LM2022SP - Blade Sharp Enough out of the Box?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Lawn mower blade sharpening advice wanted

I just purchased the LM2022SP steel deck mower. I have not received it yet, but I read a review that indicated the blade needed sharpening out of the box before it provided the best cut. Should I need to have the blade sharpened before first use?
Photo of David Nichols

David Nichols

• 248 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of David Ceremuga

David Ceremuga

• 662 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It is not very sharp out of the box, probably for safety reasons.  Average Joe could cut themselves with it.  I do a sharpen right out of the box, and after every cut.  It does not take long if you do it often and not let it get really bad.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 51,160 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Probably not, but you may want to check as some have found sharpening out of the box helpful. Just know that a sharp blade has a bigger effect with this mower than your old gas mower. 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 24,580 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Mine was "sharp enough" that I was happy with how it cut out of the box. After the blade got a couple of dings in it I decided to sharpen it and I think it cut better after sharpening than as received. Might be worth your while to go ahead and use it as received and see if you are happy with it. The blade is real easy to remove and reinstall so even if you don't like the first cut, you can get the blade off, sharpened, and back on pretty quickly.  
Photo of Woody Crandall

Woody Crandall

• 1,294 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
My blade was sharp enough "out of the box" to cut my Saint Augustine grass for the full season.  Your mileage may vary!
Photo of David Ceremuga

David Ceremuga

• 662 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I couldn't edit my original post.  A dull blade has a huge impact on the run time of your battery.  I sharpen every week or my run time goes progressively goes down. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 149,464 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agreed with all the above. Sharper blade = better cut and longer run times.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 2,702 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Both ours were sharp enough to cut more than two acres the whole season, but, in full disclosure, we are not lawn proud, or obsessed with having it putting green smooth. If the grass is shorter than when we started, we're good with it. So, looking back now, it might have gotten a bit shaggier later on, and did noticed run time was down a bit. but we chalked it up to waiting too long between cuts, so they had to work harder. Didn't think about dull blades. Based on the other comments, I will be reform my ways and try sharpening. You're gonna love the new toy!
(Edited)
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 2,702 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Btw, it is easy to sharpen blades yourself, just a good file and a couple of strokes, exactly like sharpening a kitchen knife. You just want to whet the edge, not alter the cutting angle. You can even do dinged blades yourself, just takes more elbow grease and being careful to rehone the edge to a good angle. If you have a grinder, you can fix em up in a few minutes. Badly dinged blades might be easier to take someplace.
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 24,580 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I use this Smith's sharpener as well as a file and the combo works very well.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 46,804 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I use this sharpener and it works very well for me. I do need to pick up a decent file, though.

I sharpen at the beginning of the season and again halfway through. But I live in the North and mow an average mix of turf grasses. If I lived in the South and had to deal with a tougher variety of grass I'd probably sharpen more often.

Removing the blade of an Ego mower is easier than a gas mower because you don't have to worry about spilling gas.
Photo of Fred Clarke

Fred Clarke

• 768 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The documentation says it is very sharp out of the box. Because it has problems cutting the grass evenly most recommend sharpening the blade often. I don't see any difference in how it cuts
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 2,682 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Ours cuts evenly, and the lawn looks lovely, when we do it at normal intervals. We take responsibility for being too busy in the summer with work to keep up. We demand a lot of the machines: country lawns, trails, mowing down light rough, and they are still working like champs.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.