LM2022SP 20" Steel Deck versus LM2102SP 21" Plastic Deck

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
I am trying to decide between LM2022SP 20" Steel Deck versus LM2102SP 21" Plastic Deck.

I need a mower for my new bermuda lawn that is starting to come out of dormancy.

The LM2022SP is currently $749 at Home Depot and the LM2102SP is $499.

I understand that the steel deck has a brushless motor compared to the brushed 21" but is that worth the $250 price difference?

My back yard is completely level but my front yard has a slight grade and in reading the specs on Home Depot's website, it appears the steel deck weighs less and also has a shorter nose which could make it easier to maneuver?

Any help deciding between these is greatly appreciated, I need to make a decision this week
Photo of Michael Brown

Michael Brown

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of summetj

summetj

• 3,980 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I've never seen or used the steel deck mower, but I've used the 21" plastic deck for over a year.  (I think I paid $550 for it then...)

You can read the review of it I wrote last year here: https://www.summet.com/blog/2017/10/21/ego-21-self-propelled-56-volt-power-plus-lawnmower-review/

From a value standpoint, I can't imagine anything about the steel deck version that would be worth $250 more than the plastic deck version....
Photo of JWBozo

JWBozo

• 1,488 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I had the plastic deck first.  I did not like how the front stuck out and would leave about 4-5 inches of uncut grass when you'd butt up to a fence or a wall.  The steel deck has a much shorter "snout" on the front.
I like to side discharge.  The plastic mower side discharge is in the back and I didn't think it worked very well.  The steel deck has a side discharge similar to every other mower on the market.
I preferred the brushless motor to the one with brushes.  It might be in my head, but I think the brushless motor delivers more RPM's.
I think the steel deck is more maneuverable than the plastic deck.  I also think it's easier to clean under the steel deck mower.
That may not sound like a $250 difference, but it was worth it to me.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 149,464 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Michael, in addition to the great info shared above, you can compare the specs of the two mowers here, manuals are available online:

https://egopowerplus.com/collections/...
Photo of Michael Brown

Michael Brown

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank for the responses, I have gone ahead and ordered the steel deck from Home Depot's website.