LM2022SP 20" Steel Deck versus LM2102SP 21" Plastic Deck

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
I am trying to decide between LM2022SP 20" Steel Deck versus LM2102SP 21" Plastic Deck.

I need a mower for my new bermuda lawn that is starting to come out of dormancy.

The LM2022SP is currently $749 at Home Depot and the LM2102SP is $499.

I understand that the steel deck has a brushless motor compared to the brushed 21" but is that worth the $250 price difference?

My back yard is completely level but my front yard has a slight grade and in reading the specs on Home Depot's website, it appears the steel deck weighs less and also has a shorter nose which could make it easier to maneuver?

Any help deciding between these is greatly appreciated, I need to make a decision this week
Photo of Michael Brown

Michael Brown

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of summetj

summetj

• 6,372 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I've never seen or used the steel deck mower, but I've used the 21" plastic deck for over a year.  (I think I paid $550 for it then...)

You can read the review of it I wrote last year here: https://www.summet.com/blog/2017/10/21/ego-21-self-propelled-56-volt-power-plus-lawnmower-review/

From a value standpoint, I can't imagine anything about the steel deck version that would be worth $250 more than the plastic deck version....
Photo of JWBozo

JWBozo

• 1,488 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I had the plastic deck first.  I did not like how the front stuck out and would leave about 4-5 inches of uncut grass when you'd butt up to a fence or a wall.  The steel deck has a much shorter "snout" on the front.
I like to side discharge.  The plastic mower side discharge is in the back and I didn't think it worked very well.  The steel deck has a side discharge similar to every other mower on the market.
I preferred the brushless motor to the one with brushes.  It might be in my head, but I think the brushless motor delivers more RPM's.
I think the steel deck is more maneuverable than the plastic deck.  I also think it's easier to clean under the steel deck mower.
That may not sound like a $250 difference, but it was worth it to me.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,780 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Michael, in addition to the great info shared above, you can compare the specs of the two mowers here, manuals are available online:

https://egopowerplus.com/collections/...
Photo of Michael Brown

Michael Brown

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank for the responses, I have gone ahead and ordered the steel deck from Home Depot's website.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 2,892 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I have a couple of questions.  Does anybody else have a Ego dual battery self-propelled mower  be sides myself?  I trying to understand why someone would pay over $700 dollars for a steel deck single battery self-propelled mower, when they can buy a dual battery brushless self- propelled mower for about the same price.  I used my mower yesterday for the second time.  I can't believe the torque and running time it has compared to my single battery self-propelled mower.  They both have brushless motors.  Is the steel deck that important over power, torque, and running times.  Am I missing something here???
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 68,186 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I do not think you are missing anything.  A lot of the information you mention has only just come to light.  It has been a mystery up to about a week ago what features this mower had beside longer run time.  We now know it is brushless and provides more torque in addition to longer run time.  I agree it is now their top of the line mower.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,188 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
William

Did you have any issue with the cut grass being visible after mowing with the single battery mower.  i.e. not quite mulched enough. 

Does the dual battery mower eliminate this issue for you
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 3,242 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Yes, it does.  Our house is on top of a hill.  We have grades in front of the house and steep grades behind the house.  My single battery lawn mower would get hot three to four times (orange light) while I was cutting, plus I had to change batteries. I, also, had to cut at a very slow setting. I cut our lawn at 31/2 inches (number 5 setting).  It is thick Kentucky blue grass sod.  I am using the heavier up lift blade.  My dual battery lawn mower never gets hot and I can set it at a faster setting and cut the grass completely and level.  The batteries never get hot because they are both being used at the same time.  It looks like I am the only person on this site that has this lawn mower.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

I think Ego has a large stock of single battery self-propelled mowers and need to sell them, so they kind of down played the dual battery lawn mower by not mentioning all the upgrades it has.  I kind of feel bad that people are willing to pay over $700 for a single battery lawn mower, because they don't have all the facts on this new one.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,168 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I doubt that.  If that was the case they would just not introduce the new mower.  I do not think anyone brings a product to market with the hopes of it not selling well.  Just a matter of getting the info updated on HD website to include all of the features.

another discussion about it here
https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/new-ego-21-self-propelled-mower-with-two-5-0ah-batteri...

Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

They mentioned all the features on their snow blower and steel deck lawn mower, but somehow  forgot to mention those features on the new lawn mower.  If they mentioned those features how many people would buy their existing stock.  Even when I called them, they gave me the wrong information.  Do you think that they are that incompetent.  Even when I bought my new BMW, the dealership was tight lipped regarding the features of the new model.  They had so many of the 2017 old models on their lot that they wanted to sell.  Maybe that is a bad analogy, but it makes you think about their motives.  You guys had to pressure them to give you the updated information.  If it wasn't for that youtube video by the tool guys, I wouldn't have purchased it.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,168 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think it was just an oversight.  Again makes no sense to release the new product if you are worried about selling the existing inventory.  Heck they have 5 different string trimmers.   I do not think we pressured them into giving us info, I think we just asked.  Happens all the time here - we ask a technical question - Amber asks an engineer - Amber shares the info.   Just so happens that this one was about a product feature that wasn't listed in the description. 

It is out there just not super clear.
per HD website
Combines the power of any 2 batteries for unrivaled performance
and
Its PeakPower technology combines the power of 2 EGO batteries for longer run time and efficient power draw

These are similar description to the snow blower.  It is the same Peak Power system that we know provides more power and torque in the snow blower.

So, like I say perhaps an over sight or just us not understanding.  But I still think they should spell it out plainly in the product description exactly what the benefits are.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

I just went on their website and I don't see any updates.  Why do you think no one is buying this new lawn mower.  The biggest reason is they think it doesn't have a brushless motor.  Do you think that if they had all the updates on this new lawn mower, people would be paying $740 on a single battery lawn mower.  It doesn't take much to update their website.  All the complaints I been reading for the last two weeks are that there is no advantage for this new lawn mower except for the extra battery.  Remember, not everyone is on this forum getting the latest information.  All they can go by is the information the Ego's website.  Ego reads all these comments and still haven't updated their website.  Ego is a good company, but like any other company they need to minimize their loses.  I like that you give them a the benefit of the doubt.  I have been a business man for most of my life and kind of know how companies run their business's.  Maybe, give them a call and ask them why they are not updating their website.  On their website they do mention that the snow blower has a brushless motor.  Remember, the biggest issue was the brushless motor and they still haven't updated their website.  Think about all the people who are not on this forum that don't have this information.  I bought my lawn mower before I joined the forum.  I just did some research on Google to find out why this lawn mower is an upgrade from my old one.  Most people don't take the time to research products, except from what they read from the company.  Remember, Ego is reading our conversations and let's see if they update their information on this new lawn mower.
Photo of Krystle Muhme

Krystle Muhme

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi All, 

Forgive me if I overlooked this in one of the previous posts but this is my first time buying a lawn mower. We have about a half acre to mow and have been deciding between the LM2102SP (549.00) and LM2142SP( 749.00 HD -that has the steel deck and 2 batteries --required at the same time). We have a slight grade in the backyard but the front yard is flat. Any insight as to what would work better? 
Photo of Krystle Muhme

Krystle Muhme

And I could, theoretically, just buy a spare battery for the LM2102SP? To avoid downtime if extra time is needed to complete the job.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 6,372 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You might be able to mow your full lawn with a single 7.5 AH battery, but I expect you'll have to recharge at least once to do the full lawn. With the more expensive mower you'd have 10 AH....but the other option is to just buy the cheaper mower with an additional 7.5 AH battery to get 15AH....OR, you could mow the front part one day and the back part another day....
Photo of Krystle Muhme

Krystle Muhme

Ha, never mind. Just saw the spare battery cost for 7.5mAh 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,188 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
batteries are much more affordable when purchased in kits with the tools.
all batteries work in all tools so it does not have to be a 7.5
Photo of Krystle Muhme

Krystle Muhme

Also, true. Thank you all so much for the input. :)