LM2100SP Mower is a real workhorse but now I have a problem with vibration and noise

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Solved

I've watched some videos on EgoPowerPlus.com and YouTube and read my mower manual several times about how exactly to remove and sharpen the blade.

I put a screwdriver into the small hole to stop the blade from turning while loosening the nut. It wasn't super easy but I removed the blade. The washer fell to the floor but I picked it back up. It may sound silly but I wanted to try out removing the blade before I sharpen it.
I then put the washer back, ensuring the flat side is aligned with the flat side on the mower.
I inserted the blade and tightened it up. The "this side toward the lawn" is facing "down" or towards the grass. I start the mower and there is excessive vibrating and a bit of additional noise. I took it off and checked the "balance" of the blade and it was dead on. There was really no need to check as I didn't do anything but take it off and put it back but I felt like it anyhow.

I tightened again paying attention to how tight it was and it's pretty solid (I tried a couple levels of tightness and of course there are varying degrees of additional vibration and noise but still there.
What could I have done wrong?
There's a washer, a blade, and a nut. Boy do I feel inadequate!

Photo of Steve Mann

Steve Mann

• 496 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Sometimes the simple things are most complicated to solve. I haven't had to sharpen my blade yet, but it concerns me that you're having this problem. Sounds like you have done everything right. Hopefully someone with experience maintaining the blade join the conversation.
Photo of Steve Mann

Steve Mann

amen. I can take the simplest possible anything and break it. I'm confident that I did do something wrong - hopefully it's obvious to someone.
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 6,786 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Look on page 26 in your manual and notice the second larger inner flange in figure 25 - do you have it and the round white fan positioned and seated correctly/well?    There are five pieces to get positioned just right on the motor spindle.  Getting them all just right is necessary for the machine to run right*.

*(I once put the fan in upside down and the machine wouldn't start...got a flashing orange light)   
Photo of Steve Mann

Steve Mann

I spent quite a bit of time with this page 26 you speak of. She and I have become comfortable with one another. I even went out today to purchase a second torque wrench just to see if that was it (I didn't go nuts but my current one doesn't go near what the EGO requirements are for this tightening). I did not remove the fan or the flange. However, I'll give that another look to see if it loosened during the process.
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

I don't use a fancy wrench - just a set of socket wrenches from Home Depot.   
Photo of Steve Mann

Steve Mann

I wasn't inclined to but I was getting frustrated. Anyhow, I have news.
Photo of Steve Mann

Steve Mann

ok Senhor Hanson, there's hope for us yet. In between the latest "I'm no fancy-pants wrench master" post and now, I went back outside to brave the Florida heat and have a go at it. Mr. EGO 2102SP you're not going to beat me!
So I undid the whole mess and lookie here?! The fan was, in fact, slightly disloged (ok ok Sibyl, you're just a show-off) and I re-seated the whole thing and yeah-I-used-my-fancy-$20-Harbor-Freight torque wrench and lit 'er up and she purred like the kitten we know she is.
She's running purty now. thanks for your help.
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

I'm thrilled!  My first time to help anyone.   YAY!!!  I feel like a junior junior sub-champion!
Photo of Steve Mann

Steve Mann

you done good!