key? There is a safety button and I pushed it and let go? Ok i will try holding it in and see if it mows.
(Edited)
Photo of Mary

Mary

It worked. I’ll edit back my original post a little thanks. Oh looks like it’s too late to reword my original post. Sorry.
(Edited)
Photo of David Love

David Love

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Mary, I also just purchased a self propelled unit like you did.  Like you the motor did not start for me.  But it did start for my wife.  The "trick"  seemed to be in the black safety bar.  She moved it several times and finally it started.  
My concern is that it only cut 1/2 of my "small (50x50) back yard before the battery quit.  
Hopefully it wasn't charged well enough.

Dave
Photo of David Love

David Love

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So my mower deck was clogged.  After cleaning it worked fine.  Operator error.
Photo of Mary

Mary

Mine started. I simply didn’t realize the blade wasn’t engaged. All that went wrong was that I didn’t know to hold down the Safety button until I pressed the bailer. I had thought I only needed to press it. Everything is fine now. Mine got the whole job done on one charge. Small front and back yard. The self propel really worked well. Even worked well on a small incline area.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
YAY. Glad your fixed up Mary. Because I figured it was an incorrectly installed blade. Nice job Brian with that link to YouTube.
Photo of George

George

• 346 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yes, happy to hear!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,908 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Amazing how great the forum works when someone comes and calmly asks questions, is open to suggestions, and does not give up immediately.   Soooooooo much nicer than the recent bouts of hysteria that have popped up. 
A very helpful group on this forum, but people have to be willing to listen and accept help.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Amen!!!
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,206 Points 50k badge 2x thumb