LM2000 Equivalent Gas Engine Horsepower

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
I've owned an LM2000 (56v 20") for 3 years.  The spec's for this mower say this motor is 800 watts.  Google translates this to 0.8 mechanical HP.  This performs far better than a mower would with a 0.8 HP gas engine would, so the LM2000 must have a lot higher torque than an equivalent-HP gasoline engine.  I remember way back decades ago when I was a teenager using a smaller 3 HP gas mowers when compared to the much more powerful 6.5 HP mowers of today.  My LM2000 seems like it's close, if not at least equal to, the mowing capability of those old 3 HP mowers.  I'm hoping someone might have enough information to be able to say what the rough-equivalent HP would be in a gas mower.
Photo of Brad Mosch

Brad Mosch

• 70 Points

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 48,552 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
With electric motors it is all torque, power available immediately. Electric automobiles will smoke a gas equivalent off the line, but the gas usually wins in the long run. So electric motors are well suited for lawn tools.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 61,548 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
My mower I built runs off of 0.75 hp. It's 51" wide. I don't know what size gas mower that would take but I would guess no less than 6 hp. They are reels.
My point is I think the comparison cannot be made as they aren't apples to apples.

The 20" mower has a 600 watt motor. Must have been a typo as that is about 0.8 hp.

It's crazy when you think about it. Like how are gas motors rated so high? I believe they are rated at their peak hours at Stall.