Lithium Ion Battery question: I hear scary things about L.I. batteries. They can spontaneously blow up or catch fire. Are yours safe?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Lithium Ion Battery question:  I hear scary things about L.I. batteries.   They can spontaneously blow up or catch fire.  Are yours safe?
Photo of Peter Wendel

Peter Wendel

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Rarely, very rarely. All about how the battery is engineered. Otherwise we would have a lot of people with rear end injuries from phones blowing up.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Isnt it lithium polymer that is dangerous?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I think LiPo are more sensitive to abuse like overcharging or overtemp. As far as I know, most Lithium batteries will go into one form or another of thermal runaway if abused too much.

Having said that, and in response to the original question, cheap cell producers are for the most part responsible for the bad reputation Lithium batteries have earned. High quality cells in well managed and protected packs with intelligent charging systems are rarely to blame.

Thankfully Ego batteries are in the latter group and after three years in the market I have yet to hear of someone having a safety concern with an Ego pack. They are among, if not THE, most well Engineered battery packs on the market.
Photo of Peter Wendel

Peter Wendel

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Many thanks, everyone.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
No problem, Peter!